Search

Escalante, Grand Canyon, Vegas, Mom and Ashland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 06:58 PM
pdx
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escalante, Grand Canyon, Vegas, Mom and Ashland

My boyfriend and I just got back from a 2 week road trip that had us swooning the whole way. Wow. It was great. It's been so long since I hit the road for such a long trip and it was a joy to be out there again. I took some of the most beautiful pictures ever in spite of my lack of skill with the camera and I hope to post them somewhere where they can be viewed by those who want to.
We had beautiful weather in the Bryce Canyon and Escalante Grand Staircase, just a little chill and lots of sun. We stayed at a working ranch for two nights in a comfortable and fairly rustic cabin in Boulder, Utah where we took a 3 hour horseback trail ride. It was beautiful and the sky was clear and the stars bright at night. Nice little chipotle trout dinner at the Burr Trail restaurant recommended by our hosts.
On to Bryce Canyon, just a drive-by on the loop but beautiful and incredible formations. I love my photos from here. I was a little unnerved at the Ruby's Inn. It had a disney-type western theme, sprawling and somehow offensive with zillions of billboards littering the road. It's such a beautiful place and deserves a more dignified hotel/village.
We drove on to Kanab and spent the night in a little $40 motel that was small but just fine, the Bon-Bon. Nice lady at the desk suggested Houston's Trail's End Restaurant. Oh my god it was awful! Lots of salt and instant mashed potatoes and orange-coated fried shrimp (it said fresh and so we took a chance). I swear, I need therapy to remove that memory from my mind.
On to the Grand Canyon, another beautiful drive. Oh, I forgot to say, this whole trip we've been listening to The Hobbit and then the Fellowship of the Ring books on tape, so we have this mesmerizing scenery backed up with a mesmerizing story. Just dreamy.
At the Canyon we had a one night stay at El Tovar ($175, big bucks in my book). Very nice room but with the swarms of people I don't think I'd recommend it or stay there again. The clerk said that as soon as summer is over and the kids go back to school the tour buses start rolling in with loads of people. I guess I'll never get the Grand Canyon all to myself. Poor me. Dinner at the Arizona Room, so-so, but we had a window side table with a lovely sunset view.
One night in Las Vegas. MGM had a fall special for $90 that had a $30 dining certificate. We ate at the Pearl, chinese food. It was very good. Way more food than I expected and we kind of over-ordered. After dinner went to Avenue Q, the sesame-street spoof at the Wynn. Fun, cute, hmmm...I'd have to think about it before I could say I'd recommend it.

Next, on to my boyfriend's mom's in Bullhead City where we had her fried chicken (absolutely excellent) and a wonderful simple mexican lunch at Oriole's. I visited a girlfriend of mine (Steve stayed w/mom) in Kingman, Az just thirty minutes up the road from Bullhead and we had a girls (45-50 year old girls)night out party in the middle of the desert with a bonfire and lots of wine. What a blast.
On to Monterey, CA for the aquarium, a pilgrimage to Pebble Beach and a nice dinner in Carmel.
Then, for the last hurrah, we stayed in Ashland for two nights at the little Palm Motel which I can wholeheartedly recommend and do. What a little gem. And such lovely food in Ashland, I don't think you could go wrong! We're already planning on making it a yearly trip. It's the end of the Shakespeare Festival season and it wasn't very crowded, though I would buy tickets in advance next time. We weren't able to see one of the plays we'd hoped for because there were only single seats left.
Then home again, jiggety-jig. It's always good to be in my own bed again. And this is the first trip I've come home refreshed! Really refreshed, like I'm cleaning out the cupboards and doing those little things I've been meaning to do for such a long time. I'm always jet-lagged and exhausted when I get back from European vacations so this has been a revelation. I'm so happy.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Great trip report. We went to the Grand Canyon in early October a few years ago and the place seemed empty compared to summer, but then again we were camping and didn't eat out.

Utahtea
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:04 AM
pdx
Original Poster

Tent camping or rv? It was a little too chilly for my bones to be out there at night. Though I would love to be there in an rv at this time of year. The campgrounds were nearly empty and it would be almost like having the place to ourselves. Gorgeous. A cup of coffee and a sunrise, a glass of wine and a sunset. Heavenly.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:39 PM

We have a motorhome. The weather was pretty warm in early October BUT we did get a good down pour of rain one night and I would have hated to have to be in a tent that night!

Utahtea
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:20 PM

Hi pdx, your trip sounds delightful! And it is so nice to come home refreshed and ready to tackle the chores that we never get around to. I have a bunch myself but can't get away right now and the chores aren't getting done either! Thanks for sharing your fun time with us.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 04:58 PM
pdx
Original Poster

Hi to you LoveItaly. I thought of you when I was cleaning out those cupboards. I was in a different mood than you but the same purpose - to get a little control in my life!