Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Eating in NYC on the cheap.. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/eating-in-nyc-on-the-cheap-142183/)

Rod Jan 6th, 2003 01:35 AM

Eating in NYC on the cheap..

Hi,<BR><BR>Going to NYC for the first time (from the UK) on a limited budget, will be staying midtown.<BR><BR>Would be grateful for best areas for authentic NYC eateries/best value<BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>Rod

Just Jan 6th, 2003 05:52 AM

Topping this for Rod . <BR>There might be a Cheap Eats in NYC book. <BR>Look online at Barnes and Noble .com and see if you can find one.<BR>NYC has thousands of restaurants and diners!!

Merilee Jan 6th, 2003 06:28 AM

Rod, 9th Avenue from about West 42nd Street to West 50th Street has many inexpensive (but very good) ethnic restaurants to choose from.

joebob Jan 6th, 2003 06:30 AM

NY is outstanding for eating very cheap. several hundred ethnic restaurants all cheap all good. check out new yorker magazine, it reviews alot of restaurants including cheap ones. ask around when you get here you'll find no shortage of great food.

Sarah Jan 6th, 2003 06:36 AM

Just this week Rod New York City magazine just put out an issue on where to eat in NYC. There are all different categories but I am sure they included cheap eats.<BR><BR>Two favorites of mine are <BR><BR>&quot;Spice&quot; serving in several locations. They are an American vesion of Thai very affordable, $11. last night was enough for Volcano Chicken YUM a marinated and flaming chicken set a top of steamed veggies, portions are large HUGE by British standards and tasty. I have never taken anyone here that did not love it. Get a zagats for locations and other ideas.<BR><BR><BR>I also like Saigon Grill on 88 and second a small hike from the met. We are better known for our European food here in NYC but I have to say much of our Asian food is a step up of what is available to you in Britain.<BR><BR>ENJOY.

Sarah Jan 6th, 2003 06:41 AM

see you wanted mid-town. INHO and I have lived here for 20 years the best and most interesting restaurants are down town and up town in residential communities. Don't let a subway or $5 dollar cab ride deter you from experiencing them. I rarely eat mid-town. There are certainly spots there but pricier than what I see up/down town (upper east side/upperwest side/ east/west village, chinatown.

Seamus Jan 6th, 2003 07:37 AM

Rod, eating on the cheap in NYC is a breeze. Here's some ways to stretch your food funds:<BR>1. Have breakfast in your room if not provided by the hotel. Even if no fridge is in the room, you can purchase muffins, bagels, etc the evening before and grab coffee or tea nearby. If not provided by the hotel, consider buying or bringing a cheap coffee/tea maker for your room.<BR>2. There are loads of corner markets that have self-service take-away with everything from fresh fruit to prepared entrees and veggies that you can use for a dinner in your room or a nice picnic (weather permitting). Also, don't forget the great food carts - the hot dogs, falafel et al are luscious!<BR>3. Do indulge yourself at least a few times. Some places to do that without busting the budget:<BR>Cibo (pronounced Chee-bo)at 767 2d Ave (41st St and 2d Ave) - great prix fixe dinner for under $30 in a very nice white tablecloth atmosphere with excellent service; online at www.cibonyc.com<BR>Hourglass Tavern at 373 W 46th in the theatre district - incredibly low prix fixe prices (some under US$15!) in a funky cool environment. The place is mentioned in John Grisham's novel &quot;The Firm&quot;. The gimmick is that each table has an hourglass hung on the wall, when the sand runs out you are supposed to be through and clear the way for the next set of diners. This is in line with folks who are in a pre-theatre rush, but no one is ever really thrown out of the place! <BR>Restaurant Florent - 69 Gansevoort St (btwn Greenwich amd Washington, 2 blocks south of 14th St) online at www.restaurantflorent.com serves some of the best mussels I've ever eaten.<BR>La Nacional, 239 West 14th Street (off 7th Avenue) is often recommended for great Spanish food such as tapas and paella; haven't been there myself yet. <BR>I find Little Italy overrated, with prices inflated and food no better than elsewhere in town. Do check out the Italian pastries there, however!<BR>You might also check out what locals recommend at www.chowhound.com<BR>And don't limit yourself to midtown; get a metro pass ($4 for all day or a multi-day pass) and explore!

xxx Jan 6th, 2003 07:52 AM

Greenwich Village has a ton of small reasonably priced treasures.

x Jan 6th, 2003 07:55 AM

ROD DON&quot;T MISS YOUR CHANCE AT FRESHLY MADE BAGLES BY BUYING THE NIGHT BEFORE.

angie Jan 6th, 2003 08:01 AM

We always eat &quot;cheap&quot; when traveling. My teens and I just came back from NYC, it was our 3rd trip this year. We always find inexpensive options. One you might want to try is Little Italy for lunch. If you walk down Mulberry St. at lunch most of the restaurants have their lunch menus posted and we saw many for $7.50 which included a choice of entree, salad and bread. We enjoyed a nice italian lunch there that day.

Nikki Jan 6th, 2003 02:38 PM

For advice on New York restaurants, try www.chowhound.com. There are folks in New York who eat out every night of the week and come home to talk about it on line.

jaye Jan 6th, 2003 04:08 PM

My sister and I enjoyed our dinner at Island Burgers and Shakes I believe on 9th between W.51st and 52nd. Nice staff, great selection and under $11. Had a great Saturday breakfast at VNYL in the same vicinity. Wonderful food for lunch in lower Manhattan at Zigalini's, 66 Pearl St.

Chuck Jan 6th, 2003 04:13 PM

Check out Chinatown - wonderful little places - reasonable. Also, go to chowhound.com. Scroll down and hit CHOWHOUND. Then scroll down to the map of the USA and you'll get all the help you need from NYC Hounds!

suzanne Jan 6th, 2003 05:36 PM

For great pub food (plus a fun pub to boot) go to Walker's in Tribeca...it's on Varick Street at No. Moore and has a subway stop (the 1/9 Franklin Street stop) right outside the door. Also nearby, South's on Church Street near White Street has some good pub food. If you like an excellent burger, go to Old Town Bar on 18th east of Broadway.<BR><BR>And of course, the cheapest authenic NYC food is...pizza! You can't go wrong for about $1.50-$2 a slice. Go to a &quot;mom &amp; pop&quot; pizza place (not a flashy chain like Sbarro's) to get the best NY-style pizza.

deedee Jan 7th, 2003 09:46 PM

Ray's Pizza, Zabar's, Chinatown foodcarts, deli across from Hilton just off of Avenue of the America's (it's where the employee's eat).

Postal Jan 8th, 2003 04:43 AM

When visiting NYC, we eat at least one meal a day at our favorite midtown west deli, Cranberry Gourmet on West 45th Street between Sixth (also known as Avenue of the Americas)and Seventh Aves.

MJ Jan 8th, 2003 05:43 AM

Try John's Pizza on 42nd I think? I know it was right next to the where the Producers in playing. My sister and I had a great pizza and salads for less than $25 together. In Greenwhich we had Burrittoville, it was fast, good and filling about $7 each.

Philip Jan 8th, 2003 06:20 AM

For really cheap eats, go to any of the Dallas BBQ restaurants. You can get a chicken dinner for $6-8. It's a good meal at a cheap price(by NYC prices).<BR><BR>In midtown, there is one at 132 West 43<BR><BR>There are several more throughout the city.

x Jan 8th, 2003 06:24 AM

Rod I think you are going to find our prices very cheap when comparing with British prices

Rod Jan 9th, 2003 07:44 AM

Thanks for all the posts - I have to say I am looking forward to visiting the delis! oh, and everything else ;-)