Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Economical Shuttle from Denver to Vail? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/economical-shuttle-from-denver-to-vail-257890/)

Kristin Sep 14th, 2002 10:37 AM

Economical Shuttle from Denver to Vail?

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get from the Denver airport to Vail for less than $124 per person, round trip??? There will be 6 of us with luggage and ski gear---thought about maybe renting a large SUV but that looks pretty pricey too. Can any of you experienced travelers help??? Thanks!

hellow Sep 14th, 2002 01:23 PM

you might try a limo service if your budget is 124 pp for 6 people. Could even save you $. One that advertizes mtn resorts is A Unlimited Limo Svc. 720-936-9613 or another with a web site is www.aeveningstarlimo.com , these both advertise mtn. trips. I know there are other shuttle services and if I can find them I will respond.

Kristin Sep 14th, 2002 02:37 PM

Thanks much, hellow----our goal is to pay less than $124pp RT. The shuttle service advertised on the Vail website advertised these fares (& they were from LAST season). I'll try the limo services you mentioned and compare. Will also check back for those websites. Thanks again.

Grasshopper Sep 14th, 2002 02:41 PM

$124 pp... wow. I pay $104 rt for Keystone. I think you're problem with the limo is going to be the ski gear. I've never seen a limo with ski racks. (plus you will want to give the driver a tip) I'm guessing a large SUV will be your best bet.

Caroline Sep 14th, 2002 03:57 PM

This may not be an option, but if possible, I'd suggest flying to Eagle-Vail instead of Denver. It's so much closer. Just a thought.

Kristin Sep 14th, 2002 08:12 PM

Grasshopper---I wondered about a ski rack too---altho I never thought about the tip!! yikes. Caroline--we tried Eagle/Vail but unfortunately they were sold out for the dates we have to travel. Thanks for your responses. I'll keep looking for a cheap shuttle service. I might try Priceline for an SUV rental, but I'm guessing I'm not gonna have too much luck since we're traveling over spring break. <BR>

weedhop Sep 15th, 2002 05:52 AM

How about a hot air ballon? Just kidding!

coskier Sep 16th, 2002 06:52 AM

Kristin there are some coupons on http://www.skicoupons.com/coupons.cf...5&csubcat_id=0

hellow Sep 16th, 2002 07:02 AM

I live in the foothills outside of Denver. We also ski quite a bit. There are limos with ski racks going up and down the mountains all season long. We have rented limos on special occasions a couple of times and I remember them being around $100 an hour. Vail being 3 hours outside Denver seems pretty economical (and fun)to me. Prices may have changed and of course you have to consider tip.

Donelle Sep 16th, 2002 09:03 AM

Negotiate for $300 each way and give the driver a $75.00 tip. With your 6 people....there you have it!!!! Sounds reasonable to me!!

plummie Sep 16th, 2002 10:21 AM

Why not split up - 2 intermediate cars should be quite a bit cheaper than one SUV or mini-van. We generally pay less than $200 with taxes, fees, etc. for a one week intermediate rental.

Kristin Sep 17th, 2002 07:26 PM

Great ideas!!! I'm listening and taking notes!!! Thanks.

PeaceOut Nov 15th, 2010 09:32 AM

I did a quick look at Denver airport site, and found some info:

DAILY SHUTTLE SERVICE VAN
DENVER INT'L AIRPORT/VAIL VALLEY

*$87.00 per person one way. Rate includes surcharge, gratuity not included
*Service provided by Colorado Mountain Express
*Spacious 10 passenger maxi vans.
*Door-to-door service to most lodging locations
*Numerous daily departures

CHARTERED VAN

*$440.00 per vehicle one way. Rate includes surcharge, includes gratuity
*Service provided by Colorado Mountain Express
*Private chauffeured travel, maximum 10 guests.
*Spacious 10 Pax vans
*Special rates of $559 may apply during mid-week travel, discount will be reflected in Itinerary screen

PREMIER SUBURBAN

*$483.00 per vehicle one way. Rate includes surcharge, includes gratuity
*Service provided by CME Premier
*Private chauffeured travel, maximum 5 guests.
*Complimentary movies onboard
*Complimentary bottled water

PREMIER EXECUTIVE VAN

*$667.00 per vehicle one way. Rate includes $25.00 surcharge, includes gratuity
*Service provided by CME Premier
*Private chauffeured travel, maximum 8 guests.
*Complimentary movies onboard
*Complimentary bottled water

*Above prices are estimates based on rack rate fares and first date of travel. Exact pricing is subject to change and may vary from the estimates presented on this page. Exact pricing including any discounts will be confirmed during reservation booking process once availability is confirmed.
BOOK A RESERVATION!

Phone: (800) 525 6363 or (970) 926 9800

It ain't cheap, and it's more than $124/per RT. Do you have free parking in Vail? If so, renting vehicles might be more economical. Unless you don't want to deal with the driving yourself, which is certainly a consideration in snow season.

PeaceOut Nov 15th, 2010 09:39 AM

This is the only other carrier the DIA website lists for transportation to Vail:

http://www.coloradotour.com/FromDIA/...8/Default.aspx

Gretchen Nov 15th, 2010 10:18 AM

We only took a shuttle one time--and it was SO long ago it was $25/person.
For 6 you might be able to do it in a mini-van--I think we did one time, but there may have been small ones in that number.
When is this happening? If it is close, then car rentals are going to be expensive. If you have a few months you may be able to get a good deal. bid on Priceline.

Gretchen Nov 15th, 2010 10:26 AM

There seems to be quite a number of possibilities.
Even though you may not need a car in vail because of their bus system, it isn't bad to have one to shop at the bigger supermarkets--or at least that used to be the case.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=...aa3dace3391796

SteveDee Nov 15th, 2010 03:30 PM

Door to Door Shuttle Services:
www.cmex.com - Denver Airport-Vail Shuttle
www.blackdiamondscars.com - DIA to Vail Transportation

Denver-Vail Charter Bus Service to Vail Transportation Center:
www.greyhound.com

fmpden Nov 15th, 2010 07:51 PM

EVERYBODY -- PeaceOut -- this is an eight year old posting !!!! How do you even find an eight year old posting to respond to?

Gretchen Nov 16th, 2010 03:56 AM

You know, when you said that earlier I looked, and I could SWEAR it said "10" on the first post--honest. Interesting.

PeaceOut Nov 16th, 2010 08:28 AM

As I said on another post where I was chastised by fmpden for posting on an old thread: current info might help travelers today.

I did not notice the OP date, I had just pulled up Colorado posts and this one was there. Big deal. Find another tree to bark up, willya? (Like maybe recommending the awful Lime restaurants. Blech.)