Excitement in Fort Collins?

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excitement in Fort Collins?

I will be in Fort Collins for 2 days of work in mid-February. Any ideas for things to do and where to eat in the evenings is greatly appreciated. After reading a post on this site I am staying at the Marriott on Horsetooth Rd.
Thank you.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Where is my friend Ani to reply to this...we grew up together in Fort Collins and she still lives there. When I go home we always hit the Rio in Old Town for the best margs in the world. Old Town really has tons of places to eat drink and be merry.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 04:23 PM

Rio Grande, and take a drive into the mountains. The college area is always hopping.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Ani

Here I am-and thanks for the intro Steph
RIO RIO RIO. Thats where you start. Its in Old Town which in itself is our small but lovely historic downtown area...aq little boutique-style shopping, several wonderful restaurants and a few fun places to go dancing aftewards. That said, know that the Rio (Rio Grande) is famous...Nationally Famous actually...for their margs-not their food (although we do like some of it).
Will you have a car?
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 09:07 PM

I haven't been to Fort Collins for quite awhile and I agree the Old Town area is charming, but come on, there has to be better dining options than the Rio. To put it bluntly the food stinks and the margaritas are average. If they are nationally famous it is because of a good marketing machine, not quality. I consider the $50 I spent there a huge waste of money.

I hope you receive a few better dining suggestions and enjoy good weather on your trip.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Ani

Ooooookay. Here are some great dining options (and BTW, The Rio doesnt have any marketing whatsoever other than word of mouth. The margs were voted best in the nation by Citysearch.com):

Coopersmiths
Austins
Jays Bistro

All located in Old Town.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM

DoctorT, I meant to suggest you stay at The Armstrong Hotel. It is located in Old Town with access to many great restaurants (some of which Ani just mentioned). It is really nice and quaint, and has upscale ammenities like down comforters. You could walk to just about anything you need. There are literally dozens of great restaurants and a fabulous nightlife in this area.

http://www.thearmstronghotel.com/
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 07:41 PM

I'm not a fan of the Rio either, but I highly recommend Coopersmith's. They brew some mighy tasty beer, especially their cask-conditioned Punjabi Pale Ale. Their food isn't too bad either.