Search

Eight Days in Maui and Kauai- Need Hotel Help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eight Days in Maui and Kauai- Need Hotel Help

Folks

We are going to Maui on Dec 4, and then on to Kauai on the 8th- THIS IS OUR FIRST TIME IN HAWAII! Staying at Ritz in Maui but still looking for a good place in Kauai- I understand this time of year some parts (East?) could have rain, while South is always sunny - is that right? Which part would you recommend and which hotels? There are four adults and one teen in our family- I prefer a two bdrm suit but they are hard to get so we'll probably get two rooms. Also, would much appreciate any suggestions for activities, restaurants, and logistics (care rental, etc.) in both islands. Thanks much in advance.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 09:29 AM

This time of year you would be much better off in Poipu on Kauai. The Hyatt is the standard upscale hotel there.

Be aware the weather could be quite rainy and windy in the Kapalua are where the Ritz Carlton is on Maui. I avoid that area in winter months.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM

If you choose the Poipu area (I would), check out the Marriott Waiohai -- very lovely property with ALL 2-bedroom "apartments". If you look on TripAdvisor, there are quite a few "traveler's photos" that give a good idea of the place. It's not as "upscale" a hotel as the Hyatt, but it's very very nice. The units are very comfortable, the landscaping is gorgeous and it's on a nice beach (which the Hyatt is not). There's also Kiahuna next door, which is a beautiful condo complex spread out over gorgeous grounds.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 09:55 AM

The Kauai Hyatt is on a very nice beach (Shipwreck). It's just dangerous to swim off the beach there. Poipu is on the dry side of Kauai.

Kapalua could be wet in December. If you have the opportunity to switch accommodations you might look at the hotels in Wailea, Maui, which include the Four Seasons.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 10:25 AM

Oops, yes, I meant it didn't have a good SWIMMING beach, which the Marriott and Kiahuna both do have.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 10:36 AM

The negative about the Hyatt is the rough beach not suitable for swimming. There is also no swimmable beach within easy walk.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 10:38 AM

The beach below the Ritz-Carlton may also be quite rough if the wind kicks up.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for very useful advice- I can change Ritz and that's why I mentioned it- What would you recommend instead of Ritz, at a more suitable beach? Also, I did look into Marriott and it is very reasonable but no restaurants or room service, as it is not really a full hotel - are there places nearby that we can easily go to eat? I don;t mind that it is not as upscale, as long as it is convenient and clean, and the good beach is VERY important for my son.

Thanks
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 12:27 PM

Any of the Wailea hotels will have much better chance at sun and calm water in December. The Grand Wailea has a huge and extensive pool system, but it is a very big hotel and I have read complaints about delays in the service. The Four Season's is luxurious, but maybe better suited to couples. They do have suites, though.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 01:10 PM

There is a small shopping center across the street from Kiahuna and the Waiohai with a number of restaurants, including Roy's, Keoke's, Puka Dog. It's also near (but driving distance) to Koloa Town, and other "southern" areas/restaurants.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 01:36 PM

You should look at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui-Polo Beach, Wailea. All suite hotel. They do have villas for those who want privacy and room to stretch out. Great beach. That area is also the driest part of Maui. You may see Pacific humpback whales swim up to your lanai in December.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Wailea Beach Villas on Maui.

Grand Hyatt on Kaui. It is a 20 minute walk though Poipu Kai to Poipu Beach for swimming in the ocean.

Old Nov 25th, 2008, 04:40 AM

Safa1, if you definitely want to stay south on Kauai, check out The Marriott Waiohai. They have 2 br suites. You can check directly with marriott, or on vrbo.com or on redweek.com

Less expensive, but beautiful 2 br condos are at the Waipouli Beach Resort. This is on the east side, but Kauai is such a small island, and being east, you can go north or south for the day. When we stayed, we rented thru an individual on vrbo.com

Also, check out summitpacific.com. They have lots of good listings.

Old Nov 25th, 2008, 05:55 AM

You could also try the Sheraton on Poipu beach, right next to the Marriott Waihoa, although the Hyatt is our favorite. On Maui, Wailea will be waaay drier than Kapalua.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 08:52 AM

If you do decide on the Marriott Waiohai, I highly recommend confirming that you have a room overlooking the "interior" of the horseshoe. The first room we were given overlooked the parking lot. We moved.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - We really wanted a full resort experience so I skipped the condos and Marriott. Moved the Ritz reservation to Grand Wailea - they are fixing their big water-activity pool, but at least offered us a good deal. Four Seasons and Fairmont was going to be too pricey. In Kauai, I skipped the Hyatt, based on the comments about its beach, and booked an ocean view suite at Sheraton. Do let me know if you have any knowledge/update on these properties and their beaches. Going to work on the activity itinerary now but that should be easy. Thanks again for all your help. I'll try to post a report after the trip, if I have anything insightful to share.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Going to work on the activity itinerary now

Surfing lessons - right at the Kiahuna beach!
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 03:15 AM

I have stayed at the Sheraton Poipu Beach. If a good beach is #1 priority, you will be thrilled with this choice. Hotel is very ho-hum, but beach is magnificent.
I've also stayed at the Grand Wailea. Too bad about the activity pool being closed; I particularly like the lazy river. It's another good beach, though, and the hotel is lovely. Happy travels.