Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   European style towns in East USA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/european-style-towns-in-east-usa-89088/)

Steve Radda Oct 6th, 2000 09:53 AM

European style towns in East USA

My family and I will be travelling in the Eastern USA. Does anyone know of towns or villages with 'European' flavor and architectural style? <BR> <BR>I would be very grateful for suggestions. <BR> <BR>Thank You, <BR> <BR>Steve Radda

Daniel Williams Oct 6th, 2000 10:28 AM

Hi Steve, <BR> <BR>Boston is the city that comes first to mind, particularly near Harvard in Cambridge. The narrow, winding streets made me feel like I was back in merry old England. The quality of life too with street musicians in the vibrant Harvard Square definitely made me feel like I'd left the continent. <BR> <BR>Some might say Williamsburg, Virginia, but I lived there and find it honestly very artificial and more of a tourist trap than anything. There is a lot of history there though. Hmmmm...other than Boston...that's a tough question. Montreal and Quebec City in Canada! (Yeah, I know that's not the USA.) Center City Philadelphia does have narrow streets and quaint old rowhouses and New York City has a sizeable European population and buzzes like London does; honestly though these two cities seem far more USA to me. As for small towns...Not from experience but maybe an Amish town in Pennsylvania? Maybe New Castle, Delaware? Somewhere in New England I would say might be your best bet. <BR> <BR>Good luck and have fun! Dan.

lisa Oct 6th, 2000 11:18 AM

The city on the east coast that most reminds me of Europe is Charleston SC.

Linda Oct 6th, 2000 11:28 AM

Quebec City, Canada - no it's not the U.S. but it is probably the most "European City" outside of Europe. <BR> <BR>Depending upon where you live it might be cheaper to simply go to Europe than to look for an European experience in the U.S.

steve Oct 6th, 2000 11:30 AM

Charleston and New Orleans both have a somewhat European feel.

Neal Sanders Oct 6th, 2000 12:26 PM

I second Boston (especially Beacon Hill and Louisburg Square) and Charleston, and would add the Rittenhouse Square area of Philadelphia (which Daniel alluded to). For a small village that seems very European, go to Stonington, Connecticut. <BR> <BR>This is all assuming you're asking about "European flavor" before, say, 1970. If you want modern, "International Style" architecture, that's a different (and much less inspiring) story.

Rachel Oct 8th, 2000 06:33 PM

If you want Europe, I have a simple solution--go to Europe.

charles Oct 8th, 2000 08:27 PM

Boston. And... Quebec city. Montreal is vaguely european, but not in a good way. In the US, nothing else comes to mind. Including Charleston, which is a lovely city, but not the slightest bit european.

Regina Oct 9th, 2000 04:13 AM

I agree with Linda and Charles that Quebec City is the one and I am from Europe. It is just across the border from the US. On the way to Quebec you could visit Vermont or Lake George and Lake Placid in NY state.

DougD Oct 9th, 2000 08:33 AM

Quebec City is by far the most European. Montreal has a European feel, but much of it looks like New York. Boston has a slight European feel, especially the North End and Beacon Hill.For a smaller town, Portsmouth New Hampshire also has a European feel to it.