Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   East Coast Trip New York to Main (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/east-coast-trip-new-york-to-main-54967/)

Kara Oct 15th, 1999 08:56 AM

East Coast Trip New York to Main

My husband and I are taking a trip through the east coast in Late June through Early July 2000. We will be going through the berkshires, boston, Connecticut,New Hampshire, Maine and Rhode Island at various times. We really like Bed and Breakfasts, nice small inns, and good resorts. I am also looking for can't miss things to see in these areas and any music or theatre things going on. Please help

lisa Oct 15th, 1999 11:03 AM

Maine is really wonderful so make sure you spend enough time there. I can't say enough good things about it. Spent 10 days in August of '97 driving from Boston up the coast of Maine and into Nova Scotia, and it was one of the best trips I've ever taken. My favorite places in Maine were Camden (chock full of wonderful B&Bs, shops, and restaurants -- so pretty!) and Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park. In Acadia, drive the loop around the park and then do some hiking. Drive to the top of Cadillac mountain at sunset -- it's gorgeous. <BR> <BR>Our favorite inn we stayed at in Maine was just outside of Boothbay Harbor -- the Lawnmeer Inn (www.lawnmeerinn.com) -- in a secluded location on the water. It's beautiful and has lots of character. Plus a wonderful dining room overlooking the water, and great food. Very relaxing. <BR> <BR>There is a website with lots more information at www.visitmaine.com, and we also found tons of great advice in the Frommer's New England book -- it never steered us wrong! (I know that's heresy on a Fodor's site, but I must say that while I find Fodor's website and particularly this forum to be better than Frommer's website, I have had better luck with Frommer's guidebooks than with Fodor's books). <BR> <BR>Also, if you do a search of this forum using the words "New England" you may bring up more helpful threads. <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR> <BR>Skip the tourist trap restaurants and for the best lobster, stop at a lobster pound. Ask the locals where the best one is and you won't go wrong. The freshest, most delicious lobster you ever tasted at a fraction of what they charge in restaurants for something rubbery.

Donna F Oct 17th, 1999 03:25 AM

Summer theatre will be just starting up in late June/early July. In NH there are theatres in Meredith, New London, Portsmouth, Tamarack, etc and Maine has theaters in Ogunquit, Arundel (new), and more. Yankee Magazine's website www.newengland.com can give you some good driving tours. Evening cruises on the Mt Washington/Lake Winnepasaukee usually feature music. There are various cruises out of Portsmouth, some to the Isle of Shoals, some just of historic interest around the harbor and Portsmouth is a lovely walk around city. Canterbury Shaker Village just outside of Concord NH has very interesting tours as well as a great restaurant. Occasionally there are special musical presentations. In Concord, the Capitol Center for the Arts has different events each weekend. Also look for events in Manchester NH.The Boston Sunday Globe and the Thursday edition have listings of events throughout New England. Possibly your local library has a copy? Yankee's site also contains a list of major events. Have fun. <BR>

arjay Oct 17th, 1999 06:49 AM

We were in Concord, Mass, last month to visit the home of Louisa May Alcott. (Very worthwhile if you're a fan). Unfortunately, we couldn't dally, but I would have loved to! The town is charming and looked like a great place to explore...and oh, that New England architecture! If you can squeeze the time, think about Nova Scotia and getting over to Cape Breton Island - it's breathtaking and SO worth the journey!

lhodas Oct 20th, 1999 09:29 AM

There are a great of inns in New England that provide itineriaries for traveling throughout New England. They have a great web site at www.passporttonewengland.com that would definately help you plan your trip

Kara Oct 21st, 1999 08:08 AM

Thanks so far for all the great ideas. Keep them coming.

Adam Dec 30th, 1999 07:01 AM

I have lived near Boston all my life and my favorite thing to do is go into Boston. There is so much going on in Boston in those months it would be hard to see it all. <BR> <BR>But other things that I like to do is go Up to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. There are plenty of B&B's up there. <BR> <BR>New Port Rhode Island is also a very cool place to go to. <BR> <BR>Just send me an email if you want more.

Adam Dec 30th, 1999 07:08 AM

I forgot to tell you that going to Portsmouth, New Hampshire and York, Maine is a must.

beth Dec 30th, 1999 11:54 AM

If you go to Portland, Maine, the Pomegranate is a delight (B&B). Handpainted walls and art abound. The owners couldn't have been nicer. They gave us their concert tickets for the night we arrived (but that doesn't come as a usual perk!)

Patrick Dec 30th, 1999 12:25 PM

Many good suggestions, but if you like theatre, don't miss the Goodspeed Opera House in Connecticut -- they produce top notch classic musicals in a wonderful old theatre --better than the usual New England summer theatre fare. Also you could stay at the wonderful old Griswold Inn for the night in near- by Essex, Ct. In the Berkshires, if you like dance, and depending upon the offering, Jacob's Pillow is wonderful -- and in addition to the regular show, we saw the student Broadway Musical Showcase before the main show --it was inspiring to see such wonderful, young talent. I hesitate to mention the most obvious in the Berkshires --Tanglewood, in particular. You'll never want for cultural happenings in the Berkshires. <BR>Incidentally, years ago we made our first trip through New England, starting in NYC and working our way across Long Island, then up the coast and through Maine. When we returned after 6 weeks, we both agreed, our favorite places were #1 New York City and #2 Boston. Of the other places, Newport R.I. was pretty outstanding. While we enjoyed the rest, the change from our home of Naples, Florida was more exciting in the two big cities. Just shows you how tastes can be different -- we still shock all our friends when we tell them that.

Mike Dec 30th, 1999 12:45 PM

If you go to Maine. Capt. Lord Mansion in Kennebunkport is a must. Camden is also terrific, a couple of good B+Bs right in town overlooking the harbor. Bar Harbor/Acadia is also great.