Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Estes Park compared to Allens Park? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/estes-park-compared-to-allens-park-692785/)

poss Mar 31st, 2007 02:05 PM

Estes Park compared to Allens Park?

Folks we know in Boulder have suggested that we look into Allens Park as an alternative to Estes Park. (We don't want to be farther from Boulder/Denver than that.) But these are friends who, while we love them, never seem to"get" us. When I googled Allens Park it had no appeal to me. Is it somehow better than it seems? As many walking/hiking trails? Scenery as handsome? Accommodations?

Thanks once again.

jwb10 Apr 1st, 2007 03:24 AM

Hello,
Allens Park is a bit further from RMNP than Estes Park. Estes Park is touristy but there is a large variety of accomodations. The scenery in Allens Park will be just as beautiful and there are walking/hiking trails in that area also.

sylvia3 Apr 1st, 2007 08:01 AM

Tiny, tiny, tiny; maybe for a driveby, but there's nothing there. Scenery if you climb a tree to look over (or a peak, of course). REally, it's closed in, the continetnal divide views are obstructed, and there's no where to stay, unless you find a private cabin.

fmpden Apr 1st, 2007 08:32 AM

The above comments are accurate. But need to know what you are trying to accomplish and when !! Not sure what " farther from Boulder/Denver .... " means.

I think most locals, self included, view Estes Park as an outdated, overly touristy place with cheap shops catering to the tourists. It has a pretty mountain setting but overrated. It has been awhile since I was in Allens Park but I did not think it had any public accomendations, But others probably know better.

althom1122 Apr 1st, 2007 08:43 AM

Depends what you want. There's really nothing in Allens Park. It's a cute little collection of cabins but no real town. There's a horse stable there and a couple of restaurants - an upscale one that's supposed to be quite good, although I haven't tried it, and a wonderful little breakfast/lunch place that I love. Great pancakes. A really basic little mountain place. I think the setting at Estes is more beautiful - more wide open views of the mountains. It's true that Estes is very touristy (including some tacky t-shirt shops) - but I enjoy it a lot. It's fun to walk up and down the main drag and check out the shops - a nice change of pace after a long day-hike. And it is much closer to the main entrances to the Park. Estes is a town and a pretty good-sized one. Allens Park is a little settlement - and it's a ways if you want to get into town. I wouldn't stay there over Estes myself - but it depends on what you want.

TheWeasel Apr 1st, 2007 08:58 AM

From OP's other thread: "Most important to us is to have very quiet and peaceful surroundings (not on road, etc). Hoping, also, for wonderful views and spacious, comfortable room, if fireplace and hot tub, so much the better. Doesn't need to be "luxury," but would like "upscale." We love lodges and inns; don't like B&B's (not enough privacy). Hope to be near great walking trails and good restaurants."

Allenspark is very near the Wild Basin area of RMNP, but there aren't any short hikes that will give you views like in the Glacier Gorge or Moraine Park area. It's also reasonably close to some trails in the Indian Peak Wilderness Area, which is not nearly as crowded as RMNP.

poss Apr 1st, 2007 09:39 AM

Thank you all very very much! The responses were terrifically helpful.

sjde53 Apr 6th, 2007 08:06 AM

I too would definitely stay in Estes Park over Allenspark. They are getting some upscale shops and cabin goods shops--it's not all cheap stuff anymore. We use www.vrbo.com to find cabins or the property management places in town like www.estesparkrealestate.com or www.ponderosainc.com. One problem is that from mid-June to mid-August most places have a 3-4 night minimum, maybe even a week minimum.

Sue