Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

"Elegant" restaurant in a hotel next to Atlanta airport

Old Aug 20th, 2018, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying from SFO to the Atlanta airport & staying for a 1 nighter at the airport. Then we have a morning flight to Charleston the next morning. We arrive in Atlanta at 7pm (only carry- on luggage).

What is the most "elegant" white tablecloth restaurant inside a hotel that has a short shuttle to the airport?? We're not looking for a "theme" restaurant. I'll assume that the menu won't be as "diverse" or "complex" as we have here in San Francisco or what we find in France (where we spend 2 months each year). Steaks are fine. Burgers & sandwiches only are not. The focus will be "ambience" - not necessarily the food. My wife & I are about 70 years old.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 09:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know of that many high end places near the airport -- there is a nice Steakhouse at the Marriott -- Bentleys. And Andiamo at the Hilton is nice-ish. I've only otherwise stayed in more down market chains at ATL so maybe some locals will have better suggestions.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 07:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Topping this
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 12:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why dine by the airport when Marta is right there and so convenient to take you anywhere in the city.?
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

We arrive at the Atlanta airport at 7PM after a cross country flight. Then we will need to use a hotel shuttle to get us to the hotel to check in & drop off the bags - maybe around 8:00pm. That's about the latest we want to have dinner on that day. We have a somewhat early flight the next morning.

Perhaps if there is a restaurant that is significantly better than what we can get in San Francisco, Paris, Brittany, London, or Charleston - then we may consider Marta (whatever that is). A "fabulous" hotel is not important - we'll only be awake & not having dinner for a couple of hours at the most. Same with what's "outside" the hotel.

Thanks for the responses. I checked out the menu at Bentleys, and that seems OK - unless someone can recommend a better restaurant at an airport hotel with a shuttle.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 06:49 AM

I usually stay at the Renaissance Concourse- it's got a nice restaurant with a view of the runways.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj & novenber_moon !!.

It's interesting that the only two recommendations came from fellow Northern Californians. I read about 15 years ago in the SF Chronicle, that people from the San Francisco Bay Area travel more than people from anywhere else in the US. They also read more books, drink more, and are 3rd with post-graduate degrees (behind Seattle & DC).

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marta is Atlanta's version of Bart, and connects directly to the airport. The Marriott is a good idea because you don't even need a shuttle, the sky train from the airport goes to the Marriott.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 01:27 PM

Well, hoping I don't offend, but anyways.. After moving to Florida (originally growing up in California), I learned one truism: "When you die, no matter whether you're going to Heaven or Hell, you still have to pass through Atlanta."
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 01:59 PM

I have a client in Augusta that I visit regularly and fly in and out of Atlanta. I always drive back to Atlanta in the afternoon/evening and fly out first thing in the morning, so I am all about the hotel with a shuttle and nice restaurant on-site. I found the Renaissance and it became my go-to.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks clarksgriswald. I liked the menu at Bentleys - so Marriot it is!! It seems to be a little far from the airport to have a sky train. Maybe I don't know what a sky train is!! Just to make sure, is this the Marriot you are referring to??
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...5-54ba596febe2

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

November_moon
I looked at the menu at the Renaissance and it did not look as interesting as Bentleys.
Hickory & Hazel at the Renaissance

H.H.Dinner.pdf

Bentleys
Bentleys___B_Plus_Menu_May_2018.pdf

Hey - these both seem to be Marriot hotels. Are there two Marriots at the airport??? Which one has the skyway??

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 09:22 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
One of the top restaurants in the city is IN the airport. It is FABULOUS!
One Flew South -
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...a_Georgia.html
It doesn't have white tablecloths but it does have incredible food.

The two Marriott hotels attached to the Sky Train are the "gateway" hotels. They are the Atlanta Airport Gateway and the SpringHill Suites Gateway. The Marriott has a restaurant. The SHS is steps away.

I agree that the Renaissance and the Hilton (shuttle rides away) have good food for hotels, but they are not destination restaurants.

If you want real white tablecloth restaurants, take the MARTA train or Uber/Lyft to Midtown or Downtown.

Edited to add - No, that is not the correct link. That's an older Marriott and I didn't care for it much when it was new.

Here's the link for the new Gateway Marriott -
https://www.marriott.com/hotel-info/...t-connected.mi
and here -
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...riott-gateway/

When they built the new RCC (Rental Car Center) they built a train to get to it. Two new hotels went up as well. So the Sky Train services the RCC and the gateway hotels. The hotels are next to a small convention center as well - that's just outside airport property (not the big one in downtown Atlanta).

Edited again to add notes about the "trains" involved -
There are 3 trains connected to the airport -
One is the the Plane Train that moves people between the concourses and the Domestic and International terminals. Each concourse is 1/4 mile apart from each other, except for the new F that is in the International Terminal and further away (because it's on the other side of the interstate expressway at the new runway). One Flew South is at Concourse E, not far from the escalator.

The Sky Train is the new train that connects to the RCC and gateway hotels. To get to the Sky Train, you exit the Domestic Terminal at Ground Transportation, walk a few feet, go inside and up the escalator train level.

MARTA is the public transportation system and the airport station is inside the Domestic Terminal just before you exit the doors. It's the southern end of the line for the train north to downtown and then Midtown.

If you are at the international terminal, you can take a shuttle to the RCC and/or the Domestic Terminal.

Last edited by starrs; Aug 23rd, 2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 06:39 PM

My wife & I are about 70 years old.

Is the approximation a sign of age?
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

If course - 66 years ago I was exactly 5 1/4.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 08:18 AM

Flying into Atlanta makes us feel like we are coming home. We love SC, GA, The Bahamas and Turks & Coaicos and so usually end up in Atlanta.

I’d totally agree with all the above we found The Renaissance to be a bit soulless but love the Marriott and had good food/service at all their restaurants. Really like the Sushi bar and Bentleys (but not the name). It hits above its weight as an airport hotel.

I swear that Delta are playing with schedules to ensure more travellers end up wit( over night stops.

We have always found downtown Atlanta a big ask on an overnight following a long flight from the UK.

Stu

Is this your first visit to Charleston?

Starrs

thanks for the hint about Ome Flew South, we love the look of it but over the years have looked above airport restaurants as they never seem to deliver for the price. Will try it next time as we usually end up at the Asian takeaway with my son being ill from drink 13 different types of coke (including grape) from the free machines. He is only allowed coke at Atlanta airport as a treat.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

>>Stu

Is this your first visit to Charleston?
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 09:14 AM

Stu, as an aside, please post a link to the house tour page. It sounds like something I'd like to do sometime.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

2018 Festival of Houses & Gardens | Historic Charleston Foundation Events

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 06:06 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
One Flew South is not an "airport restaurant" that happens to be fairly good.
It's a destination restaurant that happens to be in the restaurant. It's there for that reason.
It's really the only choice for foodies and I don't know of a similar restaurant elsewhere. It's an ingenious model. When you approach to be seated, they will ask how much time you have. They won't seat you unless you have the time to fully enjoy the dining experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -