excursions from a cruise ship

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to get a head's up on planning excursions. Can anyone tell me what I should look at for Ketchikan,Juneau and Skagway. We cannot take any tours that are physically difficult.

Is a cruise through Misty Fjord worth while? Going in Aug. on the Island Princess..
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 12:51 PM

Hi - you need to go over to the CRUISES forum. There is a ton of information on this topic.
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 01:45 PM

The forum on Cruise Critic is my go-to site for cruise-related questions.

Here's a link to the forum for the Alaska Ports of Call:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 01:55 PM

We took this cruise last month.

In Ketchikan we just walked around town. The major attraction was Creek Street--a colorful place. Warning: The drivers on the free Ketchikan sponsored shuttle bus are rude and unhelpful. Others told us they enjoyed the bear viewing tour immensely.

In Juneau we signed up for a tour on the dock that took us all around town and to the Mendenhall Glacier (which is the main attraction out of Juneau). Our tour guide was young, articulate, and informative.

The highlight of our cruise was sailing through Tracy Arm Fjord, and through the thrilling scenery the ship passed sailing into and out of Skagway. We spent hours on the deck as we departed Skagway. In Skaway we took a tour around town and up to White Pass. The scenery was glorious, and we had an excellent tour guide.

We did not take the Misty Fjord tour, and the only people we spoke to who took that tour were so annoyed by some unruly children on the tour that they couldn't remember what they saw.

Our weather was mostly overcast the third week of August, but crew members told us they had nothing but sun the week before. Enjoy.

HTtY
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We took the pontoon boat out in Misty Fjord and the sea plane back. It was a great tour.
Old Sep 26th, 2015, 05:37 AM

Ketchikan-We did the Misty Fjords float plane tour with Island Wings. We landed on a beach/shore area and had around 30 minutes to explore. The scenery was awesome. Then we walked around town and over to Creek Street historic district. Didn't have enough time to get to one of the totem parks but with a do over I would have done that instead of Creek St./town.

Juneau-In the morning we did a whale watching trip. Try to do one that also gives you time at Mendenhall Glacier. Ours only gave us 15 minutes which wasn't enough time. You really need at least an hr. there. Or you could opt to not return to town with your whale watching van and remain at Mendenhall and catch a shuttle back. Think the shuttle is $10 one way pp?? Wish I had done that. Then we had time to do the Mount Roberts Tram and have a drink at the Red Dog Saloon.

Skagway-We did the train up to Fraser, Canada (need your passport) and took a coach back which made several photo op stops. That was with Chilkoot Tours. That was fun and I'd do it again. We had time to explore the town before getting back to our ship which had docked in Haines.

We were on a HAL cruise. I think the above tours could work as well as so many others. It depends on your interests and your physical limitations. My husband and I are both 70+ but no physical problems other than reduced mobility which comes with aging!! Have a fun time!
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 12:37 PM

Let me start with some general remarks:

First, weather is a factor. Chances are great that you encounter really bad weather - rain, fog, clouds, wind - that may ruin your plans. Do not overplan, always have a plan B for bad weather. Do not book your excursion in advance. Wait until you know how the weather will be.

Second, most of the ship excursions are grossly overpriced in Alaska. And many of them are crap. So select carefully how you spend your many.

Third, there are pricey but outstanding experiences. A heli flight onto a glacier with dogsledding on top of the glacier was one of the best travel experiences we ever had, although it was $$$$ - but it was worth every penny, and we were lucky that we have saved our money for this experience.

Let's go into detail. Ketchikan is a charming little town and you can explore most of it - Creek Street and the native art galleries - on foot. Make sure to see one of the totem pole museums.

Juneau: Juneau's main attraction is Mendenhall Glacier. Don't do it with an excursion. Either take the public bus or rent a car, so you can do it on your own pace. Chances are high that you see a black bear right from the parking lot if you can take your time and are not with a bus party. We rented a car and enjoyed very much driving to Eagle Beach which was in fact full of eagles (with a porcupine as an addition). In Juneau, a whale watching trip might be rewarding. Although you will see enough whales just from the ship, a close-up-view of bubble-feeding whales might be an extra value. After sightseeing, walk a bit through town. In any case, have a bucket of king crab legs at Tracy's. They are the best in the world and the place is very atmospheric.

Skagway: For Skagway, I have a clear recommendation. Rent a car and drive to Carcross, Carcross Desert and Emerald Lake. It is most rewarding. And weather is not a big factor, since it will become clear and nice behind the mountain pass. On the way back, you will have enough time to see Dyea (the ghost town), the cemetary and stroll through the village after returning the rental car. Never ever book the train ride. It is the greatest rip-off in the cruise business - grossly overpriced and extremely slow.

For more details you may read my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-land-tour.cfm
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 02:42 PM

Don't do it with an excursion. Either take the public bus or rent a car.

We booked a tour at a kiosk when we got off the ship in Juneau and it was very satisfactory. We had an excellent guide who took us around town and gave us just the right amount of time at the glacier.

The public bus wasn't an option because it lets passengers off over a mile from the glacier, and that walk wouldn't work for us.

We didn't book any excursions from the cruise line.

In Skagway we would have liked to rent a car and drive to Carcross and Emerald Lake, but we weren't in port long enough.

HTtY