Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Excited to come to Alaska! Need itinerary help and have questions.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a forty-something couple with two children ages 15 and 11. We are traveling to Alaska 6/8 through 6/18. We are moderately adventuresome. We like being in the middle of beautiful spots, wildlife, and being out in nature. Here is our itinerary. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Much of what I have put together already was from reading this site. It has been helpful!
6/8 Fly into Anchorage, rent car, overnight at Hotel Captain Cook. (Wanted a comfy bed with no surprises after long flight).
6/9 On the road by 7am to Denali. Arrive in time to catch Denali Backcountry Lodge bus for wilderness ride to lodge. Overnight at the lodge.
6/10 Enjoy Backcountry Lodge.
6/11 Bus from lodge arrives at our car by 11:30am. Drive to Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge. Flightseeing? Jet boat or float trip?
Overnight at Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge.
6/12 On our way to Seward today. Need Catholic Church for mass. Thought could do in Anchorage. Want to take this ride slow and enjoy. Possible activities - Exit Glacier, Sealife Center. Overnight at Seward Windsong Lodge.
6/13 Kenai Fjords tour. Afraid of seasickness for husband. Is it really rocky? How long in open water on NW tour? Really want to see orcas. Other activities later in day could be Ididride and enjoy Seward. Overnight at Windsong again.
6/14 Drive to Princess Kenai Wilderness Lodge. Husband liked for peacefulness and fishing or float trip. Overnight at Princess.
6/15 Possible fishing in am. Heading to Homer today. Enjoy drive. Activities in Homer could include Pratt Museum, Center for Alaska Coastal Studies outdoor adventure, Wynne Nature Center. Overnight at the Land's End Resort.
6/16 Need activities. Possibilites - Emerald Air Bear watch. How close are the bears? Sea Kayaking if brave enough. Also heard the Danny J was good. What is it?
6/17 Back to Anchorage today. Could take a side trip on the way back to Whittier for Prince William Sound glacier tour. No seasickness. Problems - no orcas and takes time from our Anchorage touring. In Anchorage could do zoo or Native Heritage Center. Overnight at Hotel Captain Cook. Does anyone know if Aspen is a nice hotel?
6/18 Tour Anchorage until 4pm. Any ideas?
Return car to airport and take 7:30pm flight home.

Questions - What is the difference between
Kantishna Roadhouse and Denali Backcountry Lodge? Kantishna website is beautiful and gives much better idea of accomodations. Is one nicer? Also, afraid Denali trip will be ruined by mosquitos. What is the truth about that?

Has anyone done Fox Island overnight or dinner trip? It looks absolutely beautiful.

We are paying $771 for rental car from Alamo with U/L miles. Priceline is cheaper but is it U/L miles? Doesn't seem to say on the site.

We are excited to come to Alaska, but you may be able to tell from our questions we are trying to go outside our comfort zone in some cases in order to have a great experience. I guess we just need a little reassurance.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 08:13 PM

A few suggestions:

On 6/11 -- Defintely flightseeing. River day trips from Talkeetna aren't much.

On 6/12 -- Probably at least three morning masses at St. Andrew's in Eagle River. Nice church.

6/13 -- Play it safe and prepare for bumpy seas. It might end up flat. A crapshoot. There's a lot of open water on the NW tour -- don't know exactly how long.

6/14 -- An upper Kenai Canyon float or drift boat trip is great, but I'm not sure what if anything will be open for angling. I think the 15th is a traditional opening date. (Sorry, not sure.) You might need to slide this further back in your itinerary.

6/16 -- Haven't done Emerald Air bear watch. The bears are probably along coastal areas and not yet on the rivers -- I'd check with Emerald Air. The flight over Cook Inlet on a nice day can be stunning with the volcanoes and other peaks. I believe they land and hike, which could provide some close up views. Perhaps BudgetQueen or someone else can help.

A family halibut fishing trip might be fun, too.

6/17 -- Don't push it too hard. Stop at Alyeska for the tram and grab a dinner at the Double Musky or Seven Glaciers. Stay at Alyeska Resort, very nice.

6/18 -- Skip the Zoo. Visit the Heritage Center or Anchorage Museum of History and Art. Check out the Saturday market.

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:43 AM

detailtravelgirl,it is so refreshing to see post like yours. You id an extensive research before posting your detailed questions.

If you can afford you won't be dissapointed with a day trip to see bears. You will never forget this experience. Your children will thank you too. You are very close to bears you could hear them eating salmon. Emerald Air Service is absolutely the best. BudgetQueen never went bear watching so don't count on her to give you any input although she has a strong opinion about it. Read some reports of those who actually went bear watching with Emerald Air.

Re.: 6/9 I think you have to leave Anchorage much earlier than 7 am ( I wouldn't leave later than 6 am). You need to be there at noon? After all you need to make at least a short stop on the way. Sometime due to raod construction it may take much longer than you think. Be safe not sorry. 6 am won't be dark, as you know

6/12 I think you will be forgiven if you skip going to church on this trip

6/15 You won't be able to do all activities in one afternoon. I would start with Pratt Museum, then Center for Alaska Coastal Studies

6/16 Do search under Halibut Cove to learn about Danny J

6/17 What do you mean no orcas?
In Anchorage visit to Native Heritage Center

6/18 I agree, skip Zoo and visit Museum of History and Art. There are so many choices in Anchorage. WE always enjoy visit to the Botanical Garden. It is so different than what you expect from this type of place.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 02:56 AM

Catholic churches on the way from Talkeetna

1. Sacred Heart Catholic Church - 1.4 miles NE - 1201 Bogard Rd, Wasilla, 99654 - (907) 376-5087

2. St Michaels Catholic Church - 11 miles E - 432 E Fireweed Ave, Palmer, 99645 - (907) 745-3229

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 02:59 AM

One more place to worship
St Christopher Catholic Church
(907) 733-2442
Mile 67 Parks Highway
Talkeetna, AK 99676
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 03:23 AM

Talkeetna to Seward is a lot of miles esp if you take time out for church which I think you should do. The Sea Life Center is open until 8pm, I think. It's small and won't take long unless you want to take the behind the scenes tour. (We didn't.) The scenery is spectacular on your trip down so you might spend more time stopping than you thought. Unless you've skipped the Kenai Fjords trip I would choose to visit the Portage Glacier visitors center instead of Whittier. The tunnel is fascinating but Whittier is a former military base and one huge building has been abandoned. There's a great video of a calving glacier at the visitors center and you can learn more about what happened to Portage during the earthquake. I loved the Pratt Museum in Homer. You will also want to drive up the mountain for the tremendous views.
You might consider visiting Independence Mine in Hatchers Pass on your way back from Talkeetna. Check to see if there's a Catholic Church in Palmer. You will have to go to the mine from the Palmer side because the Pass won't be open until July 4 or later. You will also want to take the tram ride up Alyeska either on your way to Seward or on the way back to Anchorage.
Our Kenai Fjords longest trip picked up passengers at Fox Island. Sounded like they enjoyed it. Check the details to see if the pick-up includes a long trip to the glacier. The orcas were wonderful. We lucked out with very calm seas. If you skipped the Seward cruise you could take the nature cruise out of Homer but we didn't see any orcas. Lots of sea otters though. We chose to overnight in Seldovia but a few hours might be plenty.
It looks like a great itinerary but maybe you need to look at the driving times. You probably won't be making many photo stops on the way to and from Homer. At that time of year you might want to detour to watch the net fisherman in Kenai.
The Anchorage Daily News just reported film reels from 1930s Anchorage have been discovered. I would watch to see if they will be shown to the public. Sorry, I forgot which museum has the films that were discovered at a California yard sale. That was the time period when farmers were settling the Matanuska Valley as part of the New Deal. Could be a good history lesson for your children.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 03:51 AM

There is no nature cruise from Homer that could be compared to Kenai Fjords tour from Seward. These are completely different tours covering very different geographical areas.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who responded! A few comments - What I meant by no orcas was I read orcas are not part of the wildlife sited on Prince William Sound glacier tours. Since this is a priority for our family, this tour may not satisfy as well but my intention in putting it in the itinerary was as a backup if we didn't do Kenai Fjords tour. Otherwise we would skip.
Fox Island overnight we were considering goes on NW tour the next morning. Fox Island looked like neat experience, but we were concerned about having no choice at that point on NW tour, i.e. seasickness. Do the remedies really work? If so, maybe I shouldn't worry.
Originally had a night at the Aleyeska near end of trip. Revised and picked up one night at Princess Kenai due to bad reviews on trip advisor. It looks beautiful, we were disappointed. We will stop for tram if possible.
Quick story about why orcas are priority. Went to Pacific NW last summer and took boat trip out of Port Townsend to see orcas. Day before orcas were sited everywhere. Of course on our trip - none. Where were they? They had moved on to Alaska for salmon!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:54 AM

Sounds like a nice itinerary. You probably won't have time to do all the things you have listed for Seward as your schedule is currently laid out. As someone else said, the drive from Talkeetna to Seward will take most if not all of the day given stops for mass and to take pictures along the way. You may have time to visit the Sealife Center in the evening, but not much else. If you do the full day Kenai Fjords tour, I don't see how you'll have time to visit Exit Glacier or do the Ididaride tour on that same day. You might save these for the following morning and wait till later to leave for the Kenai Princess Lodge.

By the way, I am very prone to seasickness and--with Bonine--I did OK on the Kenai Fjords tour to Aialick Glacier (a bit shorter than the longest tour). We did see one or two other passengers get sick. The water wasn't perfectly calm that day, but it probably wasn't its roughest either. I also brought along my sea bands and some ginger capsules just to be on the safe side. Unless the weather looks particularly nasty on the day of your trip, I'd give it a try.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:27 AM

Too bad about Alyeska. That place certainly started out better. The mix of good and bad reviews is perplexing. Just inconsistent, I guess.

But the post about no AC? Please ... in Fairbanks, maybe it's an issue.

The tram and Double Musky make Girdwood a nice stop. If the Musky wasn't there, I'd recommend Seven Glaciers for its views.

If you really want to see orcas, the best bet is clearly Kenai Fjords AND meds for the queasy ones. While ginger and/or wristbands might work for many, I'd consult your GP before leaving. Bonine has worked for those in our family with problems. Avoid a fried breakfast (so popular in AK) on the morning of the trip.

6/12 will be a long day, especially if you get a long-winded priest, but since it's summer and fishing season they might keep the sermon short. Blow through Anchorage, unless you want to stop for a meal. Poke your way down Turnagain Arm. The Turnagain House, right on the arm, used to do a nice Sunday brunch.

Also, on your last day in Anchorage, stop at Oomingmak, the shop run by the musk ox coop. The craftwork is pricey but unique -- a level above some of the tacky souvenirs. The Alaska Native Medical Center Gift Shop is a great place for (walrus) ivory carving. Cooks appreciate a quality ulu (knife).
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:25 AM

My opinion only, I would NOT consider the drive to Denali Park THEN going to the Backcountry Lodge the same day. Your schedule is too tight and you probably won't have the interest you should have on the bus ride in due to the marathon drive to Denali park, consider pushing this back a day. AND yes you can run into significant bug problems, anytime after June 1- mid August.
I have been on the Kenai Fjords boat trips many times, and always see sick passengers on anything over 6 hours, which is all I would consider. If prone TAKE PRECAUTIONS. My clear preference is the Northwestern Fjords trip and my priority now. BE ADVISED- don't count on orca sightings- my whale sightings have run only about 50% of the trips I have been on and mostly they were humpbacks. This is NOT a whale watch, it's a route trip. If you truely have to have orcas then go out of Victoria, BC or Friday Harbor Wa. I have been to Fox Island- the problem is the boats have to make that stop and it can take away from some other routings that may be possible. One on the boat from the Fox Island area- you can see Seward in the distance. Very nice salmon bake, I haven't stayed there. If your priority are glaciers, the the Prince William Sound boat trips are spectactular. I often go on my trips. But with 10 days and your wide range of routing, I too would perhaps skip this too, with a stop at the Portage Vistor Center worthwhile. YES Priceline comes with unlimited miles, but I wouldn't lock into them yet, did you look at the secondary rentals, Payless, Thrifty, Dollar, also Alamo, your rates seems very high for less than 2 weeks??? Is this for an SUV? Not needed if you want to cut costs?
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:06 AM
jq

sounds like great trip with lots of research. With precautions, medication, Kenai Fjords tour should be great. Only 50% or less chance of orcas, although we saw several on our May trip. Also check Halo Bay Bear Viewing trip from Homer. They are only ones with camp on Homer side of Katmai, have guides that live there all season. Had great trip there in late August. How is 10-15 FEET away sitting on river bed next to them? Close enough, much different from Brooks Falls type platforms looking down on bears. See photos at
http://community.webshots.com/user/jq4653
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to most recent replies. To respond to a few comments - Yes you are right, our schedule is tight, especially on the 9th, but unfortunately hotel openings fell out this way. Would rather have a night in Talkeetna before and after Denali but doesn't seem like it will work. Fortunately, kids are hearty and are used to long car rides from past summer road trips.
Ironically we were in Friday Harbor last summer on vacation, while the orcas were in Alaska! I guess we will just have to take the kids to Sea World!!
Thank you for info. on Priceline. I will keep looking for a better rate. F.Y.I. The current car we are holding is a mini-van because my husband is 6'7" tall and can't fit in a regular car or even Explorer sized SUV!
We found a church in Talkeetna through the St. Christopher's number, but it was actually for a St. Bernard's Catholic Church - go figure. 9am mass.
Thank you again to everyone.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Little error- my husband is 6'7" not 67"!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Oh my goodness-sorry to waste everyone's time - six foot, seven inches.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:38 PM

in Homer---go bear watching with emerald air services to katmai nat'l park. it will be an experience you'll never forget. ken and chris are the most incredible guides and their love and knowledge of the bears and the environment is inspiring.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:41 PM

i was so excited i forgot to tell you i went with emerald air to katmai last august. we hiked all over and saw salmon by the hundreds and of course bears. the photos i have are a reminder that i will be planning to return soon.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:46 PM
jq

Freespirit,
Do you have any Katmai photos posted anywhere? So the pilot lands on beach or water and then becomes your guide while you walk around or do you stay near plane? We didn't see any other planes land while we were there with Halo Bay, and I thought they were only ones with a camp on Homer side of Katmai? Sounds like you had good trip.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 03:48 AM

One more vote for bear watching with Emerald Air. I agree with Freespirit, it will be an experience you will never forget. Chris and Ken are incredible guides with an extraordinary passion for understanding, protecting and appreciating brown/grizzly bears and environment that supports them.

Detailtravelgirl, I don't know where you got this information there are no Orcas in the Prince Williams Sound. A few years ago we took a cruise to Columbia Glacier and on the way back we had a whole group of them going along our boat for about 40 minutes. It was incredible to see so many of them of so different ages. I remember one of them had a bullet in his fin. As with any wild animals you never know where and when to see them but someone made a huge mistake saying you cannot see them at the Prince Williams Sound.

Freespirit, this is what happend to us, we went one time a few years ago and before we left Katmai National Park and Preserve we knew we havd to return very soon. We go back every year and one summer we spent three days among bears. Since our first time we went I think seven or eitgh times. Alawyas with Emerald Air because we know each time is going to be another unforgettable and unique experience

Jq
Ken, the pilot always lands his floatplane on the lake. Each time we land on a different lake but near the shore. It all depends where bear are at that time. Once everyone is on the ground he becomes your guide along with his wife, Chris. So there are nine visitors and two guides. You never stay near the plane, you need to take a walk to where bears are. This are short walks and slow as there is so much to see. It is a surprising to many visitors to learn about richness of a tundra. Because there are two guides often a group decides to split, one group continue walking somewhere farther and hope to see more bears, the other group stays on the bank of the river and hope to see more bears than those who take a longer hike. We did both ways and every time each group has long stories to tell about bears they encountered. Whether you decide to stay or walk you will see bears in action and there are endless opportunities for taking photos.

I posted my bear watching trip reports here a few times so if you click on my name they should come up.

I have hundreds and hundreds photos of bears.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:03 AM

I appologize to some of you reading my post above and who concluded I should proofread before posting. I guess I should

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -