Estes Park & Steamboat in October/November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling for the first time to Colorado this Fall. We will be staying in WorldMark accomodations in Estes Park and Steamboat Springs and can travel in either early October or Mid-November.

First, which of these periods is a better time to visit? We're hoping to spend time in Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park, as well as sightsee other areas. Since we'll be traveling between Estes Park and Steamboat Springs, will the passes be a problem in November and/or October? We would love any suggestions on day trips in addition to Rocky Mtn. Park.

Also, if we're planning on 1 week total, how do you suggest we split our time between these two cities? 3 days in each w/ one day in Denver? Any suggestions would be helpful for newbies like ourselves! Thanks!
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Dear ja,
I would definitely choose early October-the weather normally would be quite a bit nicer and you may get a peep at the changing Aspen.

We really prefer Steamboat Springs. Although it has plenty of services for tourists and its share of touristy places, IMHO it has, by far, a more "towny" feel to it. I find the town of Estes Park to be a jumble of t-shirts, ice cream and fudge shops.

Of course, RMNP is a great place to visit and hike. However, Trail Ridge Road will probably be closed for the season as it is not a year-round road. Depending on the route you take from Estes to Steamboat, you should be fine on the major highways. Snow is possible,especially at higher elevations, but doesn't usually linger on the roads that time of year.

As far as how to split your time, I personally would opt for two nights in downtown Denver with a day trip to RMNP and the rest of my time in Steamboat Springs, but I know everyone thinks differently about things like this.

You will have fun no matter what.

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

What would be the top 1 or 2 things you would want a first-timer to experience in Denver if we only have one day/night there? Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 01:36 PM

I, too, would recommend going in early October. Mid-November will probably be pretty barren as the leaves have fallen and the ski season is yet to open.

I would spend more time in Steamboat. Its just a much prettier town than Estes.

RMNP is great at that time though - the elks are usually rutting and you'll likely see them crossing the roads. I would probably stay in Estes if you're planning on checking out RMNP as its a long roundtrip drive from Denver.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:11 AM

If you want to stay in Denver, I'd stay in Lodo... walk around, antique shops, art galleries, neat restaurants, etc.. There are lots of hotel and restaurant ideas posted in other areas of this forum. The alternative is Boulder - I like both.

I would split the time between Steamboat and RMNP. I agree that Steamboat is nicer than Estes... but the park is one of the most gorgeous parts of the state. And the town won't feel as touristy in October.

You definitely want to go in October. The elk should be buggling (which is fun).. esp. in rocky mountain national park. The leaves will be nicer, the weather nicer, but the crowds very small. October is one of my favorite months.

Someone on this board said they called the park and that trail ridge road is open 50% of the time in Oct. I don't remember it ever being opened in Oct... but I'm obviously wrong.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 08:55 AM

Trail Ridge has a good (50-50)chance of being open in early October, but it could be iffy. Colors might still be around, weather better in October, too. The elk are everywhere in RMNP. Even if you go over I70 instead of Trail Ridge, it's not a terrible drive. Sometimes 14 to the north is still open when Trail Ridge is not (Cameron Pass), and that is a bit shorter.