Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   EXTENDED AIRPORT PARKING? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/extended-airport-parking-688414/)

chellyroo Mar 16th, 2007 11:22 AM

EXTENDED AIRPORT PARKING?

My husband and I are going on our first vacation that requires air travel, and we are at a loss as to whether to leave our car at the airport for the week we'll be gone or have someone take us and pick us up. We will be flying out of Atlanta. I looked on their website and found the daily rates, but I also saw where they show which lots are full and it looked like all the extended lot were. So--- can you reserve a spot? Is a car safe left at an airport? Any hel appreciated, Atlanta is about 2 hours from where we live so it would be a drive for someone to take and pick us up.

NewbE Mar 16th, 2007 11:29 AM

I have left my car at many airports for up to 14 days and have always felt safe--these lots are usually well-protected. Sorry I can't help with Atlanta specifically. Can you take a shuttle to the airport? I know a cab would be very pricy for a 2 hour ride! But many towns often have van service to the nearest airport.
Good luck!

Pugsly Mar 16th, 2007 11:41 AM

Congrats on your big trip. I don't live in Arlanta but have flow in and out of there many times. There are a number of extended parking facilities that are close to the airport but not affiliated with it so you won't see those on the airport website. Do a google search for Atlanta airport parking and you'll find them. You park your car in a secure lot and they shuttle you to the airport and pick you up when you come home.

starrsville Mar 16th, 2007 11:48 AM

Okay. I've flown in and out of Atlanta for a couple of decades. If you want to save money, park in the "economy" lots and take the airport shuttle to the terminal. Be sure to allow plenty of extra time for parking and riding.

I've parked at almost all of the off-airport parking lots, and my favorite BY FAR is The Parking Spot. You can drive to the airport and follow the Camp Creek exit to the Parking Spot. You can go 285 West and exit at Camp Creek.

The vans are bright yellow with black spots. The drivers will help you will your bags. You will be given complimentary sodas/water as you depart after your trip. The vans run almost continually.

The reason I like them best, is that they've made me wait the LEAST of all the shuttle vans (including the airport Economy lot van), they are nice and helpful and they run a good business.

Oh. And one more reason. I travel with a DL and CC in my jeans pocket. When I got to my hotel in Florida, I reached for my wallet - and it was gone. When I checked phone messages two days later I had a message from The Parking Spot. A driver had found it on the pavement, turned it in and it stayed in the safe for a week until my return. I was thrilled to have all my cards intact AS WELL AS about $80 in cash.

www.theparkingspot.com

I don't use anyone else from the Atlanta airport.

kp Mar 16th, 2007 11:50 AM

We've found that renting a car is the easiest. We started doing this after my DH didn't remember if he locked the car doors and we had to call home from Greece to have someone check on the car!

starrsville Mar 16th, 2007 11:51 AM

More - I noticed that there was a new The Parking Spot van coloration the last time I flew. Go to their website and see the two options for parking lots at the Atlanta airport. I've always used the one on Camp Creek (the first one). I've never made a reservation. They have a frequent parking program, but haven't joined.

chellyroo Mar 16th, 2007 03:07 PM

"Preciate all the suggestions and experiences! I have seen The PArking Spot mentioned on other message boards as well, with excellent references. I'm liking the idea of looking into renting a car, seems the least hassle, maybe. Depends on price, as I hear Grand Cayman is WAY pricey so we're trying to save all we can!! :)