East Coast Road Trip

Search

East Coast Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
East Coast Road Trip

My husband and I are taking a two week road trip down the east coast in mid to late Sept. We plan to start in Maine and fly out of Savannah. Any ideas on places to stay, eat, "must see" or avoid would be very helpful.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 10:17 AM

I would definatly include Charleston in your plans. It's a lovely, gracious city with lots to do.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 01:11 PM

If you drive along I-95, I'd recommend visiting Newport RI & Mystic CT - the Seaport. I-95 is quite busy/gridlocked, so some people take more northern routes, such as I-84 then south .. in that case, Old Sturbridge Village (like the Publyk House) and maybe seeing Mark Twain's home in Hartford CT.

How about heading down NJ & visiting Cape May, then taking the ferry over to Lewes DE? Plenty of old historic villages on the Delmarva Peninsula. Cross over to Crisfeld and visit Tangier Island, so isolated in the Chesapeake Bay that you'll notice an Elizabethian accent. You could head north & take US-301 towards DC/Fredericksburg, or just keep heading south, crossing the Chesapeak Bay Bridge/Tunnel on Rt US-13 - and stop at the south end of the southern tunnel to watch vessels go thru. Maybe head on down to Cape Hatteras, continuing on Rt US-17 thru Wilmington NC (visit the Battleship) on to Myrtle Beach, Charleston (for sure!) then Savannah (I love that word - sounds soooo southern! (even if it does mean grassy plain) I enjoyed visiting Okefenokee Swamp along the GA/FL state line, and St Augustine, both a little off your direct route, but worthwhile.

I took 8 days to drive from Orlando to Hartford CT a few years ago, and it's nice to take a leisurly drive, stopping often to "smell the roses"
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 12:46 AM

That's a tough question. We usually spend a week in one state/area. If you like handcrafts and organic living, you might want to start in Maine with the Common Ground Fair sponsored by the organic farmers association. It is in Unity but easy driving distance from Camden. Camden is a must. Visit the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland to see work by Maine artists. Heading south, stop at a great steamed lobster place on a dock. There are two places near Pemaquid Point plus wonderful views from the lighthouse. (Find Damariscotta on the map and head east.) Portland Maine has the Old Port area plus wonderful restaurants for finer dining. Have lunch in Portsmouth NH, again lots of good restaurant choices. Nice walking city, take a day cruise of the harbor or inland rivers or visit historic Strawbery Banke. Spend the night in Boston or Providence. Visit Newport mansions. We usually aim to avoid NYC and a quick drive thru NJ. Maybe Cape May visit? I second the trip down the Delmarva and the big bridge to VA. If not, Havre de Grace MD is a nice little town. We really haven't done the VA coast, opting for the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge instead. Charleston, definitely. Have lunch at the former tea plantation, Summerland. Also a brief stop in Beaufort SC to stretch your legs walking the lovely park next to the water.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info! Any ideas on a B&B in Maine, we are flying in on our anniversary and would like to spend a few days there. Also my husband HAS to see Yankee stadium but that is the only thing we really want to do in NY any ideas on what city to stay in past there.