Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Evening Activities Other Than Theater (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/evening-activities-other-than-theater-143035/)

Grant Jan 17th, 2002 03:51 PM

Evening Activities Other Than Theater

Hello,<BR>There will be four of us traveling to NYC in April - adults, no kids. Of course we will see as many shows as our budget allows, but I know we won't be able to go the theater every night. Does anyone have any suggestions for things for us to do? We love, art, music, theater etc. - not much for the bar scene, and although there are some wonderful dining opportunities, a big, fancy dinner is not really that high on our lists. Any thoughts for other activites? Thanks in advance for your help

hamlet Jan 17th, 2002 04:06 PM

It's wonderful to see New York at night - on a clear evening you may want to check out the views from the Empire State Building, a boat/dinner cruise around Manhattan, or from Brooklyn or New Jersey. There are also tourist attraction that are open late - some museums on certain nights, churches, Grand Central Station, and Greenwich Village is so alive at night and you can walk around, check out the shops and grab a bite. Have fun!

Philip Jan 17th, 2002 07:16 PM

In the early part of the evening, walking in Central Park is absolutely wonderful.<BR><BR>Take a trip on the Staten Island Ferry at dusk (it's free). Also you can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for some wonderful views.<BR><BR>When you get here, grab a copy of Time Out Magazine. They always have some wonderful suggestions.

patty Jan 17th, 2002 09:40 PM

I agree with all the suggestions above, especially getting Time Out Magazine and Central Park. The 92nd Street Y has concerts, lectures or readings nearly every evening. And there are readings at the various Barnes & Nobles around town - just this week Willie Nelson and Calvin Trillin are around (but not together).<BR><BR>You can go on the Roosevelt Island Tram across the East River until 2:30am ($3 and 10 minutes rounddtrip), bowl at Bowlmor in Greenwich Village until late (on Mondays you can bowl in the dark), swim at Asphalt Green, or get a massage at Oasis Day Spa in Union Square until 9pm.<BR><BR>Go see a movie at the Ziegfeld Theater (if the film's any good) or comedy at Caroline's or the Gotham Comedy Club (but that can get expensive). Speaking of expensive, there's cabaret at Feinstein's or the Oak Room (not my personal thing) or jazz at the Village Vanguard, Blue Note or Iridium. <BR><BR>As mentioned above there are our wonderful museums. The Metropolitan's late nights are Fri & Sat (to 9pm) - and a new Surrealism show is there until May. Natural History is open until 8:45pm on Fri & Sat. The Guggenheim is open until 8pm on Fri & Sat and the Whitney is open until 9pm on Fridays. The Cooper Hewitt Design Museum stays open late on Tuesdays, to 9pm. And the International Center of Photography is open to 8pm on Fridays. And there are probably dozens more...<BR><BR>Have fun! I'm still trying to decide what to do tomorrow night.

Elizabeth Jan 18th, 2002 02:12 PM

(I know I answered this once already, and it seems to have disappeared, even though I kept my use of profanity pretty low. Forgive me if it re-appears.)<BR><BR> There are often concerts at the Metropolitan Museum on Friday or Saturday nights. They are free, or you can sit at a lovely cafe table & order something.<BR><BR> The East Village is alive until at least midnight (for food and shopping, later for clubs and bars) on weekends.<BR>You could enjoy an inexpensive Indian dinner on 6th St between 1st & 2nd Avenues, then visit the lovely, neighborhood-y, unique shop Back From Guatemala (things from all over the worls, good prices, lots of sales, warmth) on the same block.<BR><BR> Then have dessert (as many Indian restaurant patrons do) up 1st Ave a few blocks, at about 10th St, at De Roberti's or, across First Avenue, Veniero's. DeR--better atmoosphere, family-run, untouched by time (about 100 years maybe, or 80); Veniero's--probably better pastry.<BR><BR> Wander on St Mark's Place, all the way from Ave A to 3rd Avenue, and 7th and 9th Streets--lots of shops--vintage clothes, collector's records/CDs, and lots of surprises.