Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Entertainment Book Savings (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/entertainment-book-savings-514879/)

iceeu2 Mar 22nd, 2005 11:44 AM

Entertainment Book Savings

Wow, I just received my Hawaii entertainment book which cost me $17.50 (now 1/2 price) and have already netted a savings of $74! That just tickles me to death. The savings was on a rental car. I thought I had a wonderful rate with Budget, but the entertainment rate is even better..and I ended up finding an even better rate with National.

I had no idea this book would be such a great savings, and the car deals are good until June, 2006 and anywhere, not just the state you buy the book for.

Just wanted to share this savings with y'all because I thought I had such a good rate directly thru the car rental agency that I wasn't even going to check the entertainment book rates.

Pat_in_Mich Mar 22nd, 2005 11:53 AM

I too have been shopping for rental cars and found that Entertainment offered the best rate by far. You need to go to their site and then they have links to book with all of the major rental car companies and then you automatically get the discount.

Rocky Mar 22nd, 2005 12:16 PM

Should I buy the book now? I will be in Hawaii in January 2006 and I thought I would have to wait to buy it. Also, you they send you the actual book or do you just download the info from the website? Thanks for you help!

ajcolorado Mar 22nd, 2005 01:12 PM

Rocky,

You will need to wait until this fall to buy your Entertainment Book. The coupons in this year's will expire in Nov. 2005

pollyvw Mar 22nd, 2005 01:19 PM

Click on my name and see the post about my use of Entertainment coupons for airline fares (on the Airline Forum). My daughter gave us one (her school was selling them as a fund raiser) and I was not really excited about it. The only potential I could see was using it for restaurants that I would not normally go to. Well...it just saved me almost $150 on a flight for 4 people.

iceeu2 Mar 22nd, 2005 03:56 PM

Hey polly, how about topping your post or say what the title of the post is.

I ordered it strictly for a couple of restaurant coupons. It's much better than I ever thought it would be.

Budman Mar 22nd, 2005 04:44 PM

My entertainment book arrived this afternoon. Just looked at it briefly, andthere were only 4 places to use it on Kauai -- what a disappointment.

I'll have to check out the rental car deals next week. ((b))

flbronc Mar 22nd, 2005 04:51 PM

Sales ploy ?

jlm_mi Mar 22nd, 2005 05:36 PM

flbronc - Are you accusing iceeu2 of posting this to increase sales of the Entertainment book? Because iceeu2 has been a regular contributor here for quite a long time. Not exactly an advertiser . . .

pollyvw Mar 22nd, 2005 07:39 PM

Airlines Forum: Coupon Book/Discount Airfares is the title of my post.

JohnD Mar 23rd, 2005 03:46 AM

((B))man =D> another reason few go there ((?))

Budman Mar 23rd, 2005 03:57 AM

I did notice a coupon for the Flying Lobster Restaurant on Kauai Coconut Beach Resort (Plantation) in Kapaa.

Anyone familiar with this place? Any good?

John, it's too late!! I guess I'm stuck. 64 more days. ((a))((b))

iceeu2 Mar 23rd, 2005 04:05 AM

Don't dispair, Budman. You can also use the one for The Shack (coupon A81), there's one for the Kalaheo Coffee Co...and best of all...Air Kauai and Holoholo Charters have 25% off. There's a BOGO for Plantation Carriages, but I haven't seen any discussion on this place.

And, sorry flbronc...but, I just wanted to share some savings ideas with others since most everyone here is always giving such good advice. As a matter of fact, I just told my friend yesterday, not to buy one because she is going to Maui in September and all of the coupons for Maui will still be intact.

Budman Mar 23rd, 2005 04:16 AM

iceeu2, I haven't researched it yet, but we are staying 4 days on Oahu. See any good deals for restaurants? ((b))

iceeu2 Mar 23rd, 2005 04:31 AM

Yes, as a matter of fact, I think there are probably some useable ones for Oahu restaurants. I am going to post in a bit and ask the Hawaii gurus about a few (7) and see if they are worth it or not. The couple I saw on Oahu that really float my boat are A113, A8, A26, A33...
I don't know if you plan to do The Polynesian Cultural Center (we are not), but there is a bogo for it...and also a 20%off at Hilo Hatties (everyone has to have a Hilo Hattie fix)!
I was just blown away by the savings on the rental car..honestly, our car rental was $92 less total than what I had already booked...
I'm gonna save so much that drink pool will be really heavy! See y'all on the 27th!!
i2

sk84fungirl Mar 23rd, 2005 08:00 AM

OK,

how do I get to this airline forum? Can't seem to find it )-:

jlm_mi Mar 23rd, 2005 08:02 AM

Click talk at the top of this page and you can choose it from there.

sk84fungirl Mar 23rd, 2005 08:56 AM

During my research and price comparisons for rental cars in Maui, I have discovered that AVIS does not honor the entertainment coupons in Hawaii. Tried to book online and was advised to call. Upon doing so, made the discovery. You can obtain other discounts through AAA or Sams Club.

Yours in sharing.

iceeu2 Mar 23rd, 2005 08:58 AM

And, I discovered that Hertz is off the charts any place I check their rates.

Hanalei Mar 23rd, 2005 09:23 AM

sk84fungirl, I found out the same thing about Avis the other day too.
I've used Entertainment coupon and have found that Alamo has very good rate. They don't charge the airport tax before they are offsite. You have to take shuttle about 2 miles out of airport. I am getting a full size for 5 days in Oahu for $139 including all taxes and fees.