Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Expedia has dropped the ball (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/expedia-has-dropped-the-ball-692603/)

courtneycwo Mar 30th, 2007 07:16 PM

Expedia has dropped the ball

Hello - I am in a terrible mess tonight. We are leaving first thing in the morning - 5:20 am ferry - to travel with our young children to Scottsdale for spring break.

We booked a package in December through Expedia.com - paid nearly $6000 for airfare / car and 7 night stay at the Fairmont Princess.

I called the hotel tonight to verify our room set up (we asked for 2 beds - to accomodate our family of 4). While speaking with guest services, they reviewed my reservation and saw a booking for 2 nights instead of 7. They recommended I talk to Expedia. Three hours of time on hold / talking to Expedia Customer Service I have learned the following:

1 - They made a mistake and booked us for 2 nights instead of 7.

2 - Even though on the Expedia website they show rooms available at some Scottsdale / Phoenix hotels - they are explaining to me that everything is booked solid.

Long story short - we paid in full for this trip in December. We are supposed to leave in a matter of hours - we have no place to stay.

We are sad / frustrated / confused. We have time off work - dogs @ kennel - suitcases packed - and now I don't think we can go.

Does anyone have any ideas / things I can try to do in the next few hours to right this?

Thanks so much for your help!

socialworker Mar 30th, 2007 07:29 PM

Do you have written confirmation from Expedia for 7 nights? If so, it seems clear that Expedia sold you that number of hotel nights and that it is up to them to make it right. Am I being naive?

dsgmi Mar 30th, 2007 07:31 PM

I think I would get back on the phone with Expedia and keep going up the available ranks until you get some help. Take a VERY careful look at your paid confirmation/receipt that you indeed paid for the correct number of nights and have them fix the problem. Obviously, if yo have been charged for 7 nights and they only booked 2, it seems to me it is their obligation to fix it or find you other suitable accomodations. Get names and times you talked to whomever you talked to.

According to their website, "You can count on us to provide support throughout your trip. Whether you have questions about your itinerary, have a change in travel plans, or need help resolving a problem with the trip you booked, we're here to help 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our job is to satisfy you!

We guarantee that the travel you booked with Expedia will meet the descriptions on our site and in your itinerary (as confirmed on our site within 24 hours of travel), or we will work with our partners on your behalf to find a solution.
We’ll take responsibility—at no additional cost to you—if we make a mistake booking your travel.
If you need to change your travel plans at any time, just call us at 1-800-EXPEDIA (1-404-728-8787 outside the continental U.S.), and we'll work with our partners to find the best available solution."

It seems to me if your itinerary through their site shows 7 days, they need to fix it ASAP.

NeoPatrick Mar 30th, 2007 07:35 PM

Seems very logical to me, socialworker, unless I'm just as naive.

Assuming you have a 7 night reservation from Expedia, I'd give them two alternatives. Provide the other 5 nights of SUITABLE lodging, or refund the full amount -- period. If they can't do it, I'd take my own car and head to a nice place for a week that pehaps you can even drive to. And pocket the rest of the refund.

courtneycwo Mar 30th, 2007 07:58 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies. I finally (after a total of close to 4 hours on the phone) got to speak to a supervisor. I do have record / receipt showing that I paid for 7 nights - had names / dates - so they admitted that they made a mistake.

After much back and forth, they have booked us into the Royal Palms in Scottsdale. I am afraid, however, that this is a small hotel that does not cater to children and we are traveling with a 5 and a 7 year old who were planning on spending the week at the cool water slides at the Fairmont. I am worried that we will be the folks with rambunctious kids in tow, while guest are hoping to have a romantic break ;0 But, in the end, it was either accept this room / hotel or not go.

Thank you for your kind support - it sure made me feel better.

NeoPatrick Mar 31st, 2007 06:59 AM

How interesting. We stayed at the Royal Palms many years ago. It was a charming place that needed a whole lot of work. Somewhere in Europe a few years ago, we started talking with someone and discovered they were friends of the current "owners" of the Royal Palms. They raved about the place. I understand the renovations have made it a top boutique style resort.
I realize people have different tastes, but my guess is, I would personally LOVE this place as opposed to the giant "convention style" Fairmont Princess. As to how the children will be accepted or entertained, I can't say, however.

Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful time. I guess the lesson learned from all this is that if you are trusting ANY agency to book things, you need to do some follow up earlier than the night before. You shouldn't have to, but more and more I'm afraid you do.

TahitiTams Mar 31st, 2007 07:26 AM

Hi courtneycwo..
I use Expedia almost exclusively and they have been always so great and this is a terrible situation that they have put you in...
I just stayed at the Fairmont and it is a lovely property and think it would be perfect for your 2 kids and even though I love the Royal Palms, the Princess is suited best for kids..
with that said, Expedia should call the GM of the Princess and see if your family can have access to the pool and property during your stay at the Palms..
I would call Expedia back and talk to another supervisor and demand that they credit your account for a good chunk of change..you spent $6K and that is a lot of money!
(I was credited to my CC the cost of my hotel in Vancouver from a screw up by Expedia)
I wish you all the best and you are going to have a wonderful time!

lcuy Mar 31st, 2007 08:18 AM

I'm glad you got this resolved, if not to your total satisfaction, at least so you feel okay to head on out.

However, I have learned to never, ever call to confirm hotels except immediately after the initial booking, as long as I have verified that all the details are in writing.

Why? Because if you call and the hotel is overbooked, out of your room type, etc, they are going to tell you not to come, figuring that YOU (or your agent) will make other arrangements.

If, on the other hand, you arrive at the front desk -with written confirmation in hand!- you are now THEIR problem. Most likely they will find you a room, even if they have to upgrade you. THey might have to walk you to another hotel AFTER you have agreed to this new deal (with $$$ compensation arrangements also agreed upon).

Even fully booked hotels can find you a room. You may have to (politely) jump up and down, and it may mean the next person to arrive will find his room has disappeared, but you have a much better negotiating position when you are physically there.

Hope you have a fun break despite the poor beginning. The idea to have Expedia pay for pool passes at the Fairmont Princess sounds good to me, too.

socialworker Apr 1st, 2007 07:51 AM

Ditto to Icuy.....my motto is, "Never ask a question that you don't really want the answer to..." You are absolutely right, IMO, that if one has a confirmation, then it is the hotel, airline, etc. who has the job of making things right, and there is nothing like someone standing right in front of them to jumpstart their motivation.

TheWeasel Apr 1st, 2007 08:07 AM

Sorry guys, but I think the hotel would tell OP the same thing they told her over the phone - contact Expedia as they are the ones who screwed up, not the hotel. It would not be the hotel's responsibility to find accomodations for the OP, it would still be Expedia's problem.

Why would they upgrade an Expedia customer or walk them to another hotel and come up with some monetary compensation when Expedia made the mistake?

Seamus Apr 1st, 2007 09:27 AM

The reason behind the wisdom of lcuy's approach is that once you are in the room, the hotel has to find a way to deal with you. Not being a travel lawyer I can't cite and won't speculate about legalities, but the practical fact is that once you are ensconced in your room you have much better leverage to bargain. Fortunately I have had to deal with this type situation only rarely (twice that I remember) in years of travel) but based on my experience here's how I would approach it:
1. Print out and save an electronic copy of the confirmation immediately after receiving it and verifying the details are correct.
2. If you feel compelled to confirm directly with the hotel, just ask if they have a reservation in your name and the arrival date.
3. Show up on the appointed date and check in. If the hotel asks you to sign/initial by the checkout date that is incorrect, decline to do so or cross out and write in the correct date. They may give you grief, but stand your ground.
4. Don't argue with front desk staff. If they cannot fix the problem, say something like "We will check in now and contact (Expedia or whatever agent) to resolve.
5. Ask to speak with the GM or manager on duty. Explain the situation and your plan to contact the agent. Do not agree to any alternate arrangements unless they are at least as good in all respects as your original plan. Get the name and number of he person with whom you speak, and the name and number of an alternate contact.
6. Contact the agent, inform them you have your confirmation, offer to fax or email a copy if they claim they cannot find it or their records are different. Escalate to speak to a supervisor as soon as you encounter the first resistance. Give them the name and number of the hotel manager with whom you spoke and ask that they work with him or her to resolve, and set a specific time when they will contact you with a report of what they will do (so you don't have to sit around waiting for a call).
7. Do not accept alternate arrangements that cost you anything, including taxi, etc. Get written (fax or email) confirmation of the arrangement from the agent and do not move until you have it.
8. Do your best to remain calm and civilized throughout.

BTilke Apr 1st, 2007 09:41 AM

I would NOT take Lcuy's advice, as we learned from experience last year. We had arranged for a 5 night stay at the Royal Trofana Hotel (www.trofana.at) in Ischgl. We wanted a luxury spa hotel break with plenty of opportunities to go hiking in the Alps with our dog. When that region was hit by heavy floods in July/August, we checked the hotel's web site (in English) dutifully every day to see if they were affected. No indication that they were. Nor did they email or call us to say they'd been damaged.
While in Baden-Baden, three days before we were to drive down, I called the hotel to find out how long the drive would take realistically (we had the mappy estimates). The woman who answered said, my goodness, we're closed for repairs for the next few weeks! No other even remotely similar hotels in town were open. Apparently, they had missed sending us an email but had put up a small notice on the German language version of their web site (have to say, I think this is very bad behaviour from a 5-star hotel that prides itself on its service).
What on earth would we have done if we had simply showed up (exhausted and hungry) at the end of the day we were scheduled to arrive?

TahitiTams Apr 1st, 2007 09:43 AM

Bottom line, her beef is with Expedia NOT the hotel..
When you book through a third party, it is up to them (Expedia) to resolve any issues and to just "show up" with 2 kids in tow and $6K credit card charge and to stay your ground at the hotel that was directed by Expedia to book only 2 nights instead of 7 nights is absurd..
The hotel is under no obligation to extend their stay, especially since it is sold-out.

NeoPatrick Apr 1st, 2007 10:27 AM

I'll admit to being a bit of a wimp as opposed to making a big fuss, but Seamus what you describe sounds like a vacation from Hell. I think I'd rather cut my losses and just go somewhere else than to "fortress" up in a hotel following all those plans not to get kicked out. That doesn't sound like a very enjoyable, care-free "holiday" in any case.

lcuy Apr 1st, 2007 11:17 AM

Going to a hotel that is flooded out is a whole different thing than going and finding your reservations read didfferently than that of the hotels computer....

The botton line, is that taking a stance at the front desk rarely will cost you more than about 30 minutes of your time, and from my experience will always get you a better arrangement that just fading into the night.

My best friend is a manager of a big resort, and was the one who taught me this. They don't want to deal with it, they can see what your paperwork says, and they will do their best to get you settled and onto your vacation.

BTW Expedia is a travel agency, not a discounter, so there is no reason that the hotel should treat you any different than if you reserved from any other agency. The hotel knows how many rooms Expedia sells for them, and has an interest in working with expedia to right things.

MaureenB Apr 1st, 2007 11:29 AM

I really think Expedia owes you exactly what your confirmation said. If they sent you an e-mail that you've paid 7 nights at the Princess, I don't see how they can switch hotels on you. They made a mistake. You shouldn't get less than you bargained for. You paid $6000, you gave Expedia a big chunk of cash, and they should fix it without demoting you. I've always had good luck with Expedia. I'd call back for another supervisor, if I were you. What a mess. Thanks for posting it. Let us know the fiinal deal, ok? I hope you can enjoy your vacation after all.
:)>

TahitiTams Apr 1st, 2007 11:35 AM

lcuy..
You are missing the point of booking with Expedia..you don't make a stance witht the Front Desk, you make a stance with Expedia!
The Hotel/Front Desk is only going by what Expedia has booked for you..
If the hotel wasn't sold-out, I am sure that they would love to work out the details but you really are barking up the wrong tree!
If the hotel was booked direct, then of course you take it up with the hotel.

lcuy Apr 1st, 2007 12:01 PM

Yes, the mistake may be Expedias, but if you take your stance at the front desk of the hotel, it's much more likely that they will work together with Expedia.

Hotels, airlines, travel agencies do this all the time- ask each other to help correct an error because of their long time business relationship.

After all, the poster had a reservation for two nights,so they were already paid guests. Since the pools were important to Courtney, at least her family could have enjoyed the pools for two days while alternate arrangements were worked out.

TahitiTams Apr 1st, 2007 12:10 PM

With 2 kids in tow taking a stance at the Front Desk when the hotel is sold-out to demand that they give you the 7 nights vs only the 2 that Expedia screwed up on, is not the way to get things resolved..IF, the hotel was not sold-out, I agree that taking a stance would probably work but not guaranteed..
I use Expedia all the time and they have always owned up to problems and either they have called the hotel direct and upgraded us on their dime and reimbursed me handsomely for the inconvience of it all!
courtneycwo needs to demand a supervisor that will step in and either get her the 7 nights at the Fairmont Princess and also take off a good chunk of her bill!

NeoPatrick Apr 1st, 2007 01:04 PM

Well, it's really not worth talking about now -- courtneycwo is probably at Royal Palms with her family. We'll have to wait to see how this turned out.