Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

East Hampton to Martha's Vineyard - how do i do it?

Aug 21st, 2005, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Honest request for help...

How do I drive from East Hampton to Martha's Vineyard? I am willing to leave my car before I get to the Vineyard if I need to. Many thanks.

Are there ferry's? From Montauk/Orient?

Any help will truly be appreciated.

Long Island, Martha's Vineyard
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:37 PM

You can take a ferry from Orient Point to New London:

http://www.longislandferry.com

From there you have several ferry choices to MV (Quonset, RI, New Bedford, MA, or Woods Hole, MA or Hyannis, MA) Only the Woods Hole option if you want to bring your car.

http://www.mvy.com/gettinghere/ferryschedules.html
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much milemarker. I heard rumblings that Montauk had a ferry, but I cannot find.... rumor??
Aug 21st, 2005, 06:34 PM

There's a ferry that rund from Montauk to Block Island, and one that runs to New London. They have a ferry that goes from Montauk to the Vineyard, but only 2 special trips a summer, so that's not really an option as the dates have both passed....here's a web site:

http://www.vikingfleet.com/vikingnew...id=41&zoneid=4

Aug 21st, 2005, 06:58 PM

It depends when you are travelling. Unless you are going on a Friday afternoon I would drive to Woods Hole, Mass and take the ferry to MV from there. I would get on the Long Island Expressway to the Clearview Expressway, over the Throg's Neck Bridge to I95 all the way to Woods Hole.

Think about it. You have to go all the way to Orient Point to get the New London ferry. This means you are driving at least 60 miles there. You also have to leave contingency of about 45 minutes. The ferry journey is about 90 minutes. It is also expensive, even with $3.00 / gallon gas. You are not saving any time by taking that ferry.

There are places to park your car in Woods Hole cheaply and take the ferry to MV. Many people who live on the Vineyard (like me soon) have a car on the island and one off the island.

Instead of doing all of this you might want to check out flying to MV. Since you don't seem to need a car on-island this could be an option.
Aug 21st, 2005, 07:52 PM

I thought she wanted was starting in East Hampton....it's not 60 miles to Orient Point from East Hampton...it's like 25 miles.
Aug 21st, 2005, 08:22 PM

Sorry Mike...I thought it was much more than 25....

Gotta go from East Hampton through Bridgehampton through Southhampton through Hampton Bays take route 24 to Riverhead and then take route 25 through Aquebogue, Peconic, Mattituck, Cutchogue, Southold, Greenpost and Orient. Riverhead to Orient is about 30. East Hampton to Riverhead?? maybe 30.
Aug 21st, 2005, 08:23 PM

Also forgot...this journey is all local streets....with low speed limits...and countless speed traps
Aug 21st, 2005, 09:00 PM

East Hampton to New London is 210 miles without taking the ferry. Assuming one get 25mpg, that's 8+ gallons of gas, or close to $30.

The ferry is $39 each way with driver. Not a bad deal. And a departure every 30-60 minutes, 1.5 hour journey. So, even if you add an hour to drive from East Hampton to Orient Point, it's still under 4 hours, about the same as the non-ferry route, considering traffic.

For that extra $9, one save the hassle of the traffic on LI and on I-95. I think it's probably worth it.

BTW, 25 miles is via Rte 114, with the two ferry crossings. But it seems like the rates will be $10 + $9, and each one runs only every 15-20 minutes. Probably not worth it...
Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:56 AM

Another thought is that you could leave your car at Orient POint, take the ferry to New London and then hop on the train (station is right at the ferry landing) to Kingston and cab it to the MV fast ferry.
Maybe someone knows what the cost of parking at Orient Point is...??
Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all for the brilliant information. Much appreciated.

Flying-- is this possible from the Hamptons?

Any more details are welcome.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:24 PM

The ferry from Montauk to Block Island doesn't take cars so you'd be without a car the whole way.

You could drive to Port Jefferson (about 1 1/2 hrs from East Hampton) and take the ferry there to Bridgeport Ct. which does take cars.

There's also a ferry from Sag Harbor to Shelter Island, then Shelter Island to Greenport on the North Fork and then from Orient to New London. This last option sounds like a lot of trouble but the ferries are quick and relatively inexpensive. This is the route people use to drive from the Hamptons to New England.

East Hampton airport is a private airport as is Westhampton. But if money is no object or there is a large group of you, it might pay to consider chartering a plane. The closest airport with commercial flights is Islip (ISP) but I doubt there are flight to the vineyard from there.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:16 PM

to rkkwan.....

I see you know Shelter Island.....a great place. Four car ferries in a day....wow that must be a record...

the south shelter island ferry to the north shelter island ferry to the orient new london ferry to the mv ferry at woods hole....add another ferry to chappaquiddick.....

my car would get rusty from all of that salt water
Aug 24th, 2005, 09:40 PM

Ahhhhhhhh, Chappy. I remember it so well. Seems as if it were only a decade ago that a well-connected drunk Irishman drove into the water and spilled his fifth martini while a truly innocent woman drowned. For shame, indeed. We've normally gone straight from Wood's Hole to the Haven/East Chop and on to Gay Head.

http://www.mvol.com/directory/transportation/Ferries/
Aug 25th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

FYI- I took the Orient Point Ferry. Worked out great. God must be watching over me because I had no reservations and no wait... the ferry was unloading and ready to board when I got there... same thing happened at Woods Hole. ?!

Thanks for the tips again. Kindest regards, Amanda