Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Gettysburg /Ghost Tours - Also, where to eat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Andi

Any suggestions for "ghost experiences" in Gettysburg? I read about the Farnsworth House Ghostwalks and Mourning theater. Any suggestions as to which is better?
Also - has anyone eaten at the Farnsworth House? Please reply via this board only - I'm having "issues" w/ my e-mail account!
Thanks in advance!

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 07:22 AM
former Gburg native

The best ghost tours are those operated by Nesmith (I forget his first name). They are the original ghost tours of Gettysburg and the owner wrote the Ghosts of Gettysburg books. Their headquarters is on the same street as the Farnsworth House but a few blocks closer to the center of town (i.e. the traffic circle). The Farnsworth House has terrific food and we always enjoyed meeting for drinks in their tavern. Another great place to eat is the Dobbin House. Lunch in the Springhouse Tavern is a must.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 03:45 PM
Celeste

I don't know about the ghost tours, but my family and I took a two-hour horseback ride (on Civil War-McClellan saddles!) across the battlefields and it was very eerie indeed. The rides aren't advertised as ghostly or spooky or scary, but all of us definitely felt there were many others around us as we rode through the places the tour busses can't go.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Lori

I didn't know Gettysburg was such a hot spot for ghostly activity until I read this article:
http://www.salon.com/books/int/2001/...sts/index.html

Have fun!

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 04:20 PM
kal

Hello,
The Lincoln Diner still open?

Had great home cookin' there (meatloaf!).
There was also a good pizza place/Italian restaurant near the battlefield near where the road "Y"s.

Great little city. Breathtaking Battlefield.

Old May 24th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Gettysburgian

Lincoln Diner is still open. Pizza place near the "Y" is Tommy's Pizza. Both are local favorites!

Old May 25th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Molly

A vote for "Farnsworth House" - great period food in an old house with an interesting history.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Mary

I've eaten at Farnsworth House several times, both indoors and on the patio. Since my husband and I are history buffs, we particularly like the fact that the Farnsworth House menu is foods of the 1860s. The pumpkin fritters are wonderful!
Also, I can recommend the Dobbin House and the Lincoln Diner which, as a classic diner with classic diner food is a real American treat for a Canadian like me.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 06:25 PM
lippincottfarm

Another vote for the Dobbin House for dinner; I have eaten there many times and have never had a bad meal. The Blue Parrot is also good. Ate at the Farnsworth House one time; the service was horrible and the wait with reservations was over one hour. For the first time in my life I left one penny as a tip. There also is a buffet restaurant next to the battlefield; surprisingly it was very good; I can't remember its name. Don't normally eat at buffets, but it came recommended. Suggest hiring a Park Service guide for a tour of the battlefield. Took a ghost tour with the group which is next to the Dobbin House; it was a bust; wouldn't recommend it. Try one of the others. Have fun.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:19 AM
jpm

The Buffet next to the battlefield is Picket's Charge. The food is very good. It is a family run business and they have a limited selection each night - and all "homemade". They also have a great dessert selection.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:29 AM
dan woodlief

Agree wholeheartedly about Pickett's Charge restaurant. We went there as an easy place to go with a 1 1/2 year old. There were few customers, which concerned me. However, the food turned out to be very good and an even better bargain.