Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Eating our way through New Orleans, a brief trip report (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/eating-our-way-through-new-orleans-a-brief-trip-report-791671/)

owlwoman Jun 23rd, 2009 06:24 AM

Eating our way through New Orleans, a brief trip report

DH and I headed to hot NO last week. We stayed in the warehouse district, which was nice and quiet compared to the French Quarter.

First day we headed over to the D-Day museum, fantastic, if you have any interest in history and WWII, it's a don't miss.

That night had dinner at Restaurant August, fabulous. I had the cheese angoletti w/corn and DH has the salad with beets, quail eggs, walnuts, both fabulous. For an entree, I had the duck with peach and fois gras, DH had the appetizer portion of the gnocchi. Duck was excellent (especially the fois gras) gnocchi were a bit gummy. Had the peach cobbler w/blueberry ice cream for dessert, really yummy. When maitre d' asked about our dinners and DH mentioned the gumminess of the gnocchi and was not that happy with them (very nicely), was offered another entree, which he declined. check came, no charge for gnocchi or dessert, real class act place, which are far and few these days!

We also had two dinners at Couchon, place is fabulous. We like the more casual, small plate setting. First time we had a res and sat at a table. Liked it so much, we decided to go back Sat. night without a res (knew we wouldn't get a table), and were lucky enough to get two seats at the bar (we like to eat there a lot). First night we had the chacuterie platter and artichoke/crab plate, then corn cake w/roasted tomatoes and the pork cheeks w/beets, sides of mac /cheese and lima beans, all was excellent. Loved those pork cheeks! Next time we had a salad and a special of red snapper w/potatoe/shortrib hash and side of lima beans. DH had the rabbit and dumpling. Another four star meal. Highly recommend. Love the fun, hip atmosphere too!

While my DH was working, a friend and I took the street car up to Commanders Palace for lunch. Tough day. Again, another wonderful meal. The prix fixe at $29 is a bargain, loved all the "ladies who lunch" atmosphere. We were seated in the garden room. Friend had the short ribs, which were wonderful, I had the shrimp special and we shared the bread pudding souffle, which we both fell in love with! Bread pudding lite! We also walked around the garden district and admired the mansions, but after 15 minutes in the 95 degree heat, we headed back to the street car and our respective hotels.

We also took a trip over to Algiers and had lunch at the Dry Dock Cafe. Great neighborhood place, their bar-b-que shrimp were excellent (and reasonable), shared an oyster po-boy, also great. We had first walked to the Glass blowing shop from the ferry (in the 95+ heat) which was interesting. The furnace was broken, so no show, so we were shown a video and then graciously given a ride back to the ferry dock (much, much appreciated).

Our last day, we did the French Market for souvenier shopping. Also had my dozen oysters at Acme that afternoon, tradition, along with coffee and beignets at Cafe du Monde in the AM, also tradition.

Stayed away from Bourbon Street (except to meet my friend who was staying in that area), was very happy being away from the madness, expecially with the heat wave going on.

All in all, a great trip to NO.

dfr4848 Jun 23rd, 2009 06:42 AM

Great update. Just hard to have a bad meal in NO, isn't it? Good to hear about Commander's. Has always been one of our favorite places, although have heard a few reports lately that it can sometimes be less than usual standard. Keep telling ourselves we need to try August, so glad you liked it so much.

bkluvsNola Jun 23rd, 2009 08:17 AM

Great trip report. Glad you enjoyed your trip. I know about the heat wave there, it's supposed to get to 100 today and tomorrow in New Orleans. I guess that's what hurricanes and other cocktails are for, huh?

owlwoman Jun 23rd, 2009 08:31 AM

Yes, we found ourselves quite often in a bar tossing back a few cold ones, no hurricanes though, too sweet for me!

SAnParis2 Jun 23rd, 2009 08:42 AM

...& now I see it...Thx

SAnParis2 Jun 23rd, 2009 08:44 AM

Much else to do in Algiers ? I have always steered clear due to negative pub, but will be back in Nola come August.