Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Eating in San Diego & Anza Borrego (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/eating-in-san-diego-and-anza-borrego-206695/)

brtraveller Nov 12th, 2001 09:24 AM

Eating in San Diego & Anza Borrego

I leave for a few days in San Diego and Anza Borrego. Any most do restaurants and sights. Thanks. <BR><BR>PS I leave this week.

xxx Nov 12th, 2001 11:03 AM

What type of price ranges and food styles are you looking for?<BR><BR>Other than hiking, there's not much to do in Anza Borrego. Pretty small and boring town. Not sure how much choice you'll have in terms of restaurant choices. Ram's Hill is a nice golf community and has an excellent chef at their restaurant. But I think it's a private club.

brtraveller Nov 12th, 2001 12:13 PM

We're willing to spurge on a few good meals so price isnt really a big criteria. We're from Louisiana and just like to eat good food of all types, seafood, ethic, pacific rim, california you name it. we may cook out one night in the desert, so if not much there what about San Diego?

j Nov 12th, 2001 04:37 PM

<BR>Hi! there is the Gaslamp area, where you will have your pick of many fine restaurants, clubs. Do you plan to actually stay in San Diego? I have mentioned here before the play Triple Espresso at the Horton Grand Theater that is hilarious. Enjoy j

brtraveller Nov 12th, 2001 04:43 PM

Thanks for the tip re: the play, we'll have to lookinto it. As for your question, yes, we'll have 4 nights in San Diego and 2 nights in Borrego Springs. Any other special things?<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Bonnie Nov 12th, 2001 04:55 PM

Last year we discovered a place called La Casa del Zorro and it has a wonderful restaurant. I think it was in Borrego Springs. It has a website.

Louis Nov 12th, 2001 09:28 PM

In Borrego, we like the Coyote Cafe at the Palms at Indian Head for good food and value. The most expensive place is at the La Casa Del Zorro Resort Hotel. Visit the Park visitors center by all means and if the weather is nice take a hike up Palm Canyon. For Breakfast Kendalls in the Mall is good and the Cross Winds Resaurant at the airport is ok for dinner -- nothing great. Borrego is a wonderful desert valley that has not been totally ruined by civilization. If you are a nature lover take some food out and eat in the park.

Louis Nov 12th, 2001 09:37 PM

I missed one of your second posts that said they you might like to cook out in the desert. We are Borrego people in June so we are not certain the evening weather this time of the year. However, one of our pleasures was stopping at the grocery store, buying a steak, bread, tomatoes and lettuce. You need you own charcoal and starter as they will not let you use the dry wood in the park. They have lots of places that you can prepare your own dinner or even lunch. If the weather is cool, you can hike up to Palm Caynon and then prepare lunch with a few beers. Martinis and wine go well with dinner. Watching the light change in the desert is one of the thrills of being there at sunset.