Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Embassy Suites La Jolla (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/embassy-suites-la-jolla-526360/)

Hayley May 3rd, 2005 01:30 PM

Embassy Suites La Jolla

My husband and I are planning a trip to San Diego in November. I'm thinking of booking at the Embassy Suites in La Jolla. I would appreciate some feedback on this hotel and the area. I know the Zoo and Sea World are'nt really that close but is it a real hassle to get there from La Jolla? Thanks.

inthechips2 May 3rd, 2005 02:39 PM

If I recall correctly, this hotel is not too far off the freeway that takes you down into the San Diego area. The hotel is not down near the ocean in La Jolla, rather it is near a business park/shopping mall. I think it is a fine point if you want to simply stay in the area and get to various attractions. There is nothing special about the location though, if that is what you are looking for. It also is several miles north of San Diego, and easy to drive north from there to Carlsbad and Oceanside areas where there are nice beaches.

mikesmom May 3rd, 2005 02:44 PM

My family stayed at this Embassy Suites five years ago when we visited San Diego. The hotel was fine. Typical Embassy Suites. As stated, it is not near the ocean, but the area was fine - PF Chang's in the same parking lot - nice mall across the street. We went to the Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Legoland, etc. As I recall, we stayed there a couple of nights and then we moved to Loews Coronado Bay Resort on Coronado Island for three nights. It was a fun trip. San Diego is great!

ssm May 3rd, 2005 02:44 PM

I cannot speak on the Embassy Suites in La Jolla but I can tell you that I have stayed at the Embassy Suites San Diego Bay on a few occasions. I found that location more convenient for Sea World and the Zoo plus it was right across the street from Seaport Village. Also, Old Town San Diego is very close by as well.

The hotel itself, as all Embassy Suites, cater more to the business traveler. The pool is not nice (it is indoors and smells heavily of chlorine) but since you are going in November, I don't think the pool is a big deal. The rooms are large, very clean and nicely kept. The hotel has a decent lounge and seafood/sushi restaurant. The breakfast in the morning was very plentiful and as good as you would find in most diners. The complimentary reception/happy hour in the evening was a nice touch as well.

I would stay there again.

Barbara May 3rd, 2005 02:54 PM

It is next to I-805 but not overlooking the freeway. Try to avoid that freeway between 3:30pm and 6:30pm if possible, although it's not always bad.

It's across the road from a shopping mall (University Towne Center) which has a good Nordstrom store - not that there's a bad Nordstrom store! There are several good restaurants in the area, some easily walkable, including Donovan's for steaks, Roy's and PF Chang. There is also a great Italian seafood place called Tutto Mare.

If you want to spend evenings downtown in the Gaslamp, then you'd be better staying in that area.

follow_your_bliss May 3rd, 2005 03:11 PM

This is a nice ES. We stayed there last summer because it was more than $50 cheaper than the San Diego location. It's probably 15 minutes from the zoo--not a problem at all. Of course, we weren't planning on sightseeing much because my husband had a cast on his foot.

sunbum1944 May 3rd, 2005 03:25 PM

I dont think its a big hassle to get to the zoo or Sea World from there -
however - when in SD I prefer to stay somewhere close to the ocean - where I can at least walk down to the beach -
My daughter lives in Carlsbad- I love that town and although some people wont agree- I think its not that hard to get to the zoo or sea world from there- and would prefer to stay there -
I do agree there is a nice mall in LaJolla- but there is a really nice outlet mall in Carlsbad.

Melissa5 May 3rd, 2005 11:46 PM

The Embassy Suites in La Jolla isn't near the ocean, as everyone has mentioned. It's actually just a few miles from my house! It's in a business/shopping district next to P. F. Changs. But I would say it's a bit more than a 15-minute drive to the zoo...at least 20 minutes to the zoo, maybe 25.

Our San diego freeways are very congested during work traffic times. If you're driving keep that in mind.

A much more charming area would be to stay in la Jolla near the beach, La Jolla Shores, or near the La Jolla Cove. But there's sometimes traffic getting out of La Jolla onto the freeway.

skatterfly May 5th, 2005 10:25 AM

ttt