Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Easter in San Francisco (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/easter-in-san-francisco-137142/)

Alison Jan 6th, 2002 03:19 AM

Easter in San Francisco

My husband and I are visiting San Francisco from Ireland over Easter. Being our first time we are not sure of hotels, restaurants, sites etc. Any suggestions. Where would be good for Easter Sunday Brunch?

Kate Jan 6th, 2002 04:03 PM

There are hundreds of hotels in San Francisco. I'd recommend buying a guidebook that will list a variety of prices, locations, etc. Fisherman's Wharf area has lots of hotels. Be warned that that area is VERY tacky and touristy, but it is convenient. The hotels near Union Square tend to be nicer and more expensive. Personally, if you don't like to shop, I don't see much attraction to Union Square.<BR><BR>There are also many inexpensive (by SF standards) hotels along the "Lombard Street strip." (This is NOT the same part of Lombard that is the crooked street). If you get a room in one of these hotels, be sure to ask for a room as far from the street as possible because Lombard is 6 lanes total and is a big thoroughfare. (Same thing for any hotels on Pine, Bush, Van Ness, Franklin or Gough Streets). <BR><BR>As for brunch, there are usually lots of ads in the weekly papers, the Bay-Guardian and the SF Weekly, that might give you some ideas. These papers are avaiable for free from newsboxes on most streets. I'm sure that most restaurants listed in any guidebook would have Easter Brunch as well.<BR><BR>As for things to do, I'd highly recommend going on the Alcatraz Night Tour. It's a different tour from going during the day and is much better. The crowds are much smaller, the tours are different and better, and the atmosphere is spooky but also beautiful because of wonderful night-time city views from the Island. You can find out more info about the Alcatraz tours at www.nps.gov/alcatraz or www.blueandgoldfleet.com. <BR><BR>Enjoy! The weather should be pretty good, but bring an umbrella just in case.<BR><BR>Kate

xxx Jan 6th, 2002 04:48 PM

Heads up...no Nat'l Park Service web sites are currently working. Here's the message from nps.gov/alcatraz site:<BR><BR>"Due to conditions outside our department, the National Park Service has suspended operation of ParkNet - www.nps.gov, Links To The Past - www.cr.nps.gov and NatureNet - www.nature.nps.gov until further notice. We apologize for this inconvenience and are working <BR>to restore service as soon as possible."

Carolyn Jan 8th, 2002 01:24 PM

In SF the most extravagent brunches are in the major downtown hotels. The Sheraton Palace is probably the most visually impressive for brunch. It is a beautiful garden court with a huge conservatory glass dome overhead. The downtown Hilton on Taylor Street has an open rooftop brunch, I think it is called CityScapes. If the weather permits, they open the roof. For a good view of the bay and GG Bridge you can try the top of the Mark Hopkins, Fairmont and St. Francis hotels, but check with these first, as I have never actually had a brunch at these 3 hotels. Try to get a Sunday edition of the SF Chronicle. Each week the entertainment section lists these things.

Kathy SF Jan 30th, 2002 03:35 PM

Hi - I second the brunch at the Sheraton Palace! It will probably run you about $50.00 but it's worth it. Includes champagne. All the brunches are very expensive.<BR><BR>Every Easter Day - Union St has an Easter Parade that is very cute - It usually begins at 1pm. Don't miss it especially if it's a nice day which can happen. St Vincent De Paul Catholic Church is right on Green and Divisadero - 1 street back from Union. The City Supervisors all turn out and its fun! There are lot's of restaurants on Union St that serve great breakfast!<BR>I've also spent Easter Sunday in North Beach which is nice too! <BR><BR>Be sure to stop by Macy's Union Square and see the "flower show" on the first floor in the cosmetic section. They do this 1 week before and 1 week after Easter.

Kathy Jan 30th, 2002 03:41 PM

Oh Yeah - You could also take a Hornblower Yacht brunch cruise! The food isn't really great but acceptable and if the weather is good its a blast. They cruise out under the Golden Gate Bridge and back again!