Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Black Canyon of Gunnison - Should we go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking an extended vacation 3 - 4 weeks in the SW area. There is one day that we are driving from Colorado Springs to Durango. The route we are taking will bring us through Gunnison, Montrose and then south on the million dollar highway. It seems there is much to see along this route. My question is this, should we stop at Black Canyon of Gunnison? We would only have 1 - 2 hours to spend there. Also, is this stop worthwhile if we are also seeing the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, etc. Is Black Canyon just another example of a canyon that we can see at other stops? What makes this stop unique?
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:21 AM

You should take the two hours it will be enough to get a good idea and it's not comparable to the G.Canyon.Paul
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Having seen all the canyons you mention, I'd say that the BCG is unique enough to warrant a "drive-by" visit for a couple of hours. It's certainly not as big as the other major parks, but it does have a great view into the deep canyon from the rim. It is a different color, much darker than the others (hence the "Black Canyon" moniker). It's not a long detour off the highway either. If you're not that pressed for time, then definitely have a look-see!
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:39 AM

I'd also say that an hour or two would be plenty of time for Black Canyon of the Gunnison and it would be worth the stop.

Utahtea
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:08 AM

You're going so close it would be a shame to not stop and see the BCotG.

Two or three hours is plenty of time to stop at several of the overlooks.

My favorite overlook is Painted Wall view where you see the "marbleized" pink streaks of pegmatite in the black schist and gneiss of the 2000 foot almost sheer cliff-wall on the opposite side of the canyon.

Keith
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:02 AM

agree 100%
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:31 AM

We did a one or two hour stop there on our way from Frisco to Ouray. Definitely felt it was well worth the time. And, while you didn't ask (!), I'm just going to throw my two cents in here to say that the Million Dollar Highway is absolutely beautiful. Scary, but beautiful!
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

caph52,

Glad you added your 2 cents. I appreciate everyone's comments. Looks like we will have to stop. So since you brought it up, how about Ouray and Silverton? Worth a stop? How do I prioritize all of the must see's on this beautiful route without making this a 14 hour trek? I would like to arrive in Durango before midnight, LOL. Given all of the pull over and look stops, I might not ever get to Durango. Help me prioritize all the great stops, which ones "must" I see?
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Ouray is definitely worth a stop. Is there any way you can spend the night in Ouray before heading to Durango? That way you will be well rested before hitting the Million Dollar Highway the next morning.
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Both Ouray and Silverton deserve a minimum one-hour stop to walk around the main street and window shop. Ouray has a

You'll also be stopping at pull-overs along US550 to view scenic highlights such as waterfalls, valley views and mountain vistas.

The traffic will probably be fairly heavy and slow as well (it was when I made this drive in the July time frame several years ago).

Enjoy the drive. It is one of the most scenic in the entire USA.

Keith
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:10 AM

oops, I was editing my reply and hit post before I was finished.... I was going to say that Ouray has a Swiss Alpine feel to it and Silverton has a wild west frontier feel to it.

Keith
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:15 AM

I like wtm's suggestion for spending the night in Ouray. As you said, there's so much to see (and much of the drive is slow-going). It would be more enjoyable if you could take a little more time. And, enjoyment aside, it's probably safer to make that drive when you're well-rested!

We'd originally wanted to stay in Telluride. But there was a music festival or something going on and we weren't able to get a room. We never have gotten back there, so I can't compare the two places. (Again, not that you asked that particular question!) But we did find Ouray to be a good one night stopping point. And, as I said, thoroughly enjoyed the drive the next day.
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:24 PM

We drove from Co. Springs to Ouray via Gunnison and Montrose on our fall '05 trip. We spent a few nights in Ouray on our way to Mesa Verde and loved the town. It will be a very long drive doing the Million $ Hwy from Ouray to Durango coming from Co Sprgs. If you can stay in Ouray, do it. You won't be disappointed.
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:33 PM

Forgot to mention that we stopped at BCG (not our first time there) and it is definitely worth a stop. Very different from other canyons you will see.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Stayed in Ouray last September at the Box Canyon Lodge. Worth the stay, even if only for one night, then you can soak in their mineral springs tubs and be soooo relaxed before white knuckling down the spectacular Million $$ Hwy. to Silverton, which is well worth the stop. Get a buffalo burger at Handlebars for me....