Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ellis Island-Are Museum artifacts back? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ellis-island-are-museum-artifacts-back-1090067/)

AndyCarl Mar 17th, 2016 06:12 AM

Ellis Island-Are Museum artifacts back?

I understand that Ellis Island reopened several years ago after the devastating Hurricane Sandy. However, the NPS has a notation that the museum artifacts are still being "dried-out". Has anyone been recently that could speak to this? Two lines on my family entered through Ellis Island yet I am not sure if I want to spend my time to see the building and photographs that others have described. I am only in NYC for 5 days.

doug_stallings Mar 17th, 2016 06:49 AM

The museum fully reopened in May 2015, so less than a year ago not "several years ago". I can't tell you which, if any, specific artifacts may not be available if and when you visit, but the museum is certainly reopened, as are all the current exhibits. It's no longer under restoration as far as I know. I'm not sure where you're reading this.

The museum is certainly worth a visit, so I guess you have to decide if this single attraction is worth almost 20% of your visiting time in NYC or if it's something you'd want to put off for a future visit. But even a short visit to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island will keep you busy from the time of the first ferry until at least lunch time, if not longer. If you decide to go, I'd urge you to reserve a time on the first ferry of the day (those tickets go fast and need to be booked several weeks in advance) so you can maximize your visit. Then decide how much time you want to devote to this attraction. It's easy to combine a trip to the Statue/Ellis Island with a visit to see the Financial District, including the Museum of the American Indian and Federal Hall (if it's a weekday), Chinatown, and perhaps a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge in the late afternoon. That's a nice, full day and a day well-spent in my opinion.

Hobbert Mar 17th, 2016 08:51 AM

We went to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty last week and found the exhibits worthwhile. We ended spending at least 3 hours just wandering around the museum and both sites. We got tickets that allowed us to climb to the crown of the statue and that was wonderful! I will say it's a strenuous climb and quite tight in spots but I'm so glad we did it. On Ellis Island, I wanted to research my family since we came through there but, unfortunately, we arrived prior to the years records were available. I don't recall the exact years they had available but my family arrived just before the Civil War, so if your family arrived before then as well, you won't be able to locate records. But it's still well worth a visit and the tickets are very cheap. The 9/11 memorial is a short walk away from Battery Park so we stopped by there too. We didn't visit the museum but I found the outdoor memorials to be quite moving.

AndyCarl Mar 17th, 2016 09:18 AM

Thank you! You both have been very helpful. I am happy to hear the restoration of Ellis Island is complete and appreciate the tips to make this as easy as possible. We have been to NYC before, I should have mentioned that, but love the idea of a walk to the 9/11 memorial. We are looking for things to do while my daughter is at work. (She does not sight-see...too busy living her life.) We are planning on a day at the Natural History Museum, a day in Central Park, and a day walking in Brooklyn. We don't want to get over-planned. NYC is so wonderful to savor.

AndyCarl Apr 2nd, 2016 05:20 PM

Just returned from a week in NYC. Wonderful visit! As for Ellis Island---All the artifacts from the third floor are still missing because of Hurricane Sandy. They are housed in a Smithsonian building in Maryland. Most are ready to be returned (they were cleaned and dried). However the park ranger said that the paperwork to transport them back is a nightmare because it is going through government offices as well as private donors and foundations. He said they were suppose to be back two weeks ago...so hopefully soon. Still enjoyed the visit and had a late lunch at Fraunces Tavern on Pearl Street, where George Washington celebrated the end of the Revolutionary War. Food and service was great and the prices were very reasonable.