Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   east rutherford,NJ (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/east-rutherford-nj-518755/)

justjean2001 Apr 5th, 2005 12:41 PM

east rutherford,NJ

Am planning to stay at Fairfield Inn,E.Rutherfrod to see NYC. It seems others suggest to stay in NYC. The bus stops right in front of Fairfield,runs frequently to the city-only 3 stops to Port Authority with access to the subway lines, parking is free, as is breakfast. My thought was that no matter where you stay in NYC chances are you will need to spend time,money to get to other areas of the city.
Where am I thinking wrong??

jlm_mi Apr 5th, 2005 12:48 PM

I don't know how long the trip into the city is, or how expensive, but regardless even of those two things, you're missing out on two things:

1) Staying in the city. I mean being able to get out of bed in the morning, and be in the city. Walk back to your room at night, through the city. It's an experience to be in the city, not just a collection of sites.

2) Being able to go back to the room during the day, or to get ready for dinner or a show. I have to guess it's too long of a trip to head back mid-day to drop off purchases, take a quick nap or freshen up for dinner.

How much money would you actually be saving, and is it all about the money or is there another reason?

ellenem Apr 5th, 2005 01:42 PM

While E Rutherford isn't that far from NYC, there's a tunnel to consider. Every morning when I watch the local news, the traffic report invariably states that the Lincoln Tunnel has a 45-minute backup. Your bus would go from E Rutherford through this tunnel to the Port Authorty and probably take an hour or more. If you plan to come into NYC anytime between 7AM and 10AM, you will experience such delays. Then from the Port Authority, you will have to spend additional time and money to reach the places you want to visit.

Chances are your trip back to the hotel will be less stressful as you will probably return after the evening rush. But, then again, there are less buses after the evening rush.

michelleNYC Apr 5th, 2005 01:46 PM

Yikes! Trip through the Lincoln Tunnel the other day took me 90 minutes with all the traffic!!

Sunnyboy Apr 5th, 2005 02:09 PM

Add my name to the list of those who say you should stay in the city. I lived in NJ and comuted into NYC for 20+ years and never took less than 60 minutes to cross the GW bridge or go through the Lincoln Tunnel during rush hour (actually it's more like a "rush 2 hours" so figure on wasting upwards of 3 to 4 hours traveling between NJ/NYC). Traveling in/out of the city will give you more stress then you'd want on a pleasure trip. As others have said, once you get to the Port Authority terminal you will still have to spend the same amount of time and money traveling around the city as you would if you were staying at a hotel in the city. Do yourself a favor, find a place to stay in the city, you'll be glad you did.

Scarlett Apr 5th, 2005 07:17 PM

UGH! We went to a couple of good restaurants in East Rutherford but the drive is annoying! Traffic and the tunnel and there is nothing to do in East Rutherford.
You will be much better off staying in NYC.
Wrong thinking:
If you are actually in NYC, you can walk to so many places. It will never take as long as getting from NJ to wherever you want to be in town.
Every minute of this trip should be spent IN New York City, not on a highway or in a tunnel in a bus. ugh:)
Believe me, you are so much better off staying IN the city ..
Have I convinced you? :D

wantsomesun Apr 5th, 2005 08:16 PM

Try the Travel Inn on W 42nd St. The parking there is free for guests, they also have a pool, nice for the warm months and to relax during your stay.

There is even a cute little place there for a quick snack/breakfast/muffins and you are 3 long block to Times Square. Also staying there it's a bit more quiet than staying right in Times Square.

Trust us, stay in the city, it will make your trip that much better, and we'll all give you great ideas on things to do, places to eat, things to see, and where to shop.