COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Eastern Carolina BBQ - best place to eat in Lexington, NC?

Old Jul 6th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Well, we've lived in Charlotte for over 2.5 years now and I think it's time we give Eastern Carolina BBQ a try. I'm from St. Louis so I admit that the sauce sounds strange to me, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I understand that Lexington is home to this type of BBQ, correct? If so, is there a preferred BBQ place in Lexington to try?

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM

http://hkentcraig.com/BBQ.html Start here & good luck...I can never remember the name of these joints.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 12:38 PM

Lexington is home to Lexington Style BBQ. If you want Eastern Style, you have to head east of Raleigh.

For Lexington Style BBQ, eat at the original Lexington BBQ- large, white building on a hill right off of Business 85.

For Eastern Style BBQ without having to drive all the way to Greenville, NC, Wilson, etc... try Prissy Polly's in Kernersville. Prissy Polly's serves both Lexington Style and Eastern Style... I also highly recommend their Banana Pudding.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies!

SA, that website is really good! Somebody is really into barbeque. It had my mouth watering. One of the places listed is in Matthews but I'm not sure where it is, or if its still here?

shormk2, thank you for steering me in the right direction. I'm new to the Carolina bbq thing and didn't realize that there was a difference between Lexington-style and eastern-style. Apparently from the website above there is also a western-style. Luckily I won't have to take a quiz!! And thank you for the suggestions! I LOVE banana pudding and it's one of my favorite things to eat around here, since it's hardly found in the midwest anymore. I'll have to figure out where Kernersville is.

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 04:25 AM

The place in Matthews (Outlaw of whatever it is called)is down between the post office & the Farmers Market around back. They do have good bbq & provide both kinds of sauces, we get carry-out there frequently.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Is it the one behind Domenico's? I'll have to give it a try!
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM

Yep, that's it. S.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 07:48 AM

Tracy,
Kernersville is between Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Prissy Polly's is really some of the best BBQ around and their banana pudding is phenomenal.

Enjoy the travels and the eating!
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 12:40 PM

Speedy's for Lexington style bbq
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 02:18 PM

I hate to be the one to even suggest this, but the BBQ at the "Cookout" fast food chain drive-in restaurants is, I think, delicious! Not the same experience, of course, as eating in Speedy's and getting those hot hush puppies at your table. But very good, all the same. Call me a freak.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Go to Lexington BBQ, on I85 business in Lexington

Clarks in Kernersville - Hwy 65 between I40 and I40 business

Tommy's in Thomasville

The Pit in Raleigh

Green River BBQ in Saluda

Allen and Son in Chapel Hill