Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   eating in Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/eating-in-maui-632219/)

blancalita Jul 19th, 2006 10:05 AM

eating in Maui

I will be spending 10 days in maui with my two teenage sons, 5 in Hana and 5 on the kanapali shore. We will be mostly cooking but I'd love the names of reasonably priced restaurants to try.

seattlesue Jul 19th, 2006 11:30 AM

Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina, and the Hula Grill at Whaler's Village in Kaanapali are our favorites.

HarryR Jul 19th, 2006 01:24 PM

In Lahaina check out-

http://www.mooserestaurantgroup.com/moose_mc/branch2/

It is relatively close to kanapali.

trippinkpj Jul 19th, 2006 01:49 PM

In Lahaina, I like the Sunrise Cafe just off Front Street. Also, the Pioneer Inn has a nice indoor/ outdoor restaurant that's nice. I'm also a fan of MooseMcG in the previous post. :-)

trippinkpj Jul 19th, 2006 01:50 PM

Oh Maui Taco's in Lahaina, would be a hit with the teens and reasonable too.

trippinkpj Jul 19th, 2006 01:53 PM

Here's their website with locations:
http://www.mauitacos.com/hawaii.html
Lahaina would be the closet to Kaanapali.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with dining in Hana.

OldSouthernBelle Jul 19th, 2006 01:55 PM

From what I understand there's not alot of choice in Hana.

iamq Jul 19th, 2006 02:06 PM

In Hana, Tutu's down on the bay is a good place to grab breakfast or lunch.
-Bill

golpher Jul 19th, 2006 03:26 PM

Take the kids to Bubba Gumps in Lahaina. OK food, great location on the water. Another the kids would like in Lahaina is Cheeseburger in Paradise, again right on the water. Have fun!

enjoylife Jul 19th, 2006 04:12 PM

Pa'ia Fish Market for Ono Burgers. YUM!

blancalita Aug 27th, 2006 06:56 PM

Having just got back from Maui, I wanted to thank all of you for your suggestions.We loved the Fish House(Paia), Tutu's (hana) and Maui Taco's in Lahaina. We had a fabulous meal at Fish Market on Front Street(in Lahaina) and a wonderful lunch at a Vietnamese place called Saigon Seafood(Lahaina). we also found a great place to buy seafood (for cooking at the condo) called the Fish Market in Honokowai(about 5 miles north of Kaanapali). They had a great selection of locally caught fist as well as homemade salads, including a delicious pineapple salsa.

trippinkpj Aug 27th, 2006 08:13 PM

The Sunrise Cafe is a good place for Bfast or Lunch. It's just off Front street on a side street. A nice and quiet back patio.

DawnCt Aug 28th, 2006 02:11 PM

I think I will be out of step with a couple of opinions here. If I could design a tee shirt that said, "I SURVIVED TUTU'S", I think I would make a killing. We waited an hour for 5 burgers, 2 hotdogs and 7 fries. The first 25 minutes was spent in line, the next 35 minutes, waiting for the order for what was overpriced, greasy food of questionable quality. That alone would make me rethink 5 nights in Hana. I would opt for one and then continue around Haleakala. As for the Hula Grill, we were very disappointed. Leilani's is far better. I know that Mahimahi is the more "fishy" tasting of the Hawaiian fish, but everyone at the table shouldn't smell it. A strong fishy smell is usually an indication that the fish isn't fresh. All menu items tend to be a couple of dollars more than Laelani's and their fish is wonderful. They serve ono which to me is the best choice of island fish. We did like Aloha Mixed Plate. Good location, good prices. Maui Tacos are wonderful. We did a couple of take out meals from there. For some reason some of our sons like Moose McGillicuddy's. The food is passable, the prices are good. My husband and I had planned to go to Mama's Fish House but didn't feel like driving to Pa'ia. We opted for Roy's in Kahana instead. Our meal was supurb. It would be hard to imagine that Mama's could have done much better. Maybe next time we will make it to Mama's to compare.

DawnCt Aug 28th, 2006 02:14 PM

Oops, almost forgot to post one of our favorites. We had lunch there on the day of our departure. A Saigon Cafe in Wailuku. Its a little hard to find but definately worth the search. The waitstaff is pleasant, helpful, funny and efficient.

Lex1 Aug 28th, 2006 11:15 PM

Mama's has a much better view than Roy's, though I would not describe either as "reasonably priced." Leilani's and Hula Grill, more reasonably priced, are part of the same well-above average restaurant chain, tsrestaurants.net. Hana is sensational: quiet, old time Hawaii, at least after dark. There's lots to do and see, though the nightlife is sparse.

erdockac Aug 29th, 2006 11:15 AM

Hi:

We thought that Tutu's was awful! The next time we do the Road to Hana I will definetely pack a cooler for lunch.

I've only been to Maui once and we rented a house in Wailea. We only went to Kanapali for a sunset cruise (out of the Hyatt, Kiele 5 - great) and to golf at Kapalua, so I'm no expert. We really enjoyed Sansei in Kapalua for sushi. The calamari "salad" was excellent, the sauce is really yummy.
My brother and his girlfriend enjyoed Cheeseburgers in paradise in Lahaina.

Kristen

billyb68 Aug 31st, 2006 03:56 PM

i just returned from maui..10 days, stayed over 1 nite in hana...wow...umm..that was different...noplace to eat..there is one restaurant at the maui hana and mayber one more but its supposedly been rated the worst on the island year after year..tutus wasnt open in the a/.m when we were there so we went to hasengawa general store for cereal, milk and pop tarts...ants in all of em..we made dinner in maui the nite b4 and put it in ice...thank god...