Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

entertainment rates on Kauai-info on islander on the beach?

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Tammy

Planning a May trip to Kauai and wonder what hotels would offer entertainment rates-anyone know? Also has anyone stayed at the islander on the Beach? Is it just a basic Budget hotel or is it nicer?

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Margot

Hi Tammy -

Acccording to my Entertainment book, there don't seem to be ant Kauai selections at all - just the Big Island and Oahu. As for Islander on the Beach, I'm looking at The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook and it calls it a value at $105-$135 IF you get the rental car through them, because the car is only another $20 (I presume per day). It says that the Kauai and Ni'ihau buildings are fairly close to the ocean. We travel to Kauai annually (will be leaving again in 3 weeks, can't wait!), and I'm not personally familiar with that particular property. Hoewever, it is centrally located, which is a plus. Good luck!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Margot

Hi Tammy -

Acccording to my Entertainment book, there don't seem to be any Kauai selections at all - just the Big Island and Oahu. As for Islander on the Beach, I'm looking at The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook and it calls it a value at $105-$135 IF you get the rental car through them, because the car is only another $20 (I presume per day). It says that the Kauai and Ni'ihau buildings are fairly close to the ocean. We travel to Kauai annually (will be leaving again in 3 weeks, can't wait!), and I'm not personally familiar with that particular property. Hoewever, it is centrally located, which is a plus. Good luck!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Margot

Sorry about the double-posting!(actually I didn't think it had gotten through at all!)

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 01:13 PM
kal

Tammy, Funny you should ask. We just got back from Kauai 1-11-01 after staying at the Islander for 2 weeks.

It was our 10th stay there so I may be a bit biased in my opinion. We usually get the same room where you can see the sunrise from the bed.

It is that close to the ocean so if the noise of waves on the beach bothers you, do not get and oceanfront or oceanview. But, you'll be sorry if you don't.You can always close the door!

We can also see a full moon glimmering out our porch thru the trees. Ahhhhhh.

It's a large room. Wet bar, refrigerator,cable TV, phones with custom voicemail, safe, am/fm closk radio and I believe only the oceanfront rooms have microwaves and coffee makers.

Shower stall, no tub, vanity.

Have you checked their website? They have their own or I believe you can go into it thru Aston's website since they manage it now. See if Aston has any deals there if Ent-book doesn't.

All the rooms have been remodeled since last 11-99/02-00, so new carpet, tile, paint/wallpaper, etc.

Nice pool and jacuzzi. The Sand Bar is a nice place to sit and watch the ocean. In the winter months, sometimes the whales and dolphins play right off the coast.

The beach there is no way comparable to Poipu, Anini, Ke'e or others although people surf and snorkle there regularly.

We like staying there not only due to the price and the people we've met over the years but the location.

Within walking distance to cheap eats or some very fine restaurants (A Pacific Cafe, Coconuts, Lemongrass, Kintaro's, Mema's, Cafe Coco and Hong Kong Cafe.) and some shopping at Coconut Marketplace, Kinipopo Center, Safeway, Long's Drugs and Foodland.

It's only 30 mins or so to Princeville or Poipu and about 45 mins to Polihale depending on "rush hour traffic".
About 5-10 mins to the airport in Lihue.
Feel free...Mahalo

MARGOT: You're making Mrs Kal and I jealous...we have 347 more days until we go back. Give Coconuts and Lemongrass a try and let me know what you think. Can you say "Lobster Raviolis" at Coconuts or "911 Spicy Tuna Roll" at Lemongrass?!?!?! Great pupus!

Mahalo,
Kal