Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Eliot Hotel, Boston and Seetheworld if you're around....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone stayed here recently? I searched some posts, but many were from 05 and further back. Supposedly had some renovations recently.

I just booked Easter weekend, and of course can change, but here is what we were looking for.

Family of four (we live just outside of Boston) - I had booked 2 rooms @ Fairmont Copley Plaza for this weekend as surprise for husbands birthday, with our kids surprising him coming in -one from college and one from NYC, and some local relatives joining us for various brunches, dinners, etc - but had to cancel b/c of illness w/ daughter.

I am rescheduling for Easter weekend and Copley didn't have what we needed for kids (room w/ 2 double beds for them- one male one female; non available and I don't want to spring for 2 separate rooms for them as they'll be sitting in one yakking half the night anyway or out together long after we go to bed)

Eliot has a suite - one br w/ the 2 doubles, one w/ king and living room in between. Seems perfect for us 'configuration wise' and price was less than what I was spending for two rooms. Trip advisor had very mixed reviews from loving it to tanking it.... once daughter is better in a week or so I could drive in and actually check it out, but since Easter Wknd seems to be booking up, thought I'd ask the experts here if anyone had been recently and had any comments on the Eliot.

Had originally chosen Fairmont b/c we were married there, but we have done that before on anniversary and can another time - otherwise, I would personally prefer quaintness and ambiance to a major hotel chain like Westin, etc.....not that I don't like Westin and have put many relatives there for location, shops, etc - but not for us for this wknd.

Thought of Jury's for a switch, and comfortable w/ walking Boston since I grew up there, but thought Eliot easier location to what we would be doing (ICA, Stephanie's, Hammersley's, Charles St, some surprises for hubby at Bella Sante, etc)

I've read bathrooms are small (not an issue) - what I care about is a quiet room (which they assured me) and that it is Clean - with the capital C......anyone stayed recently???
Seetheworld, I think you have more recently by some of your posts.....
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:37 AM

Don't forget that this year, the Marathon is the day after Easter, which accounts for a lot of the bookings. Roads will be closed off in the Copley area, lots of crowds, etc. Even the usual pedestrian experience will be affected all weekend. The Eliot is a couple of blocks removed from the worst of the madness, so location at least is a good choice.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:52 AM

But as I recall the Marathon goes right by the front door of the Eliot - which could be a good thing. It will definately hamper your ability to walk around the city - ie you won't be able to easily cross over Comm Ave or Boyleston. I haven't stayed at the Eliott but I've eaten at Clio - yummy!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

we are meeting at the hotel at 3pm Friday, husband arriving around 4pm - the kids will be leaving Sunday after brunch - hubby and I probably by the afternoon so I am thinking we'll see the usual saw horses, etc in prep but we will be long gone - Ibut I had forgotten all about marathon ...almost surprised they let me book for 2 rooms and didn't have a 3 night stay, or is Monday not really any holiday other than in our town ....which is too bad we're missing, kids have to go but maybe the 2 of us will stay, good memories of watching while at BU and haven't watched for a few years...
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:19 AM

Yes, escargot, I'm around! Snow Day today!

First I want to say that I hope your daughter is feeling better very soon!

We have stayed in a number of Boston Hotels including the Marriott - Copley, Marriott - Long Wharf, The Lenox, and The Eliot (and the Hilton in Cambridge and the dreaded Marriott in Newtown). But I'm not an expert, lol!

I looked at the TripAdvisor reviews for both the Eliot (the first of which was by someone who didn't even stay at the hotel, but was annoyed because they wouldn't let 5 people stay in one room) and The Lenox (all seem very glowing). Comparing those two hotels, however, I much, much prefer the Eliot.

We always stay in the one bedroom suite. And while the bathrooms are on the small side, they have always been very clean -- this includes the room as well.

For a hotel that is located on the corner of Commonwealth and Mass Ave, it is quiet. Granted you will occasionally hear a siren, but compared to many other places, it is a tight and therefore quiet hotel.

We love the location. Since we always drive up to Boston, we just valet park our car and do not use it again until we go home -- we always walk, cab, or take the T.

Hopefully you can get up there to check things out for yourself.

Wherever you decide to stay, have a great trip with your family! I'm so jealous that you could eat at Stephanie's! I wish they would have a place where I live that served such wonderful dinner salads! Yum!

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

I don't have to check out the room next week when in town after reading your post seetheworld - I've read or been on many of the same posts as you enough to know we think alike on a number of counts - so that rec from you is good enough for me. The sirens, having grown up in Boston, won't bother us -

I never forget how lucky I am to be able to eat at Stephanie's at least once a month- I love that place - from the apps to the salads - and dinner! - even their egg salad is the best - now that daughter is in nyc (not that there aren't good restaurants there!) she always wants Steph's when she comes home- it was the restaurant I took her to on our first "girls only" day in town for shopping, spa, dinner, etc -

So now I am off to rebook all the other restaurant arrangements, etc and hope it being Easter wknd I can get everything I had for this wknd.

Thanks for the words of recovery for daughter - it's that vicous mono bug and she is down for the count for awhile and better to do that at home than in an apt w/ three girls coming in and out 24/7.....I haven't had to do the custard, chicken soup,popsicle thing in a looooong time
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:00 PM

escargot, that's nice of you to say and I hope you won't be disappointed -- heavy burden to bear, making recommendations

Is one of your children still at BU? My oldest son keeps saying how being at BU were the best years of his life, lol. I miss it too!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Seetheworld: No, not one of my kids - it was me who was at BU - and I graduated decades ago
But relatives still on Beacon St and we watched from tehre for many years and a few years ago from Abe & Louies.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

seetheworld - we completed our stay at the Eliot and it was beyond fabulous ! so thanks for the rec - I would tell anyone to stay there - delightful - am posting a separate short trip report -
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Escargot, I am so glad to read that you had a great experience at the Eliot. I will look forward to reading your report! Hope your daughter is back to her old self!
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Seetheworld - how nice of you to remember, yes daughter is feeling much like her old self, I'd say about 90% - not yet ready to go back to her old ways of burning the candle at both ends, but back to work averaging 5 hr days and then some early nights out....working her way back to full steam, although she is dying to get back to the gym and that's still another 6 wks away ! But all is well and thank you for remembering and asking