Explosions Rock Montana. Any new info?

Mar 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Explosions Rock Montana. Any new info?

Kureiff or others, what happened?

There was a huge gas explosion at 8:12 am in the historic district of downtown Bozeman last Thursday, March 5. Tragically, a woman who went to high school with one of my brothers was killed. She worked for Montana Trails Gallery. Very sad. Boodles Restaurant, The Rocking R Bar, Lily Lu's, and the American Legion Building are also gone. According to an eye witness, "the explosion blew up 200 feet into the air," ripped apart buildings, shattered glass in apparently dozens of nearby businesses, and sent parked cars into the street. The shock waves (?) could be felt one-half mile away. I've read that the main gas lines were not compromised, but others are saying it was a 12-inch main line.

Then oddly, the next day (I believe) around 11:00 am, Whitehall, which is a town located about 60 miles away, also had some sort of an explosion which caused a fire that destroyed three downtown buildings. That one happened hours after a 4.2 earthquake struck around 4:30 am. The epicenter was 12 miles away. I've read they're not sure if the earthquake had anything to do with it.

I lived in Bozeman for several years and am interested in finding out what happened. Has anyone heard what caused these?
Mar 10th, 2009, 01:16 PM

According to TV news, both were caused by broken gas lines the reason unknown.
Mar 10th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Do they suspect foul play? Is that a possibility?
Mar 11th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Today's paper said indications are that a frezzer "blew up" in the Whitehall case.
No foul play found in either case.

Search this Thread