East or West Entrance of RMNP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This site is so helpful in planning trips. I wouldn't do anything without it. Plan to go to RMNP mid-September. We are not quite sure if we want to stay on the Estes Park side or the Grand Lake side. The Estes Park side seems more touristy? Any thoughts either way. We are there mainly to see wildlife and just enjoy the beauty. Thanks!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:50 AM

Either side would be fine (you'll be outside the park either way if you're not camping), just be sure to go over Trail Ridge Road! Estes is much more touristy, but then the accommodation choice is far greater (tho there are many nice places along the river) and there are more dining options. The elk are in abundance on both sides; I think your chances of sighting a moose are greater on the west, but big horned sheep chances will be better on the east. My favorite hikes are on the east side (Bear Lake, Nymph Lake, Moraine Park, etc.), but that's personal choice. It's all good, whether you stay on the Grand Lake or Estes side.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:16 AM
TheWeasel

Mid-September the aspens will be changing and the elk should be in rut. There will be more people on the east side, although your chances of seeing elk are about the same on either side.

The east side is generally regarded as having the better scenery, and certainly the mountains/lakes are easier to reach from the east side trails. I don't think it matters a lot which side you stay on - if you have several days in the park, you'll have plenty of time to make it from side to the other.

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:24 AM

We just came back from RMNP. We stayed in Estes Park. It is very touristy but there are many more dining and lodging options. Grand Lake is cute and more laid back but much smaller. We loved the hike to Alberta Falls and Bear Lake. I can't wait to make a fall or spring trip to RMNP.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:12 PM

I agree with the other posters.
If you have the energy at that elevation, continue past Alberta Falls to the Loch.
It is higher, dramatic, and scenic.

I have a regret. I never got back to the Loch, and to higher destinations after my second visit. Now, age has caught up to me.

So if you can muster up the strength, push on. I think you will be rewarded.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:46 PM

I prefer Estes Park...for many of the reasons stated. It is a nice town, albeit touristy.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Thanks for asking this. We have a similar debate.

Am a little unclear re: the Loch comments here. Could you share more Bob regarding the hike you recommend?
Thanks!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 02:46 PM

I like Estes Park.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:23 PM

Estes Park is more "active", and mid september would be after school has started so not as touristy as in the summer. Both sides are nice....but find out WHEN they close Trail Ridge Road. (does it depend on the first snow or bad weather?..I'm not sure ) Mid Sept. is the peak of color, so either side would have a lot of fall "lookers", I guess. Accommodations would be far more abundant in Estes Park.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 04:50 PM

Usually Trail Ridge doesn't close permanently for the season until mid-October, but it's all dependent on the weather. It may close for a day or two in Mid-September if it snows, but they usually open it up again. It's all dependent on Mother Nature though!
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:31 PM

I was just in the park (try to avoid it during peak summer) last week, and was amazed at how uncrowded it was; the only elk seen were all up high, near the top of Trail Ridge. The pine bark beetle has hit the western side very hard, and one of these years there will probably be quite a fire. Anyway, I was going to suggest going in the "back" eastern entrance (just drive by the Stanley Hotel) and perhaps finding accommodations along the river; the rates go down in the fall, and there are some lovely places.