East Coast Trip

Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

East Coast Trip

We will be in Boston in July and plan to rent a car to drive to Saratoga Springs to see Skidmore College. After we tour the college we thought we would drive the next day to New York City and drop of the car. We will spend the next five nights in NYC and thought we could take a train to Sarah Lawrence for one day. Good idea or keep the car until after Sarah Lawrence? We are staying at the Gorham.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:59 PM

It will probably cost you more to park the car in NYC than to turn in the car and initiate another rental later.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:43 AM

I think it depends upon when during the 5 days you go to Sarah Lawrence. If it's at the end, why pay for 4 days of car + parking if you don't need to? You might be better off turning the car in & maybe renting another for one day to go to Bronxville. There are plenty of car rentals in the city.

Other thoughts

If you decide to keep the car, the Gorham lists their parking as $33/day but if you go to

http://www.paintnewyork.com/parking.htm

you may be able to get a much better rate that may be conveniently located to the hotel. Also, a poster here named Anthony has posted some good parking tips on another thread if you do a search. Type his name in the text search & look for a thread about NYC parking.

Do you need the car once you leave NYC?

Will you want to drive around Bronxville to see the area beyond the campus?

The train to Bronxville is simple but I don't know how far the campus is from the station although I'm sure there'll be cabs.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:30 PM

It is very easy to get to Bronxville by train, though I would check with Sarah Lawrence to see just how close it is to the train station and to make sure you get off at the right stop (my guess is that it's pretty close to the train). Grand Central is where you would catch the train out of the city and is a beautiful station and a great place to visit to get a feel for NY. If you keep your car, the main disadvantage would be the extra car rental cost and the hotel parking fees. But it's not hard to find your way out of Manhattan and up to Bronxville by car. Driving in the city can be intense but people often exaggerate the difficulty.

Search this Thread