Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

East Coast mountains for non-skiing, but snow.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Susan

Looking for recommendations on a nice place to go in early February. We're from FL, so we'd like a little snow, but we don't ski. Just looking for a nice 3-day weekend.

Thanks

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 02:35 AM
Donna F

Maybe Meredith NH on Lake Winnipesaukee would be a good spot. It's in the foothills of the White Mountains and the beautiful town of Sandwich is nearby. You could easily make a loop thru North Conway or go further up Rt 3 to drive thru Franconia Notch. There is a sled dog race in Laconia one weekend and then the following weekend there is the Sandwich Notch race. If the weather is snowless, it's still a beautfil area but if it's rainy you could head to Concord for museums, shopping, etc. Recommend you fly into Manchester, then it's an easy 1 1/2 hour drive (+/-). The Inn at Meredith Falls should have rooms which overlook the lake where there will be lots of ice fishing going on. Best restaurant in the area is The Homestead. The Corner House Inn in Center Sandwich is good too, but I'm not sure if they are open for lunch.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 04:45 AM
Teri

We went to Massanutten (near Harrisburg, VA) last year and had a blast. We don't ski either, but there was enough snow to play in. Massanutten is a timeshare resort (we got our 2 br chalet for less than $10 for a week on skyauction!) with indoor pools and recreation, and a ski lodge, etc. Hope this helps!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 04:51 AM
Cheryl

I would recommend Lake Placid, New York. It is located in one of the prettiest areas of N.Y., in the "high peaks" area. It is a very charming village with plenty of nice restaurants, shops, and winter activities. I would highly recommend accomodations at the Mirror Lake Inn which is right in the heart of the village, but off the main street. You can easily walk to most restaurants and shops from there.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 05:17 AM
bm

Lake Placid is an excellent suggestion. You can also take tours of the Olympic facilities there-you can even go down the bobsled run-it's quite expensive, but worth it!
I was also going to suggest Stowe, VT. There are plenty of other things to do besides skiing-snowshoeing, snowmobiling, xcountry skiing, shopping, dining etc.
North Conway/Jackson NH area might also fit the bill, for the same reasons above.
May I also suggest that you give skiing a try. Since you're from FL, you obviously don't get that many chances to try it! It is quite expensive, but ussually they have a pretty good package for never-evers that include rentals, lift ticket, and lessons.Not to mention the incredible views from the mountain. It's a blast!
Are you planning on flying? If so, for Placid, you'd fly into Montreal or Albany, NY. Stowe-Burlington VT. North Conway-Manchester NH, Portland ME, or Boston.
Have a great trip!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Don

I think it depends on how far north you want to go, and how well Mother Nature cooperates this Winter. You could potentially only go as far north as Asheville and surrounding areas and get plenty of snow at NC/TN ski areas. Further north in VA, Wintergreen and Massanutten are good choices if snow conditions are good. Out to West Virginia, Canaan Valley and Snowshoe usually have good snow conditions from December through March (it was snowing when I was there 2 weeks ago). Seven Springs PA and the Poconos might be good choices if you don't want to go as far as New England.