El Tovar Hotel/Grand Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have a one night reservation for the El Tovar for a king deluxe room in October. I have been reading such bad reviews of this hotel as to service,run down rooms, etc. Need some feedback on other people's experiences. I know I was lucky just to get the room and we're only sleeping in it one night.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:13 AM

We are staying there for one night too....I figured I can stand almost anything for one night, yes? It is all about the location to me. We also have reservations (6:30) for sunset dining at their restaurant. Judy
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:56 AM

There's been a very recent thread running on this website about El Tovar, just type in the keyword.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:59 AM

I stayed at El Tovar in April of 2002. We stayed in one of the suites, which in my mind was very nice but not worth the money. I told myself that if I stayed again, it would just be in a regular room, as it seems to me that the hotel and its location are really the main attractions. This hotel, like all others there in the park, is run by the park services so it's hard for me too believe that they would let it run down much. As far as the bad reviews go, a lot of that is probably because of high expectations. If you are expecting a really high class hotel, there is no doubt you will be disappointed but if you are expecting a nice room with a location in the park that can't be beat, you will be just fine. Make sure that if you would like to eat in the hotel's dining room, that you make reservations before you go. It has gotten mixed reviews here also, but I found the food to be very good. We made the mistake of waiting until we were there to make a reservation and got stuck dining after 9 o'clock. So I say don't worry about the room and do make dinner reservations and have a good time!
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:21 AM

We stayed in a regular room at the El Tovar a few years ago. Our room was in the basement of the hotel. Our view was of peoples feet walking down the sidewalk. The room was dark, musty smelling, and outdated. I paid a fortune and made the reservations a year in advance. The location of the hotel was great, everything else was terrible!
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:21 AM

We stayed at the El Tovar last December and would not stay anywhere else if we were to return. Waking up in the morning and being able to stare down into the grand canyon with your cofee in hand is worth the extra price. Seeing all the deer around in the morning evenings was wonderful too. The hotel is nice as long as you don't expect the Ritz. We found the restaurant to be very nice. Go and have a good time. You booked the right place.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:24 AM

We stayed their This past April, and also wouldn't stay anywhere else. No, it is definitely not the Ritz, it is what I would call -rustic elegance, and right up our alley. I loved it, and there isn't anything in a 400 mile radius that comes close.

We had a large room on the 3rd floor, but not a suite. It was about $140/night. The room was very nice, big, with a large bathroom and even a walk-in closet. The bedspreads and furnishings were in great shape, but not luxurious, I also felt the colonial style was out of character, but it was still nice. We also had a view of the canyon.

I noticed while we were walking through the hallways some VERY small rooms. I think they reserve those for 2 people and leave the larger rooms like ours for families of 4 (we had our 2 sons). Our room had 2 double beds and as I said, was very spacious. Since you have a deluxe room, I'm sure it will be neither small nor in the basement.

The service was widely varied. We ran into some outstanding staff and some very rude. I can only attribute this to the fact that they must have to hire some less then stellar people because lets face it, how many people want to isolate themselves at the Grand Canyon to work?

I think it really makes a difference in the experience to actually stay in the park and especially at El Tovar. The lobby is wonderful, the view spectacular and the dining room is also fantastic. I just loved the architecture and history of the place. We had drinks in the bar overlooking the canyon, and breakfast and dinner in the dining room. Slow service, but worth it. The food (esp. breakfast), was great, and the atmosphere was unbeatable. Ask for a table near the window/fireplace overlooking the canyon.

So I would NOT CANCEL. Just make sure you get a good room, as obviously they are varied. Bottom line, Location, location, location. Can't be beat. We loved it.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 06:35 PM

Don't hesitate for a second if you can get a room at the El Tovar! It's not a luxury hotel, but it's a beautiful, old, historic place in one of the world's most incredible locations. When heads of state visit the Grand Canyon, they stay at the El Tovar without question.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. We do have a king deluxe booked for $179 so although it's not a suite it's still an upgrade. I have heard the restaurant is very good and the location can't be beat. Appreciate all your comments and advice.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 11:15 AM
weenie57

It's a good place to stay for one night. Make sure you make dinner reservations before you leave home. The restaurant can be very busy, but it is nice.

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 11:17 PM

Hi All--

Just returned 2 days ago from the Grand Canyon & will post a trip report soon. Now, I'll just respond to this post regarding El Tovar.

We stayed at Kachina Lodge next to the El Tovar. We had a canyon view (reservation said partial view), but it was a fantastic view. We paid $126.00 a night. The key is, as others have mentioned, do not have high expectations. However, we were so very pleased with our room, view & the location.

I was confused by everyone's varied opinions on places to stay, from different travel boards (AOL & Fodor's), but once you are there (Grand Canyon Village), you will understand.

I believe you will be very happy with your king deluxe at the El Tovar. It is a beautiful Lodge, & all the people we dealt with were very accomodating. Once you walk over to the rim & look down, you will be so awestruck, you will not care where you spend the night, as long as you are in the Canyon.