Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Enough gouging already! What is the best travel deal you've found?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 07:01 AM
Tightwad

We've talked about outrageous pricing in the travel/entertainment industry. But aren't there still some good deals out there?

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 07:15 AM
curious

There sure are if you no where to look and are very flexible. I always check out moments notice and saw a Royal Caribbean cruise from NY to Bermuda late last June for $ 570 total for adults, $ 370 for kids (including all charges). Saw this on a Tuesday and we left that Saturday. Catch is you have to leave at a moments notice, hence the name. It was a great deal. Bermuda is so expensive and at that price, we certainly got more than what we paid for. I looked into this very same cruise one year prior and would have paid $ 4200 for the same cabin and dates had I booked then, instead of the $ 1900 it ended up for four! We even ended up getting upgraded to a balcony suite!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 07:23 AM
Cindy

I have to give Disney a pat on the back for the food prices. At a time when a lot of concession prices have exploded, I think they've actually improved their quality and prices a bit. Lunch (we shared a huge plate of pasta, chicken caesar salad and large drink) for five people was only $17. Tasted very good, too. Snack prices seemed to be in line with what you'd pay at most places, too.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 07:48 AM
herself

This is not in the USA but my favorite travel deal is in Ireland. I love Ireland and for $499.00 you can get an Aer Lingus flight, rental car and B&B vouchers for six nights. Heck, I can't go to NY for a weekend for that even if I drive there. Check out www.sceptretours.com then click Bargains.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 07:51 AM
curious

Sounds like a great deal herself! I've never been to Ireland and have been waiting for a great deal. Have you actually used this company? Was this in the dead of winter or do they offer this when weather is still good? Thanks for replying.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 07:56 AM
herself

Yes, I have used this company and so have my sons. I think you have to go from October to March. Don't upgrade the package. Plenty of B&B on farmhouse package. All th B&B's we used were beautiful and had private bath. You paid a few punts extra. Great breakfast included. Pub meals are about $5.00 for a large plate of meat, potatoes and vegetable. Ireland is a fun place. The friendliest people I have ever met.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 08:36 AM
curious

Thanks so much, herself. October would be a great time to go. I'm going to check out that website right now!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 09:02 AM
Michigan

I'm a tightwad too. I've found many great deals and wonderful fares over the years from Southwest, ATA, and now National.

But as far as lodging/food for your $$$, Michigan is not dirt cheap but for what you get for your money- it is outstanding. There is a B&B in the Irish Hills of Southern Michigan I know of that you can get an entire week stay for about $395 (NO ADDED COSTS). For this you get an outstanding room and private bath on a goregeous estate with elegant breakfast and hot tub etc. For this area you can go to hundreds of lakes and the big one Lake Michigan for different day's outings. Or you can canoe the St. Joe, bicycle, ski in winter or whatever you'd ever want to do outside in nature, except for surfing maybe. Sunsets are not to be believed and it is definitely one of the most underrated vacation states.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 09:07 AM
Chicagochick

Michigan:
I'm from Chicago and LOVE the state of Michigan. Where are the "Irish Hills"? And specifically, can you give me the phone number or website address of this B&B????

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 09:19 AM
curious

Herself, I just had to tell you that I just got off the phone with Sceptretours to begin planning our trip! My husband and I havn't been away without kids for awhile and were thinking of Santa Fe or Napa until I read your post. Looks like we are now going to Ireland for less $$$!! Just wanted to thank you for the great tip! I'm off to the Europe boards now to get educated on Ireland. Thanks again!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 09:32 AM
xxx

Curious: Just looked at the website and although the package looks good, the $499 does not guarantee private bath. There is a $35 surcharge for that. Also if you want an automatic car, it's an additional $45 per person. There are additional insurance surcharges if you want auto insurance. Also I don't know how comfortable I would be going abroad without a confirmed hotel reservation, you have to call ahead to your destination farmhouse to check on availability at day or two in advance. Also keep in mind that the average temperature in October in Dublin is 50 degrees and damp.

As you can see you have to ask all the right questions.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 09:35 AM
Michiganisbeautiful

Chicagochick, from another former Chicagochick who is now a hen. Website that lists many of the B&B's I've stayed at in Southern Michigan is
www.getaway2smi.com

The Irish Hills are in the Central and Eastern section of that website's map.
The entire state of Michigan is loaded with 200 to 500 acre All Sports Lakes and if you want to really range around try www.laketolake.com

I'm going to three different B&B's one week next month for 2 to 3 days each and roaming around 5 or 6 lakes where I have long time friends and am also canoeing down the St. Joe. Will bring our bikes and do some cycling too. The entire Southern section is outstanding for lake activity for us. If you have never been to Sleeping Bear Dunes on the shores of Lake Michigan (about 1/2 way up the state near Silver Lake Sand Dunes) - GO GO GO. Never had so much fun as jeeping (rental) those huge mountains of sand.

The prices are very modest for many of the B&B's. The one I mentioned for $395 is Mendon Inn, I think. They will do Amish dinners etc. too- if you want on certain weekends. Also have romantic packages with canoe picnic and many other options. We will go to Indian, Big Fish, Finch, Saddlebag, Union and Dewey Lakes for sure and will probably hit Scott and Corey too. If you are a golfer, Irish Hills is totally heaven.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 09:42 AM
Chicagochick

Michigan:
Yes, we have gone to Sleeping Bear and I actually got a tear in my eye when I was told the legend. (On the same trip, we went further north to Petoskey - gorgeous.) It was wonderful there. SSSHHHH. Don't tell anyone else about this State. P.S. My mom went to Dewey Lake every summer as a kid. Ever been to Sisters' Lakes???

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 10:01 AM
bennie

The best deal I ever got was 7 years ago when my husband and I went to Las Vegas from Boston for 3 nights for $350 - which included hotel, airfare, breakfast and a show.

Just this summer we went to Toronto as a family of four and only spent $1500 for six nights. That was for a four star hotel, meals, gas and entertainment. Granted we drove so that made a huge difference but with the exchange rate Canada is the best bargain going these days.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 10:12 AM
Chicagohen

Don't worry about keeping it a secret. We are too far from the coasts for them to bother about us in the Midwest. Also tourists from the rest of the world always skirt the "outsides" of the USA except for maybe Chicago- and then only stay downtown. So they miss the best parts and keep reading their own press to agree with all their own picks. We have it made.

Yes, I've been to Sisters and Paw-Paw and all through the 3 Rivers area also.
One of my oldest friends has a place on Sisters. I'm looking to buy but can't afford that area. My grandchildren are often water skiing on Finch, Saddlebag, and Big Fish. I've spent a lot of time on Magician, Dewey, Scott, and also Koontz Lake in Indiana. Swimming across an inland lake in midsummer with a billion stars, your designated tracker, and nature is something that few people get to experience. We are so LUCKY!

Lately we have begun seeing kestrels and other hawks quite often. The coyote are back in full force too. When the heron / cranes duck to go under your deck in the morning- you can never forget it. I've been all over out West and they have some great places, especially in Colorado but $$$. Yes, you are right after all, ssssh.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 10:25 AM
herself

Welcome Tightwad.
To xxx. I usually stay on the western part of Ireland and book my first night stay only. I never prebook any other B&B's because I'm not too sure just where I'll end up. Ireland is very easy to do. Almost every house is a B&B. I never stayed at one that did not have private toilets. You get a book with all the B&B's your vouchers will take. Never any problem getting a place when you arrive at your destination. (I would prebook Dublin) I never get the extra insurance on the vehicle. My insurance and credit card company would handle any extra charges. Again, they are very laid back. On our first stay, we brought the car back with loads of scratches on the left side. They just smiled and said it was expected. Hmmm. Also because of the narrow roads that you must share with sheep, the smallest car is best. Automatic transmission is not the usual in Europe.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 10:33 AM
curious

xxx, Thanks for the suggestions. I did notice that private bath was only $ 36 more pp. Well worth it IMO. I have traveled many places in Europe w/out reservations and am pretty adventurous, so going without them doesn't faze me, and as for the car, my husband and I actually prefer a stick shift, it reminds me of the old days when we owned sports cars! I can see how a trip like this isn't for everyone, but it's right up my alley. I HATE tours and prefer to be as free as possible to decide where and when I go!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 11:05 AM
No Bleeding Heart

Winnipeg, Manitoba. Exchange rate, exchange rate, exchange rate.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 11:22 AM
Chicagochick

Hen:
You are so right about not being able to afford homes in the area. It seems anything within a four-hour drive of Chicago is now out of sight, price-wise. (In the 70's, we used to go to the area just outside of Long Beach, IN - on Lake Michigan. You could have gotten a cottage there for $8,000 - $12,000 - now they are over $100,000. Aaahh hindsight. I didn't have $8,000 in the 70's anyway.) Loved your bird sightings. Our dream is to have our primary home in Michigan near St. Joe or further north & a condo in Chicago. Maybe some day.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 12:43 PM
Chicagohen

Looking at the exchange rate I might plan on Canada next year instead of going to Europe. Banff and Lake Jasper area is the one everyone knows about and it is awesome- but may try for some lesser known areas where I'm sure the travel dollar will go far.

Chicagochick, I bought a summer house (480 acre lake in Indiana with great waterfront) in 1990 for $60,000 with a boat. I had to sell it in 1995 for $125,000. The people knocked down the little house and built a 3000 square foot house. The property is worth about
$450,000 now. This is within 2 hours of Chicago. The lot alone is worth more than 3 times what I bought it for only 10 years ago.

My dream would be to have my year round house in Michigan on a lake and a condo in the mountain SW, maybe northern New Mexico or Arizona near Flagstaff. I have to have seasons and really could do the Chicago / Michigan thing too. If you want your Chicago condo you better act now. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was passing on a doable condo about 8 years ago right across the steet from the Art Institute. Now only literate millionaires can touch a studio in that area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -