Suggestions for Chicago Hotel under $200

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would really like to stay in Downtown Chicago during my 2 night stay the first week of August. Going for an anniversary trip to see a Cubs game and visit tourist attractions. But I'm having trouble finding available hotels under $200. Anyone have suggestions of reasonable places to stay convient to tourist??

I am not opposed to staying farther away from Dowtown if the hotel is nice and reasonable. I would need suggestions on one that has easy transportation options into downtown.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 07:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Try looking in Naperville. http://www.hotelplanner.com/Hotels/5...rville-IL.html
There is a morning Amtrak train that gets into Union Station before 11AM. The fare each way is only $11/pp.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 07:18 PM

Naperville is in the boonies. Stay downtown. We have had good luck with hotels in the $100 range on Hot Wire.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Just did a quick check on Hot Wire -- 4 star, downtown,$119 and in the same area a 3 star for $84.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 07:39 PM

We got the Sheraton by Navy Pier off Priceline for approx $150 nt
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 09:44 PM

Have you tried the hotel bidding sites? Before you do, check www.betterbidding.com or www.biddingfortravel.com for tips on how to structure your bid and decipher the hotel descriptions.

You're likely to find deals at the Hyatt McCormick Place and Congress Hotel, but probably don't want to stay at either. The Hyatt is just isolated from everything except the convention center and Congress will be a basic bed and door with a lock. You'd also have to dodge picketers from their ongoing labor dispute.

Do not stay in Naperville. Even by taking Metra, the commuter train, you're over an hour from the city and outside rush hours, the trains run only once per hour.

If you're not able to find something in the River North/Magnificent Mile areas and look outside the central city, there are a few hotels in the Lincoln Park and Lakeview neighborhoods.

The Belden-Stratford overlooks Lincoln Park about 2 miles north of The Loop and is adjacent to several bus routes. About 2 miles north and a short walk from Wrigley are the Willows, Majestic and Best Western Hawthorne Terrace.

While staying in the city is more convenient, you could try the northern suburbs. There's the Orrington and Hilton Garden Inn in Evanston. Both are near the CTA Purple Line and about 45-60 mins from The Loop. There are several hotels just a couple miles west in Skokie around Old Orchard Mall. The CTA Bumber 97 bus and Pace 215 bus serve the mall or you could drive about a mile south and catch the Yellow Line L.

For transit info and a trip planner, check www.transitchicago.com. Transit passes would be a good idea. A 3-day pass is $14 and allows unlimited rides on all CTA trains and buses. They're available at the airport rail stations and most Walgreens or CVS stores.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks CityLights, we would really like the Magnificent Mile areas! I think I will just have to spend more time on websites. It seems that Aug 5-7 is a booked weekend, couldn't find anything on Priceline in the areas we are interested in. All of your information was super helpful and confirmed it might be worth paying more to stay somewhere centrally located.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 05:06 AM
cd

Place a bid on Priceline for the area you want and see what happens!
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 06:15 AM

August 5-7 is Lollapaloza, a huge music fest with several big name acts and an attendance averaging over 50,000. There's another 5,000 in town for a fashion industry show.

Deals will be very difficult to find and you may have to increase your budget a bit, but you should be able to get a hotel close to everything. The only thing Lolla may affect is if you plan to see Buckingham Fountain or the Museum Campus as it's in the south end of Grant Park. If you're in other parts of the city, you won't even know it's happening.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 06:42 AM

Hi paige,
Yikes! The rates are high! I tried a few "budget" places that are well located, and they were much higher than usual.

I would try quikbook.com -- they had the Sheraton Four Points Sheraton for $225. This is in a great location.

and then some of these places that are really well-located:

The Inn of Chicago
Holiday Inn Express - Cass Hotel

http://www.casshotel.com/reservations.php

http://www.innofchicago.com/inn_of_c...formation.html

Good luck!
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 08:04 AM

Homewood Suites has a great location and there are days in August when the AAA rate for one-bedroom units is under $200--including breakfast and light supper Mon-Thu.

HTTY
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM

Hawthorne Terrace is near Wrigley. It is a charming little boutique hotel, 3434 N. Broadway, at Hawthorne and Broadway, a Best Western property. 1 888 675 BEST, www.hawthorneterrace.com.
The neighborhood has coffee shops, markets, and nice little restaurants. It felt very safe at night.

Hawthorne Terrace has a European flair to it. It's set back from the sidewalk by a garden area which creates a nice quiet space between the street and the front door. There's a fireplace in the entry way, and it's been recently re-decorated in a charming old style.

A continental breakfast is included. Coffee and tea is available in the lobby at all times. Front desk service there is excellent. Our very large room had two queen beds and a small frig and a microwave. Very nice overall.

We were there two nights (in spring '07). The price was unbeatable: $160 + taxes. The desk clerk gave us a discount off the rack rate of $185, since we were checking in so late and agreed to take a smoking room (which smell really was not even detectable).

I highly recommend this hotel.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 11:11 AM

Try looking in Naperville

Naperville? That's about 35 miles away from downtown Chicago.