Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   East coast ....Bump skiing (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/east-coast-bump-skiing-762468/)

screen_name Jan 20th, 2009 09:20 AM

East coast ....Bump skiing

What east coast ski areas have moguls on green and/or blue trails?

While I am generally a black diamond skiier...I am just learning to ski moguls and want to start out on gentler slopes. Many ski areas only have them on expert trails.

I am in NJ and can go anywhere in NY, Vermont, PA for a long weekend.

thank you for your help!

MarieF Jan 20th, 2009 10:14 AM

You are not likely to find many bumps on green trails anywhere that I know of in VT or NH. Also, I've been to Killington in some winters where the bumps were bigger on blue trails than on some of the blacks. Bumps are basically a function of how much snow an area gets and how the area is groomed. Hence, the area will groom the greens pretty well and the blues/blacks not so much, depending on the conditions. For overall variety of learning terrain, I would suggest Killington but please, take a lesson on how to ski bumps (if you haven't already) and don't, for your sake and others, get out on a trail that you are not prepared to ski.

screen_name Jan 20th, 2009 10:52 AM

Yes, I am currently taking bump lessons but I need a better place to practice & build confidence.

I can remember a few years back when Killington had record snow and there were these delightfully easy bumps up in the Glades near the South Ridge Triple chair, I think.

I was hoping someone knew about some bump trails like that.

MarieF Jan 20th, 2009 11:14 AM

Sorry, I didn't intend to sound so strident about taking a lesson! It's a pet peeve of mine about people getting on bump trails when they aren't ready to ski them.

We've gotten so much snow already (I live in the Boston area) that the skiing is great up north. I would still recommend Killington (I know the area you mentioned) plus there are a couple of trails on Bear Mountain (not Outer Limits!!!) that you might enjoy. Bear Claw (which is black I think) and another blue trail I recall have bumps but are fairly wide and not too steep. The only problem with Bear Mountain on weekends is it gets pretty crowded.

You might also consider Okemo. I haven't been there for a few years but I recall that there were some trails there that were groomed on one side and bumpy on the other (so that you could ski in and out of the bumps). Also, the instructors there are good (I did their women's ski program a couple of times). Good luck - this is a good winter to try the bumps!

Erica_D Jan 20th, 2009 11:22 AM

I'm historically a Western skier (Rockies and Cascades) but woudn't hesitate to recommend Stratton in VT. I was there this weekend and was really impressed with the variety of terrain -- a generous selection of mogul fields, broad cruisers, forest trails, etc. There was plenty of bump skiing in blues and the black diamonds. Plus, conditions were ideal with fresh powder every day.

http://www.stratton.com/index.htm

We rented a house in Londonderry (using VRBO.com) that was 20 min to Stratton, 5 min to Magic, and 15 min to Bromley. Great location if you want to check out several mountains.

Good luck!

Loki Jan 20th, 2009 01:07 PM

Last week Hunter had some easier runs that were groomed on one side and bumped up on the other. But that can change quickly if they decide to mow it all.

screen_name Jan 21st, 2009 07:24 AM

thanks for the suggestions.

anyone else?

colbeck Jan 21st, 2009 10:46 AM

You must have good knees! I don't ski bumps, but asked a ski instructor in my office and he suggested Killington. It's the largest, and has something for everyone, including various levels of bump trails. They also have a good ski school that offers lessons in bump skiing.

telechick Jan 22nd, 2009 12:21 AM

I don't ski bumps, but I did end up on a bump trail at Stowe last year - the bottom of Star on the Front 4 was not too steep, but was VERY bumpy.

While not a real ski destination, Elk Mtn in PA often has some of their blacks groomed on one side and bumped on the other (like Outer Limits). Elk's blacks are more like blues at other places.

I'd also suggest Mad River Glen. They tend not to flatten everything out, so you can get some trails that aren't super steep but do have bumps on them (Grand Canyon comes to mind, although it is a black, it's not super steep). Also, b/c it's only skiers, you get a really good rhythm to the bumps. The one caveat is that MRG conditions are very snow dependent since they don't really make any.

nstevey Jan 22nd, 2009 04:44 AM

It's been awhile since I've been to Okemo, but if it's still there, there was a trail that would generally rate blue with gentle moguls. Wide too.

As far as I know, there are no moguls in Shawnee or I forget, the resort off exit 19 on the NYS Thruway. Perhaps Windham?

Gretchen Jan 22nd, 2009 04:46 AM

I no longer know anything about eastern ski areas, but my recollection is that by late in the day on blues there will be more moguls--before being groomed that night. Just a thought.

MarieF Jan 22nd, 2009 05:45 AM

Mad River is indeed a unique experience and the entire Warren/Waitsfield area is pretty. We were at Mad River last winter and really enjoyed it. However, I found the bump trails to be rather narrow and perhaps more challenging than the OP would want. Sugarbush is also in this area and may be another alternative. Also, Mad River gets really, really crowded on weekends due to its single chair lift, which is part of its charm.