Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Eataly Market Opening in New York Next Week.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huge Italian market opening next week in Manhattan. Another must visit if you are coming to New York .

What happens when three of New York’s most beloved Italian-American restaurateurs team up with the founder of a gourmet food and wine market in Turin, Italy? The result is the grand, ambitious, sprawling Eataly, opening Tuesday in the Toy Building at 200 Fifth Ave. between 23rd and 24th streets.The complex features areas for shopping, learning and — of course — eating, as you might expect from a multimillion-dollar project dreamed up by culinary bigwigs Mario Batali, Joe Bastianich, Lidia Matticchio Bastianich and Eataly founder Oscar Farinetti.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/lifestyle/fo...#ixzz0xeZpvN68
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 07:31 AM

I was wondering if any Fodorites had written about this yet, so I did a search and saw this post got buried after just two days.

I am looking forward to checking out NY's Eataly next week. I'm hoping that a grand opening at the end of August in NY will keep the crowds away. Or maybe not!
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 10:07 AM
DRJ

I've been to the Eatily in Torino and will be in the city early October. Can't wait.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 11:51 AM

It sounds like it will be extremely expensive.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 11:52 AM

And Payard is opening a small bakery on West Houston.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 01:15 PM

The original in Turin is fantastic but I, too, suspect that the prices in NY will be just plain silly.

From my trip report:

<From our hotel on via Carlo Alberto, we had a choice of taking the bus or a taxi to Eataly. The bus to Lingotto, where Eataly is located, departs from the train station, about a 15 minute walk south from our hotel. Due to the inclement weather—it rained off and on throughout the day—we opted for a taxi.

Twenty minutes later and about 10 euro less rich, we arrived in the area known as Lingotto, home to Matte Truco’s 1916 Fiat plant known as the “Temple of Modernity” in its time and converted by Renzo Piano into a complex containing the Agnelli art museum, cinemas, a convention center, etc. Across the street, another gorgeously reconfigured early 20th-Century industrial building, the former Carpano vermouth factory, now houses another type of temple: EATALY.

http://www.eatalytorino.it/eatalytor...come_eng.lasso

I am not exaggerating when I call this place a temple. Without launching into gushy descriptions of the products, let me say that this place is an absolute must for anyone with an interest in Italian food. At times I almost felt as if I were hallucinating, so vast and colorful, and so beautifully arranged were the displays of every type of food from every region of the country. Used to a shelf of pasta back in your homeland? Here there is an entire section, aisle after aisle of dried pasta in every conceivable incarnation, not to mention the cases containing fresh pastas. I live in New York and I am lucky if I get to glimpse more than 2 or 3 mostardas (mostardi?) in my local Italian store. Here: floor to ceiling shelves stocked with the most mesmerizing selection: Mostarda from Cremona, mostarda from Alba, Mostarda Bolognese, Mostarda Mantovana… What seemed like acres of chocolates and candies. Row after row of fresh produce, of breads, of pastries and preserves. Shelf after shelf of jarred pesto made with basil, made with arugula. Floor to ceiling of vegetables sott' olio. An extravaganza of pickled vegetables. Dried peppers. Dried herbs. Fresh herbs. Diary products in every conceivable incarnation. Counter after counter of meats. Canned and bottled tuna. Anchovies. Colatura. Sardines.

There are also counters dedicated to fish, to salumi, to pizza, to pasta-- where you can grab a seat and devour the day's special lunch dishes for about 12 euro or so.

(A branch of the celebrated restaurant, Guido, is tucked away on the lower level, which is devoted to wine and spirits, and could consume hours on its own.)

We came away with pitifully few treats to take home, due to space concerns. Mostarda, a farinata package (the chick pea flour, salt and rosemary all included in the little bag), a few bags of Carnaroli rice, a variety of black rice, dried white Piemontese beans, jam
made from the irrestistible combination of figs and cacao, a large ball of smoked provola from Campania, and a package of my new favorite fresh cheese: Crescenza from Val d’Aosta. A few things I've probably forgotten.

Major oversight: I spent a week in Piemonte and did not sample one bite of Castelmagno., a relatively rare cow’s milk cheese considered the most important of the region. Yet another reason to return!

We spent about 2 hours here, marveling at the bounty of food, wine, and spirits on two floors, and sampling some superb gelato.
The doorman then called a taxi for us and we departed, laden down with about 55 euro worth of goodies.>
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

"It sounds like it will be extremely expensive."

Than it's sure to be a success, people in Manhattan love to spend money, it makes them feel important.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 06:08 PM

Your comment is not much of a generalization, is it?
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM

Than it's sure to be a success, people in Manhattan love to spend money, it makes them feel important.

I guess I am not important.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 01:48 AM

Me, neither!

A comment like that really displays the scintillating intelligence of the commenter.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy: Guess you never heard of tongue in cheek. Seems someone woke up real early and on the wrong side of the bed. Don't take yourself sooo seriously, nobody cares.

Have a great day!
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 08:55 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Ekscrunchy and Aduchamp1..I look forward to your reviews of this NYC Eataly.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Dear HappyTrvlr:

Send money. Report to follow.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 09:47 AM

BTW

We stopped at the "market" in the church that was once the Limelight disco and there is little to recommend it. They are open concessions with no real continuity in terms of price, quality, or selection. They are all constructed like those sunglass places in malls. The had a pop art stand, some inexpensive hand made jewelry, overpriced food counters a Petrossian caviar stand, among others.

There does not seem to be one draw or one store to sustain the others. IMHO this place is doomed as constituted.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 10:02 AM

I've never even made it inside that place..thanks for confirming what I suspected.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 03:01 PM

Eataly opening tomorrow:

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2010/08...ataly.php#more
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 05:49 PM

Will probably drop by next Tuesday.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 08:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking forward to your review.
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 07:01 AM

I stopped by Eataly after work on Thurs. It was crowded enough that I didn't feel like hanging out too long but did check out the various departments.

As we might expect, there were no bargains to be had. Some prices were in line with normal NY area prices (produce dept or live lobster at $12.80/lb). Other items were more than I could pay elsewhere such as can of san marzano at $5 or Garofalo pasta at $3-4. I found it interesting they are selling Barilla imported from Italy ($2). But there was a selection of other pastas at much higher pricepoints.

All the eating places were full. The piazza was crowded with people enjoying wine and cheese and prosciutto platters. I can see that turning into a happy hour option after work. We almost stayed to try the pizza as the line did not seem too long. Then we found out after 10+ minutes on line that was just to put your name on the list and then another 45 minutes to sit. We weren't up for that so we left.

I will be back to check out more in depth, if/when the crowd thins out.
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 02:10 PM

Went there this morning. The service is a bit slow as the staff get up to speed. But the prices weren't bad at all - more than your everyday brand, but not as much as, say, Dean and DeLuca. The only thing I'd say was really expensive was the salumi counter.

When we got there early in the morning, it wasn't too crowded. But the crowds definitely built up, even in the hour or so we were there.

I enjoyed a tasty cappucino, while my daughter had a croissant. My husband had a regular coffee. Everything was good (not outstanding) and 'reasonably' priced.

We came home with some soppressata, mortadella, 'soft' bread and an assortment of pasta. Nothing too fancy. While some of the Italian pastas are more pricey than, say, Barilla, in my experience it is worth it (we'd often pick up imported pasta at the Italian grocery in the Chelsea market). The meat counter had some great-looking meat in it, but our schedule didn't permit us to buy any. The fruit/veg area was smaller than anticipated, but the stuff looked great.

Worth a stop in, but doesn't really warrant a special trip. (I'm referring to the 'groceries,' not the restaurants.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -