Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Eating with Kids in St. Louis (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/eating-with-kids-in-st-louis-339664/)

grifflw Jul 22nd, 2003 06:14 AM

Eating with Kids in St. Louis

Hi! I've read some great postings about St. Louis and Restuarants. Quite a variety. My two boys are 6 and 11. We will be in St. Louis next week. I'm looking for suggestions of places they might enjoy. The whole family loves Italian, so I'd like some suggestions on Italian restuarants. Although they would not be able to appreciate fine dining ambience and extensive wine lists, my boys are well behaved and don't have to be limited to fast food places. My 11 year old is particularly interested in the toasted ravioli. What are your favorites? How about for pizza, sandwiches, and burgers? I guess it's Kansas City that's known for BBQ, isn't it? Are there any neat places to eat that we really shouldn't miss? Thanks!

dweebe Jul 22nd, 2003 06:33 AM

While it's a chain and not native to St. Louis, it always seems like people take their out-of-town families to the Old Spaghetti Factory. But if you want to try local Italian I would recommend Charlie Gittos downtown. (His restaurant on The Hill is more fine dining: I think jacket and tie required for men.) On The Hill, Zias is always a good time.

Pizza: there are tons of Imos Pizza places all over town. It's the true St. Louis style. Another choice is Fortels Pizza: not true St. Louis style but very good.

Sandwiches: Mom's Deli on Jamison in St. Louis Hills is great.(yes, a different neighborhood than The Hill) After a sandwich there you can make the short drive to Ted Drewes Frozen Custard.

Burgers: hard to say. Most of the places I would recommend are pubs.

sofun1 Jul 23rd, 2003 08:16 PM

Ok, so you mention food and I must respond! (self proclaimed foodie) for locations, check dinestlouis.com

Pizza: Fortels is my personal favorite, but I had it at a new franchised location in Bridgeton recently and was quite disappointed (aka, it might be best at the original location in Afton?) Talayna's pizza is good too. Yes, Imo's is an institution in STL, but it might disappoint some with the ketchupy tasting sauce. I also enjoy Sybergs pizza (down the street from Fortel's, they serve shark bites). And if you happen to be going to Grant's Farm on Gravois Road you will pass a sign that says fried Brain Sandwiches, it's true (my mother used to serve them to us kids and I never knew what it was for YEARS, but actually liked them.)

Sandwiches: Amighetti's has the best! (Downtown, on Olive). Oh, and I love Steak and Shake (fast-food grilled steakburgers). McGurk's Irish Pub (Soulard/Downtown) for atmosphere and eats. O'Connells Pub has best burgers

Italian Del Pietro's (by Forest Park), Charlie Gitto's (downtown), Candicci's (Clayton), Kemoll's, Pasta House (a STL chain, but safe bet and lots of locations.) Last time I had a meal at Zia's both me and my husband were disappointed...

Yummy: Big Sky Cafe (not to miss in Webster Groves), blue water grill, Fitz's (local soda/rootbeer and food), Crown Candy Kitchen (downtown), St. Louis Bread Company (bakery, great coffee/cappuchino's, lunch menue),
Steak: Kreis' (on Lindberg off Hwy. 40, best prime rib! great splurge restaurant) I might also mention Broadway Oyster Bar (downtown, especially on a Thurs or Fri, live blues singers at night!) kids will be fine. Soulard has some great live music too.

Wine: Try some of the local wines from Stone Hill winery. The Steinberg or Seyval win national awards each year. Think German white wines.

I could go on and on, but it all depends on you location and around where you'll be. It's a spread-out town!

Local favorites: toasted ravioli (appetiser, you can't eat just one!), gooey butter cake (a must!), crab rangoon (appetizer), Stonehill or Mount Pleasant wines, potato skins (I keep coming up with appetisers!), Ted Drew's frozen custard, Slider's (don't ask!)

Also, you might try one of the local outdoor restaurants like Lewis & Clarks (St. Charles), Big Sky Cafe, McGurks, or Bar Italia

abmay Jul 24th, 2003 04:43 AM

Alot depends on where you will be in the city. If you are downtown do not miss Crown Candy, about five minutes from downtown and in a bad neighborhood but safe to go to, police, politicians, businessmen and families frequent crown candy. great great sandwiches and homemade ice cream, not to be missed.'
my kids also love cheesecake factory at the gallerie Mall (midtown) and P.F. changs in chesterfield. Both chains but if you do not have where you live definitely worth going to.

cablerep Aug 2nd, 2003 12:54 AM

I hope this isn't too late: Happy Joe's at Watson and Laclede Station is an old-time style pizza and ice cream parlor. It is rather small, but has all the obligatory annoyances like a loud fire truck siren that lights up for birthdays, video games, jukebox, etc. that kids love. Don't let that put you off though, because the pizza is good, the beer is cold, and it is a much quainter alternative to the Chuck-e-Cheese chain.