Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Estes Park from Boulder (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/estes-park-from-boulder-1014438/)

cuteoldgal1 May 16th, 2014 06:43 AM

Estes Park from Boulder

we are a canadian couple flying to boulder for a niece's wedding on May 24' but have fond memories of estes park and would like to day trip there on the Sunday after the wedding. Being probably a late night and a late start in the morning ( 10 or 11) am, would it still be good for a return that night or stay overnight? is it a good driving road or is it windy/curvy....that kind of thing? Thanks for suggestions.

gabriele May 16th, 2014 09:08 AM

Estes Park is a very easy day trip from Boulder, and the road (36) is also very easy, not winding or curvy. Not sure how much of the park is accessible after our recent snow, but it should not require an overnight. Would make for a nice afternoon.

fmpden May 16th, 2014 06:32 PM

Actually I hope you are flying to Denver for the wedding. Estes is a short drive from Boulder. Estes Park and the road in (Hwy 36) was badly damaged via the floods last fall. The road is repair but maybe a little slower and Estes Park has recovered and will be happy to see your money. Business has been way off. That is our Memorial Day weekend so the traffic in and around Estes Park will be heavier. The road is windy since it follows a river but nothing exceptional.

fmpden May 16th, 2014 06:34 PM

were badly damaged (need to proofread better)

cuteoldgal1 May 16th, 2014 07:52 PM

Thanks for your replies. I think we might go for the day, the only thing is -as I seem to remember from our trip there in the 80's, was that there were stores, and stores and stores and my hubby is not a shopper!

sylvia3 May 17th, 2014 05:06 AM

The town of Estes Park certainly has a lot of stores, especially along the main street, but you can avoid town entirely by entering the park by my favorite route: just take 36, go through the stoplight (up toward the Stanley Hotel) and continue 5 miles to the Fall River Entrance station (which has restrooms, rangers, gift shop, and restaurant). Then do the merchants a favor and have a nice meal in town after visiting the park:)

historytraveler May 17th, 2014 09:43 AM

You do not want to take 36 from Lyons. Not even sure if you can as there are signs in Lyons diverting traffic to Estes to Highway 7 which follows the St. Vrain. A bit longer but a much prettier drive anyway. Highway 36 has problems with construction and closures.

sylvia3 May 17th, 2014 12:23 PM

Wow...thanks for correcting me! I drove it a few days after it reopened, and there were no problems at all. (Guess the patches are becoming permanent fixes.)

fmpden May 17th, 2014 02:21 PM

I am not a big fan of Estes Park as I view it as a huge tourist oriented town BUT every time I post that I get jumped on. CDOT is working hard at the moment to get Trail Ridge open for that weekend. A lot of snow to move.

historytraveler May 17th, 2014 03:41 PM

I'm not a fan of Estes Park either but enjoy RMNP. Currently staying at YMCA of the Rockies and like it. Perfect for families.