Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Eastwood Restaurant Monterey (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/eastwood-restaurant-monterey-341442/)

cio457 Jul 27th, 2003 04:46 AM

Eastwood Restaurant Monterey

Understand Clint has a restaurant in or near Monterey that is interesting. Anyone know then name, or can give a review? Thanks, Cio

CMills Jul 27th, 2003 05:11 AM

Hog's Breath Inn. It's been several years since I've been there. Atmosphere was casual with an outdoor patio. Food was standard, not anything memorable.

Curious Jul 27th, 2003 05:58 AM

cio457,

The Hog's Breath is in Carmel. Don't bother.

I remember a few years ago my wife wanting to go there. She had never been. We get there and she says "Is this it????" I said yup. We had a drink and left.

Curious

E Jul 27th, 2003 08:03 AM

I third that: the Hog's Breath (in Carmel)is not at all interesting. Clint stops by once in a blue moon to keep up the buzz, but your chances of seeing him are slim, and might just be better on the streets of Carmel. The menu is standard pub fare. The Clint factor consists entirely of a few movie posters and photos framed on the walls. The outdoor patio is nice at night when they light the lamps and heaters, but there are many places with a similar patio. Stop by for a beer and a sandwich only if you really love Clint and want to throw him a few bucks!

montereybob Jul 27th, 2003 11:44 AM

Well, Clint has a new restaurant now that is much better than the Hogs Breath. It is called the Mission Inn and is a block or 2 behind the Carmel Mission. It is only open for dinner and has stunning views from the patio of Point Lobos and the ocean sunsets. So make reservations for the patio for a time before dark so you can enjoy the views. The food also is excellent.
I've eaten at many restaurants in the area and this is one of my favorites.

Bob1 Jul 27th, 2003 11:51 AM

Clint sold the Hogs Breath many years ago. All the locals know that, few of the tourists.

He does own the Mission Ranch Inn located behind the Carmel Mission. The restaurant is open for lunch on the weekends. We live in the area and enjoy lunch there frequently. Great area out back on the patio overlooking the distant beach. Food good. Inside they have a piano bar and indoor dining. Casual. Nice place to go for dinner or lunch (weekends).

montereybob Jul 27th, 2003 12:05 PM

Hi Bob1,

Are you sure Mission Inn is open for lunch on weekends? I went there a couple of weekends and it was closed. I hope you are correct because it is one of my favorite places for lunch!

E Jul 27th, 2003 01:10 PM

Good to know, Bob1! I haven't lived in the area since 1997, and back then he still owned the Hog's Breath. I guess it's understandable why the new owners wouldn't publicize the change of ownership, as Clint is the only reason anyone goes there. It was always a tourist trap, and it's an even worse trap now that Clint is out of the picture--good info!