Reload this Page >

Expedia/Homewood Suites-WDW Nightmare

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Joelle

I just had a nightmare of a vacation and I would like to extend a warning to everyone plus ask for advice.

Since there were too many negative things that happened last week, I will just cut to the chase. I booked Homewood Suites from expedia.com. I arrived last Tuesday and there were no rooms available (even though they had my reservation which was pre-paid).

H.S. finally found me a room, which I arrived at 4 hours later, being on hold for 30 mintues with their staff due to wrong directions and pleading with Sheraton staff for a room that didn't smell like an ash-tray.

The next day H.S. again couldn't promise me a room and there were about 8 other families yelling and screaming. The managers would not face us at all and they had their front desk staff take the entire brunt of the storm. We left for a park because we didn't want to waste another day and prayed that a room was available when we arrived that evening.

H.S.'s compensation was one night because they eventually we're able to find us a room even though we we waited another 2 hours the next day. Was that enough compensation for me??? I don't think so.

Then I called Expedia and Expedia said H. S. should refund me the $$. H.S. said Expedia should refund me the $$.

Does anyone have any advice or could help with my refund dilemna? Can I write to Homewood Suites and tell them what horrible management exists at their WDW location???

I appreciate all comments!!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Soundsbad

Without a travel agent your on your own. One call to your TA could have solved the problem by finding you a room at the nearest hotel or a direct call with the manager. It is part of the service travel agents provide. Last time this happend to a client of mine, I informed them of their rights, called the manager who knew he had to provide a room, at that hotel or another comparable hotel ASAP. Expedia wouldn't do that, in fact, they simply laid blame on the other guy.

Done with "Use a TA" speech. I do want to say though that it is common practice to overbook to ensure full occupancy at the hotels. Airlines, hotels, even car rental places overbook. They predict a certain amount of no-shows based on the past % of no shows they recieve. It is perfectly legal and rarely becomes an issue, but when it does, it is messy. I am sorry for your trouble, I know it tends to ruin your vacation when you get off to such a bad start.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Patti

Wow Joelle, that totally sucks!
I would pursue Expedia. It seems to me that if Expedia sold you the room, they should be held responsible since when you arrived, a room was not available.
I wouldn't let this rest, that's just what they (Expedia and HS) are hoping you will do.
Get on the horn to Expedia and don't stop until you get some results you are satisfied with! This could become a total pain in your butt, so write down everything you are told, and get names of the people you speak to. Keep a record of all your conversations with the dates.
Good luck.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:38 PM
xxx3

Don't forget to also contact your credit card company -- they should be on your side, since you didn't get what you paid for.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:17 PM
liz

yes, go with your credit card comp. They will be the quickest and they will take care of all the paperwork. Don't give up though.
good luck

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Faina

Joelle, I beleive when making reservations with Expedia you paid them, not some hotel. So call your credit card dispute department and ask for advise how to get your money back. Also you can contact BBB and maybe a TV station like NBC can help?

And don't listen to BS that a travel agent would solve this situation better then Expedia.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 03:45 PM
anon

You all pitch fits here about TA's, but in this case if you would have had one, you wouldn't be going thru this crap-o now. They do have their good points once in awhile....just ONCE in a while.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Susan

Joelle -
Let us know how things turn out. Good luck.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:07 PM
not really true

I had a travel agent book me a roach infested room in Orlando, but funny how you are STILL on your own because you can't reach anyone at the travel agency in the evening when the roaches come out of their hiding place! So, I had to spend 5 hours trying to find another room since the hotel refused to do anything but move me to another room in their hotel (no thanks!). So, having a travel agent is not any magical cure for problems!!!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:16 PM
lisa

Sorry for your experience. Good luck going after Expedia. I also want to express my sorrow about the travel agency booked roach motel. Yes, it's true that your agent wasn't available at night (although some have 24 hour lines.) But, at least you had a building and a person to go to when you wanted to complain after your vacation. You could basically park yourself in the agency until they resolved the situation. This poor poster has only an internet site.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:09 PM
John

Some TA's have 24 hr availablity? Can you name some of those?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Bob

Boy, the travel agency business must be really hopping if you TA's have nothing better to do but to post here defending yourselves.

Hertz and Avis just cut your commissions. If the cruise lines were smart they would start selling on-line then you guys would be obsolete....

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:39 AM
brandi

Actually cruise lines do have online booking engines and hertz and avis only cut commissions on corp rates wich doesn't apply to most agencies anyway. Boy, you must be really buisy at work to have to to post here too. As long as clients need us and want good advice and problem solvers, then we will not be obsolete....Why is it that so many people are telling me my job is soo useless and yet I still have loyal clients and getting new ones every day? Come back when you have something true and smart to say, ok?
Brandi

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Rachel

More proof of why I prefer quikbook.com over priceline or expedia-you don't pay for your room until you actually check in. It does give you more leverage. In addition to the suggestions of other posters, I would contact Hilton, the parent company of Homewood Suites, in writing, not by phone, and explain the poor treatment you received, the inconveniences suffered and request additional compensation. Don't expect the entire stay to be covered, you did receive some benefit, but perhaps 2-3 nights, or up to half of your stay. Be persistant-if they don't respond, write again. I always go to the web sites and aim for the top-CEO, VP's. I look for their corporate reports for stockholders to get the names of executive officers.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:37 AM
C william

I don't think it was Expedia's fault that the hotel was overbooked, but they should take action to rectify the matter. I place the blame with the hotel who's poor management in a bad situation caused unnecessary grief for Joelle. While a travel might not have been available after hours to assist the client right away, I do agree with Lisa in that a travel agent would be easier to work with in resolving a matter like this then an online site (contrary to Faina's BS advice). And John, I am a travel agent who offers personal 24 hour assistance to my clients, and have woken many a late night to assist a client in distress. I'd give you my # but my plate is full. Sorry to hear that 'not really true' was booked by an agent into a roach-infested hotel, I do this only to my in-laws. And finally to Bob, who thinks we're soon to be obsolete...guess what? I've seen airlines, cruise lines and many online services go out of business in the last few years, yet my business has been increasing by 20-30% per year. Dunno, I must be doing something right. I, like Brandi, have hundreds of loyal clients who've been with my for 5-10 years. A travel agent's service is not required by everyone, and that's fine with me. My business does not require an accountant, I find it easy to do it myself. I would never be ignorant enough to say acountants are obsolete. Oh, and Bob, defending oneself is a natural reaction to nonstop criticism.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:49 AM
yeah

Just let me say from experience, often a TA is of little or no help when you get bounced from a room or fail to receive what's promised. Been there with TAs, done that, ain't doin' it again.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Jess

Brandi and C-You have clients because they are either too lazy or too stupid to research and book trips themselves. Travel agents have had a monopoly on the travel business for a long time, it's time to let go of your little fiefdom. IMO, it's just a matter of time before you all go the way of the Edsel. And C, I bet you take calls all hours of the night for your pitiful salary and commission structure.

By the way Brandi, a lot of us posting here are either self-employed or salaried employees who either do project work and are paid for by the project or we put in way more than 40 hours a week so employers don't care what the heck we do as long as our job is done. Something you low-paid agents will never understand...

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:12 PM
C William

Wow, how we digress. Jess, you seem to have some anger issues. Were you intimidated or insulted by something I said? Attacking someone's career and salary is pretty pathetic. Even a big important project (manager?) like you must agree with that. I wont justify that issue with a response concerning how much I make. Suffice to say surely from the sound if it your's is bigger then mine. BTW, your vast knowledge of commission structure and agent salaries intrigues me. Ex-travel agent? Your info is incorrect. I said travel agent's service is not required by everyone. Those who do use us are lazy and stupid? My corporate clients, all of which are very intelligent and savvy consumers, and many of which are CEO's and presidents of large corporations, would disagree. As for us having an monopoly, a fiefdom (cool word)- that's laughable.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Brandi

Actually, I am salaried, and what does that have to do with anything? My clients are neither stupid or lazy, some just want my help and advice. You need to get off your short bus and wake up. Just because people don't book online like you doesn't make them stupid or lazy. What makes you think such a thing? I honestly want to know why you, high and mighty as you are, are calling millions of people stupid and lazy...so tell me...why??

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Mel

Jess,

When I booked my trip to WDW, I was neither stupid or lazy. I used a TA who was very experienced with WDW. True, there's a ton of reading online and in the library about WDW but having a personal account is much more helpful. They led us to sites or places that we might never have seen. We were new to WDW and wanted our trip to be perfect and thanks to our TA, it was perfect. He took the time to listen to what we wanted from our trip.
You showed your ignorance with your statement.
I've always used a TA for big trips and will continue.
They've earned my business and my respect for what they do.

Jess, how would you feel if someone said something bad about the job your doing behind the counter at 7-11??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -