Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Estes Park, Colorado- Nice alternative to this B'n'B for romance??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Romantic Riversong is totally booked this month! :-\ We're looking for a few weeks from now.

It was definitely appealing...
any similar spot someone could recommend?

Don't need a B & B per se...some cute/romantic cabins would really appeal, too! Would love a woodburning fireplace, as this will be almost October, so might have use for it.

With cabins it's so hard to know just from outside images...or even w/pics!
Need personal reviews to seriously know of their condition/smell, etc. Reviews on TripAdvisor, overwhelming at times...and underwhelming, too.

Have seen comments here on Boulder Brook & others along that same road. They seem nice but bigger than we need. (just 2 of us)

Also, do they feel or others along that road, more like condo's? Not as 'natural'
or unique? Or, are they the top tier
for the area? That's what you have to go for...?

Any thoughts on the Stanley Hotel or the Crags Lodge or Marys Lake? Lastly, have seen Taharaa mentioned. Really open to *anything*! Don't need glamour...just would like something that feels like 'true' Colorado...
either via its architecture, or itssetting! (or both) Willing to spend a little more than usual, as only have a few nights lodging to do for this trip. Thanks so much!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:34 PM

Although there are plenty of places to recommend, your main problem is going to be availability - this is prime foliage and elk season at the park, so you may not be able to get the prime lodges like Boulder Brook. Hubby and I booked our weekend stay for Oct. 13 next door at Woodlands last February since we got shut out the previous year by waiting until May!

I'd recommend checking out this website first: http://www.estes-park.com/lodging/gotroom.cgi and trying to determine which places are available to narrow down your search, then trying to pick the best of the bunch.

Also, do try to get into Riversong sometime... we were married there and return every Feb. for our anniversary - just top notch!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, tekwriter!
I will try one day...it sure looks
appealing & like our style. (both the setting & some of the rooms)

Wow! I'm floored by how early you were shut out. I agree, thus far, not having much luck at all.
Worked too late tonight to pursue many...will try tomorrow.

Really haven't seen much about the Historic Crags Lodge nor Marys Lake, either. We do like sort of historic places, too. Peeked at Stanley website, but not sure my eyes saw correctly? Prices like in Aspen? $400 plus? Maybe I need to check again.

Riversong mentioned the Anniversary Inn & Boulder Brook. When I said I was a bit less into condos, she mentioned the Anniversary Inn. (when I asked for something sort of quaint)
Would you have seen it, per chance? It's quite close to the Riversong.
Thanks again!!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Hi Daydreamer - I haven't seen Anniversary Inn, but looked up the location - the turnoff for Riversong is right before it, so apparently we've never driven past! But it looks like a good location and the reviews on Trip Advisor are all five out of fives! Worth looking into.

My impression of the Stanley, from seeing the lobby and reading the reviews, is that it is not worth the money. My opinion and experience is that historic hotels are not great places to stay in. Take a tour, but stay there! Good luck with your search.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Hi! - We were there last week and stayed at the Keno's Llama Ranch. Now I know it doesn't sound like a "romantic" place, but I think it was. We were in the Lake View condo (there are 2 condo's) that overlooked Mary's Lake, and it was beautiful. Its a one bedroom, with a fireplace, the jacuzzi and sauna downstairs, and you can feed the pet elk in the morning. It was only $110 a night. It was well worth it.
I found it on VRBO.com - good website to try.
I don't know about the accomodations at Marys Lodge, but we ate at the tavern and weren't impressed. I think I would try somewhere else.
We did visit the Stanley Hotel and it was nice. You can find cheaper rates online at
travel.hotels-and-discounts.com
I think they are around $169 on up.

Have a great time - we did!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Hi Daydreamer. We stayed years ago at http://innofglenhaven.com/ I liked it allot. The restaurant was really good too.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Both places sound neat!
Little concerned about Glenn Haven
being out of town, however.

Guess Keno's is closer to Marys Lake area, Kassanna? Is breakfast on your own? Do you think they do the elk thing every day? Did it take away at all, having 'tame' elk there? (did it seem 'offensive' like the owners
kinda 'controlled' them for 'show'?)

Not saying that's the case...it's just a concern, that would take away from the pleasure, I think. (if so)

Did you actually walk a llama, as I see their website saying you can do?

I LOVE animals, so it intrigues to be sure! Just wondering how overall 'feel' is of the place?

Do you feel like the owners still are energetic for guests...or would rather not have you there? We've encountered that before, too.

Saw someone recommend on another forum the room above La Casa there. Not sure what that means? Mentioned a lakeview. I wonder if there are also lake views from the house itself too, or if they were recommending your Lake view condo? How many nights were you there? Unfortunately, we could only do 1 maybe 2 nights, which might not allow for savoring the place, or getting into its rhythms. Could you hear much from other condo or was it fairly private, in feel?

Definitely intrigued. Guess Marys Lake now is still a contender (looked online) & they DO have space. Will have to call Keno's & them both.

Btw, also considering McGregor Mountain Lodge which I also think could be a neat setting. (closer to park entrance on 34) Thanks again so much!!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Also considering Valhalla if anyone
has ever tried it too. Wish us luck
on finding space/or a non-2 night min.
Thanks!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Reading TripAdvisor reviews....
I DO like the more cabin-like interior on some units at Valhalla over drywall interiors prevalent in condos in the area. BUT...guess the views leave something to be desired in this area.
Some said they'd rather be along one of the rivers in the area. 'Course in early October...wonder if there is much flow to the Fall River or others?
Colors might be nice, however, closer to the river...? Decisions, decisions! :-\
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 04:25 PM

I can report on Valhalla - stayed there a couple of years ago with the kids. It's not that romantic and the views are not scenic whatsoever - you're looking out at the other cabins and the surrounding houses. It's a decent enough interior, clean and well equipped, but it's much better for families than romantics!

Plenty of flow in Fall River, by the way. The aspens are very beautiful by the river.

Just thought of someplace to check out: Glacier Lodge - little cabins on the Big Thompson river off Hwy 66. A little nicer surrounding area. Horseback riding stables on site. I haven't stayed there, but it looked nice and gets good reviews.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again tekwriter!
Yes, Glacier Lodge sounds wonderful but alas, when I called they are all booked.

Not having much luck! Problem was:
I was trying to find only 1, maybe 2 nights. Now I have a big decision to make! Found an opening I *think* at B. Brook but it's a 3-nighter.

It would be tough to reach on the night we fly into Denver, as we fly in
at 10pm . However, am willing to do it, as long as we later figure out the easiest/quickest route, etc.

For the 'gain' of settling in a bit more vs. having a hectic schedule our *entire* trip...I may even consider 3 nights! (meaning something 'else' has to give...perhaps extra time in Apsen)

Not sure it's a wise way to go, but on the other hand, arriving late, and then only having ONE night near the Park...? Feels awfully rushed to me now. May create a longer stay, and then, need to 'speed things up' later.
Will see.

But would Boulder B. be worth re-arranging things for? Hard to know.
Will research a few more places.

Thanks so much, btw, for the candid review of Valhalla & that it might not meet what we're looking for this time around. They did have 2 nights at Taharra...(Sat/Sun). Wonder if it or
Boulder B would be the better bet?

One seems to have faraway/scenic views...the other, not many views but a more 'intimate' setting? I figure the same could probably be said for Marys Lake, Historic Crags & the Stanley? Thanks once again. I need to decide by noon on Friday as Boulder was kind enough to hold that room for me.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:44 AM

Hi Daydreamer,
Keno's is just a couple of miles from the downtown part of Estes, and the entrance to RMNP.
I didn't ask to walk the Llama as I found out that Llama's are like cats. I wouldn't walk my cat either. But I loved the elk. The pet elk seem very happy and well taken care of. I got to see the wild elk, and the tame, and both were great for me.
The owners are very friendly and easy to talk to. They were very nice people.
There is the lake view condo, mountain view condo and the house faces both sides. I didn't go inside the house but walked around its little garden area. It had an outside hot tub, and deck also.
Breakfast is on your own, but they do supply coffee beans, coffee maker etc...and all units (2 condos and a house) have kitchens.
We were there 3 nights, and it was very relaxing, and enjoyable.
Wherever you stay have a great time!
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Ah, the joys of trip planning! Although I liked Boulder Brook very much, I'm not sure rushing to get there late at night over unfamiliar roads would be worth the stress. There is a fairly easy way to get there - I-25 to Loveland, Hwy 34 west, right to Estes. Only 30 minutes on a winding road, through a canyon - dark but not horrible, although it's quite scenic and it would be a shame if you couldn't see it during the day.

The reviews I've seen of Taahara are mixed, mostly complaining about the innkeeper's strict rules and difficult personality, but the views and accommodations are supposed to be very nice. That might be the way to go.

Good luck getting this all planned!