Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Epicurian walking tour of the Pearl in Portland

Oct 31st, 2005, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

I couple of weeks ago I was summoned by Homeland Security to come to Portland and renew my alien registration card ( yes I am an alien from Canada)so we decided to make a fun weekend of it.

We started Friday night by having happy hour at the Portland City Grill - the views were spectacular and prices great. We made a meal of several appetizers all of which were very tastey and not expensive.

Sat morning we did a walking tour of the Pearl - met at the visitors center downtown and about 10 of us did the tour. First stop was a deli where we tasted a great tomato orange bisque. We were then led to the trolleys and trollied over to the Pearl - first stop was Bridgeport Brewpub where we sampled several beer and had a little tour of the brewery.That was at 11am and I wasnt quite up for a beer yet but managed to get mine down.
Then on to a bakery ( forgot the name)-the Palace or the Pearl I think_ where we sampled a couple of breads followed by 2 deserts and had a tour of the bakery.
Next was a tea shop where we sampled 3 kinds of tea and some tea cookies, then on to a cooking school where we had a taste of some local jams and jellies and a glass of wine.
Next stop was HotLips Pizza where we had a slice of a great pizza- not your usual pizza- made with potatoes and onions - no tomato sauce but it was very good and following that we went to a place where they make gelato and had tastes of 3 different gelatos followed by a small taste of truffle.
In between the various stops our guide gave us some history of the Pearl and Portland.
She even showed us how to use the SmartPark meters in the city which was a good thing because the night before we had tried to cram money into one of them - finally figured out none was required for that hour of night. The tour took 3 hours- cost $59 and we thought very fun if a little spendy .

During the tour kept wondering which condo was Scarlett's and watching for standard poodles but didnt run across her.

Following our tour we headed for Bridgeport Village for a little shopping before heading home to Eugene.

Thought you might like a little report of the walking tour - great way to learn your way around Portand and try some local foods .
Oct 31st, 2005, 01:48 PM

Hey, what fun! I see those tours around, close to our bldg too.
I think the bakery was the Pearl Bakery, on the corner? That just happens to be on the route of Pups morning walk..almond croissants and coffee!
That might have been Mia Gelato? I love their chocolate menthe..we were there every night around 10 in August
Didn't you love the Streetcars? I just found out that Pup is allowed on them .. good to know if we walk far and get stuck for any reason.
I think the SmarkPark is brilliant! Other cities should really look into this..no more parking meters all over the place , no more change in them..
I am sorry we did not get to see you..there are actually a couple of Standard Poodles in the Pearl, so you will have to start going up to people asking Scarlett, is that you? LOL
Thank you for the report..I love reading about my new home town and how others like it
Oct 31st, 2005, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

we also learned about "flex car" program
Are you familiar with that - sounds like a great idea if you dont want to own a car but need to use one occasionally - our guide is a member of that.

Oct 31st, 2005, 02:07 PM

Yes! Interesting idea..we see one while we wait at the streetcar stop by our house. They seem to be quite popular.
We just wondered if you have to get into a dirty car that someone else used, or if they send people to always check them between rentals..
Our car just sits in the garage, bored to death
Oct 31st, 2005, 02:11 PM
mms

Sounds like a great time!

That bisque sounds really good...especially on a stormy day like today. Beer at 11am...some how I think I could shoke that down, especially with it being followed by gelato, lol!

The meters here really are nice.