Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   expedia .com (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/expedia-com-203938/)

lucille Jan 25th, 2003 05:07 PM

expedia .com

can i trust them to book trip

Mary Jan 25th, 2003 05:14 PM

Yes, you should be fine. They are a reputable company and stand behind their travel products. Make sure you confirm all flights, hotels, etc. just like you normally would. I have booked flights with them before - no problem.

Cin Jan 26th, 2003 03:28 AM

I agree with Mary. I took a two week trip to Florida, in November of 2002, and had booked the hotels through Expedia. As things turned out, Expedia saved me a good bit of money, and the bookings were perfect. I will definitely use the company again in future.

Susan Jan 26th, 2003 08:40 AM

I have used Expedia many times w/o major problems. Just remember to check your email frequently b/c if there is a flight cancellation that necessitates re-scheduling Expedia will be notified by the airline & then Expedia will send you an email advising you of your new flight times. Over the past holiday season they re-booked us when flights were cancelled. The re-booked flight times were substantially different from the original ones we had booked: 7:30 AM departure instead of 1:00PM for outbound. Returning had us arriving @ midnight instead of 5:00PM. We called the airline directly & they re-booked us.

John Jan 26th, 2003 09:24 AM

I'm also a frequent user of Expedia but wanted to mention that recently they've started adding a $5 commission to some airlines' cheapest fares (as found on the airline websites). It's still a convenient service for comparing fares, and in many cases you can find fares and hotel room rates on Expedia that you can't match by going to the airline or hotel websites themselves, but it's definitely worth checking. <BR><BR>One irritating thing to me (overly sensitive I suppose) is that your Expedia booking number isn't often recognized by the e-ticket machines at check-in (which want the airline &quot;locator&quot; number, not included in the Expedia confirmation). It's delayed us a couple of times. No biggie, but a nuisance.

Barbara Jan 26th, 2003 12:04 PM

Not a fan of Expedia. Booked hotel &amp; car thru them. The car rental had to be cancelled because our flight was going into an airport that Expedia did not use. The hotel was cancelled because Expedia's rate was $20/night higher than the hotel's website and the hotel was not a 3 star hotel as advertised by Expedia. The cancellation cost $125 and I got no sympathy from Expedia C/S. They made no effort to make changes or corrections to satisfy me.

xxx Jan 26th, 2003 08:01 PM

I never book a hotel with Expedia after a bad experience. The hotel was three star and looked very nice on Expedia. When I actually got there, the room was so tiny that I kept bumping my elbows into the wall. It didn't feel clean either. Never again I book a hotel with Expedia.