Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Eating in Palm Springs (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/eating-in-palm-springs-477973/)

crissy Oct 2nd, 2004 07:23 AM

Eating in Palm Springs

My husband and I are on our way to Palm
Springs, CA. Any ideas on some great places
to eat. We have never been there. Thanks
for any assistance you can give us.

Heavens Oct 2nd, 2004 08:09 AM

We don't usually stay or dine in Palm Springs, we stay in Palm Desert, which is about 15 minutes east of PS. There are many places in Palm Desert to eat. What kind of places are you looking for? Good chains? They have Flemings and PF Changs at the River, and a Roys across the street. At El Paseo they have a Tommy Bahamas, Sammys Woodfired Pizza, and Pacific in the Desert (seafood from San Diego) and Sullivans. They also have Mortons in PD, Ruth Chris, Daily Grill, and some lovely local restaurants.

In Palm Springs the only place that I have heard of is Riccio's, an Italian restaurant that is very upscale I believe.

Suzie Oct 2nd, 2004 04:29 PM

We had a wonderful dinner at Riccios. The most attentive service and fabulous food. Would love to go back!

St. James at the Vineyard is very nice.

Le St. Germain in Indian Wells is fantastic.

cher_cher Oct 2nd, 2004 05:14 PM

I haven't been there since last winter, but Johannes was quite wonderful. Very creative, something like German-Asian fusion! Johannes is the owner/chef. http://www.johannesrestaurant.com/

PSLocal Oct 3rd, 2004 01:10 PM

Palm Springs

Johannes, Riccio's, John Henry's

Rancho Mirage

Massimo, Shame on the Moon

Palm Desert

Mamma Gina's, Augusta, Cuistot, Jillian's

Indian Wells

Scirocco

La Quinta

Azur, Omri & Boni, Desert Sage, Andrew's

As a matter of local interest, a Hog's Breath restaurant opened at Old Town. For the unfamiliar, this is a sister to Clint Eastwood's restaurant in Carmel. He has a partnership interest in this one as well. The food is decent, not stellar, but lots of Clint memorabilia and art all over the place. Good spot for a drink.

Have fun.

PSL

mlg968 Oct 3rd, 2004 01:25 PM

I've heard nothing but raves about Sherman's Deli & Bakery in written reviews and from people I know. I'm going to try it next month when I'm down there. If you're interested in something quick and casual (breakfast or lunch) try Sherman's. Here's the info: 401 E Tahquitz Canyon Way,
Palm Springs, California (760) 325-1199

Heavens Oct 3rd, 2004 02:57 PM

Well, for those of you who LOVE Riccios, there is a small sister restaurant in the Target, or Desert Crossing Shopping Center in Palm Desert called La Bella Cucina Trattoria. It is my favorite place for lunch when I go shopping in PD. It is a casual place, with awesome food. Their eggplant parmesan is the best. It is very reasonable. They also have take out and catering. I mean, this food is authentic. The family spends a few months a year in Italy, so they know the real deal.

I am not plugging it for gain, but just to pass on this little gem. It is truly wonderful food for such a great price, and the nicest people.

It is 72-355 Highway 111. I know this b/c I fished in my files and found the menu. So, manga...You will thank me.

Binthair Oct 3rd, 2004 03:00 PM

In Palm Springs proper try Blue Coyote Grill for excellent Mexican food. While we usally don't stay in the city of Palm Springs, we find it a good place to go for dinner.

Suzie Oct 3rd, 2004 03:31 PM

I have a different opinion about the Blue Coyote Grill. Our experience was awful. Awful food, bad margaritas (who knew that could happen) Service was ok but what were they serving?

PSLocal Oct 3rd, 2004 06:41 PM

In my opinion Blue Coyote has slipped a lot from what it used to be.

Bella Cuccina is a good recommendation. Hopefully this will not change as a result of a family tragedy. Unfortunately one of the Riccio sons involved in the business passed away unexpectedly a few months ago.

wantagig Oct 8th, 2004 07:13 AM

What I don't like about Sherman's is that their turkey isn't roasted in their ovens but instead "rolled turkey". For good family style wholesome food try Rick's on Palm Canyon Drive in North Palm Springs.

For unbelievable vegan food, try "Native Foods". They have a location in Palm Desert and one in Palm Springs. The recipies are so creative and tasty. We go there a couple times a week.