Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   excellent QUIET hotel in La Jolla? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/excellent-quiet-hotel-in-la-jolla-827964/)

poss Feb 23rd, 2010 01:59 PM

excellent QUIET hotel in La Jolla?

I'm hoping to spend not more than $300-350 (end of July).

Looked at Lodge at Torrey Pines, but the furnishings were a turn-off (not fond of that style). Would love a handsome view, but good and quiet is an even higher priority. Estancia recommended against their place-- because of wedding noise, groups, etc. May have to put ourselves somewhere like Residence Inn-- away from the bustle-- but that would be too bad. Would enjoy being somewhere more "upscale." Nice linens, good bathrooms, etc.

Thanks for suggestions.

clarkgriswold Feb 23rd, 2010 03:47 PM

Looks like the Grande Colonial has a bed with breakfast rate of $289.

Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines has some very good rates and gets very good reviews, an average of four out of five stars with 580 reviews.

Near the beach at the end of July is bound to be full of hustle and bustle no matter where you stay, I would think.

ksucat Feb 23rd, 2010 03:55 PM

Clarkgriswold came up with my fave..
Grande Colonial Inn and for $289 in July with breakfast is a smoking deal!
I've stayed here several times even though I live in the area and its a great hotel and the restaurant, nine-ten is outstanding.
You are a half block from the ocean, great restaurants and shopping.
La Valencia is another fave but if you can get a rate at $350 in July, take that as well.
Estancia is a really nice solid 4* resort and spa and you can ask for a room off where there are no weddings.
Hilton LJ is on Torrey Pines golf course but on a very busy street.
Decent hotel.
The Lodge at Torrey is a newer 5* resort but its a craftsmen style.
Maybe the Grande Del Mar or L'Auberge Del Mar might work for you.
Rancho Valencia in Rancho Santa Fe or the Inn at Rancho Santa Fe are lovely, quiet, stately resorts.
Do not stay at the Residence Inn..its very noisy and busy with UCSD.
La Jolla Beach and Tennis is oceanfront but lots of families.
Expedia has some great deals.

nanabee Feb 23rd, 2010 04:03 PM

I would second ksucat's suggestion of Estancia. It is not in the downtown La Jolla area and you won't have the traffic to deal with.

nanabee Feb 23rd, 2010 04:09 PM

http://www.innlajolla.com/

You might check out this bed & breakfast in the heart of La Jolla.

poss Feb 24th, 2010 05:52 AM

Thanks for the replies. I had looked at most of the suggestions already and nixed for one reason or another. I.e. I've read the reports on TA (I always read from "average" ratings on down-- find them more useful and telling) and I've spoken directly with a few of the hotels.
E.g., as I said, Estancia themselves thinks they're not a good bet for someone looking for restful atmosphere. (There's a wedding that weekend.) Other La Jolla in-town hotels seem to have plenty of traffic noise and some reported to have thin walls.
Hilton at Torrey Pines doesn't look as if it's on a street, but it is? Looks as if rooms aren't near street, more looking over greens, no?
Would Residence Inn be busy/noisy with UCSD action in mid-summer?
What's the Hyatt like?
Will look at other suggestions-- with thanks.
Btw, I'm an old fogey (near 80): could never get comfortable with Expedia, etc. Book the old-fashioned way-- directly with hotel.

ksucat Feb 24th, 2010 05:58 AM

maybe you should look at renting a cottage since you are coming into a very popular beach town and noise will be around everywhere.
Residence Inn is on a corner of a 100k traffic each way min. that clogs up to LJ Village drive/Torrey and its a nightmare.
Hyatt is nice but they are all on very busy roads.
Have you thought of noise cancelling earphones by Bose?

ksucat Feb 24th, 2010 05:59 AM

expedia is good to look at photos, pricing but anymore, direct isn't always cheaper and they usually won't match expedia prices.
best of luck to you!

poss Feb 25th, 2010 05:47 AM

Would Marriott Courtyard Sorrento Mesa be more quiet than Residence Inn?
Earphones would be too bothersome. Even earplugs bug me. But good suggestion for someone.

mclaurie Feb 25th, 2010 06:27 AM

What are you going to do in La Jolla? The Hyatt is a nice modern hotel but it feels like you're staying in anywhere USA. It's not at the beach, not in downtown La Jolla. What about the spa centered Hotel Parisi? http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...alifornia.html

ksucat Feb 25th, 2010 07:58 AM

it's off the freeway but in more of an office area at night.
you can not guarantee who is going to be placed next to you when you rent a room.
Hotel Parisi is nice but its rooms are right on Prospect which will have lots of foot and car traffic till 2am.
I'd roll the dice at Estancia and let the front desk manager know of your highly sensitive ears.
I would take an Ambian and call it a night!

Ronda Feb 25th, 2010 08:03 AM

I second Estancia. We had a lovely room on the courtyard. Wedding was during the day so we hardly noticed it. Fun to peek out the window and see the wedding and hear the music. There are plenty of rooms off the courtyard. It is a very lovely hotel, beautiful pool, but downside is valet parking only.

poss Feb 25th, 2010 09:04 AM

Thanks for continued kind and patient input. In my next life, I'm not going to be an insomniac (take Ambien every night, btw-- doesn't help much) and I'm not going to be noise-sensitive (also very wealthy and beautiful).
We have a wedding to attend-- will be near that Residence Inn (and the couple's house is, I think, not far from that Courtyard). I've been to San Diego/La Jolla several times in the past (tho not recently, stayed a long time ago at the Torrey Pines Hilton), so know how handsome it is. We travel a lot and are fortunate enough to stay at a number of marvelous places through the year. I was thinking of just doing an in-and-out this time, but the wedding happens to fall on my birthday weekend, so we were thinking perhaps to take an extra day and try to stay somewhere a little more special. But all those nicer places seem to have the drawback of noise (Parisi for sure does).
So now I'm just trying to go for quiet-- and hope for a pleasant place, not great, but pleasant. The parking fee really jumps the price at Estancia. I understand that the Hyatt is just a Hyatt, but I'm thinking maybe the rooms will be more spacious and linens, etc better than the Marriott properties. And it looks as if it may not be as noisy/busy as the in-town places. Plus, one can park on the street and avoid those hefty extra fees. I know of course, that one never knows if one's neighbors will be quiet and courteous. Just have to cross fingers and hope.
Thanks again for replies.

nlg Feb 25th, 2010 11:54 AM

We stayed at the Homewood Suites Del Mar and really liked it.
The hotel is in a residential area which made it quiet and it was great if you like to get out and walk and look at the houses in the neighborhood. The Homewood Suites was a short drive to the Torrey Pines Beach.