French Country Living Bankrupt???

Old Aug 21st, 2004, 04:37 PM
LHG

French Country Living Bankrupt???

Imagine my surprise after my three hour drive to the french country living store in Great Falls, Virginia -- it was closed! Anyone out there have information on whether there will be a big upcoming sale? I know there was one in July, but the place still has quite a few things in it.There are so many things I want from that catalog. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Old Aug 21st, 2004, 06:21 PM
dcespedes

I was shocked, too, when I called last week to follow up on an order. A recorded message stated the company filed under for bankruptcy under chapter 11 and that parent companies Ballard Design and ??? would not be affected which made me wonder if Ballard and ??? would possibly be selling off the remains? Too bad!

Old Aug 21st, 2004, 06:23 PM
dcespedes

ooops, way too many unders! Must have had way too many *hic*

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi - I have some new and unused FCL items that that I am going to sell on ebay. Were you looking for any curtains? I have found out about the bankruptcy court hearing and my friend is finding out when the auction is. I will post when I find out.
thanks. B
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:35 AM

Hi - I just found out that the auction has been cancelled. Someone purchased FCL out of bankruptcy. So - who know's what that means. I contacted a reporter in Northern VA. that wrote a story about this a few weeks ago - and she is going to find out more information and write another story.
Hope this helps.
B
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:45 AM

When someone buys a business out of bankruptcy, it can mean many things. They might just want the name and they'll close existing operations or they want to run the business and intend to reopen (The FAO Schwartz NY store, for example.)

What it doesn't mean is that those who've put deposits on furniture prior to the bankruptcy are guaranteed either their furniture or their money.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:33 PM
LHG

Thanks everyone for the info. ewarne--let me know as soon as you find out about the sale. Is it true that rue de france in closing in October?? My furniture world is falling apart!!

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 09:52 AM
LHG

ewarne--any news yet on who bought FCL?

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 10:12 AM

Well that explains why I stopped getting their catalog. Good thing I bought my plate rack when I did. Let's hope Ballard does fall to the same fate!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:25 AM

No word yet - still doing some research and waiting to see if the reporter at Connection Newspapers found out anything.