Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   East Coast (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/east-coast-539855/)

cassiesmu Jun 27th, 2005 11:12 AM

East Coast

Does anyone have any suggestion on where to stay and go on the east coast. I am from Dallas and have never been to Main or Mass.?Any suggestion on beaches? The only place on the east coast I have been is NY. My family likes to stay in nice hotels with great service. What is the weather like in August?

shaz60 Jun 27th, 2005 11:19 AM

August weather is hot and muggy in both Maine and MA. I really couldn't recommend a place without knowing some of your interests. Both places have nice hotels.

nytraveler Jun 27th, 2005 11:23 AM

What types of beaches are you looking for? Sandy and populated? Rocky and deserted (au natural)? Are you OK with chilly water (this is the north Atlantic) or will you also want a place with a pool?

Are you looking for sophisicated - or simple and folksy?

What other activities are you interested in (hiking? lakes/canoing? shopping? historical sites?)

How many people? Budget?

nytraveler Jun 27th, 2005 11:24 AM

Sorry - in August weather can be hot (up to 90 in Maine, higher in Mass) and humid. - but is often cooler. But nothng like Texas.

Dreamer2 Jun 27th, 2005 11:30 AM

"Nice hotels with good service"... So you don't want smaller B&Bs and don't mind higher costs, correct?

You might want to start by investigating Chatham on Cape Cod (try the Chatham Bars Inn and the Wequassett Inn) and southern Maine (try the Black Point Inn in Scarborough and the Cape Arundel or Nonantum in Kennebunkport). If you go to Maine, you could visit Portland, Ogunquit, and outlets in Freeport or Kittery for school shopping. If you go to the Cape, a day trip out to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard is a must!

In Maine, they say there is only one month of summer: July. In my experience, August can be beastly hot, or the beginning of the cool-off (such as the last couple years). Anyplace on the shore, will be about 10 degrees cooler than inland. For example, when Concord, NH is close to 90*, coastal towns are in the low 80's, and the beach itself might be 78. I don't know if you would be able to swim in Maine ocean water, even in August it's pretty chilly. The Cape is a bit warmer.

Hope this helps you start your research for a great family trip. Have fun! :)

cassiesmu Jun 27th, 2005 11:32 AM

I am from Texas so hot isnt so bad. Interest would be shopping (not high end, but cute non-chain shops) I like historical stuff. Mostly to relax with a spa nearby. My mom likes nice hotels, 4 stars, with room service. Beaches would be nice with sand. Hotel with a pool will be great too. Somehting sophisticated! There will only be 2 of us and budget is medium to high.

Dont like crowds. Smelly/old hotels.

matss Jul 13th, 2005 02:02 PM

Go to Kennebunkport to shop, stay, and eat...it should please your mother.
Although Ogunquit's beach, shopping, accommodations, and restaurants are hard to beat.....there are no, thank heavens, big chain hotels in either place!